Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Moldy old photos

Gone, but not forgotten naimchase's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkansawyer
    The only riding I did on that bike was sitting in front with my dad. He would putt around town (pop 2000) with me holding onto the tank. Those great memories are what put motorcycling in my blood.
    I took my nieces for a ride on my red CB750 the same way. They’re 40 now, but it didn’t seem to work. Neither one rides.
    The Pontificating Poodle
    03 Tuono, 01 Mille/now Tuono, Enjoy City

[QUOTE=naimchase]

As much pleasure as I have had riding the last 40 years, I think that moment was one of the very best.

I know that feeling. I don't have a picture to back it up, but I do have a story.
    My Uncle Dave was a rather eccentric individual who would pop into town unannounced and leave almost as quiclky. Much to my parents chagrine, he had a large effect on my life as he encouraged my love for all things mechanical and especially motorcycles.
    He walked hunched over with a permanent limp courtesy of some left over sharpnel in his body he acquired during the war, WW II. He rode Harleys and Indians for Uncle Sam and as a young man I would listen all slack jawed to his stories.

Somewhere around 96 - 97 he came to visit my Mom. He had stopped riding many decades prior. I came over to visit on my new HD Electra Glide Standard.
    We exchanged stories had coffee and somehow I mentioned about taking him for a ride. He's up and out the door shuffling along the patio all hunched over and I say, what are you doing? He stops and turns his whole body around to me because his back and neck don't flex or twist and says, 'let's go.'
    I try to explain to him I don't have an extra helmet with me. His response, 'why do I care, I'm 80 years old, now lets go.'

So I go out and stabilize the bike as he climbs on, up and over the saddlebags, no trunk. I relegate myself to cruising the residential neighborhood. We cruise for about 10 minutes and then I pull back in the drive. He peels himself off the back and I get off he says with a major case of permagrin 'thanks alot, I never thought I would get a chance to be on one again'.
    With a twinkle in his eye and a tear in mine all I could say was, 'your welcome.'
    Last edited by MichaelB; 01-11-2007 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roberto42
    ......... I have a couple of wonderful older Kawasaki's that bring me great joy ..........
    Welcome. It seems you share our affliction.

Click on the little mountain scene at the top and paste in the url. Here's your baby:

Mighty handsome.
    Last edited by naimchase; 01-11-2007 at 11:57 PM.
    The Pontificating Poodle

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelB
    I know that feeling. I don't have a picture to back it up, but I do have a story.......
    Yes, you do understand.

Thanks for the great story. As much as we are criticized for riding and hesitate to involve others, we can easily forget what a special high point it can be for someone else to go for a ride.
    The Pontificating Poodle

apriliaforum expert Jet City Racer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelB
    With a twinkle in his eye and a tear in mine all I could say was, 'your welcome.'
    Thanks Michael, I've got one now too.
    "Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

JET CITY RACING
    Faster than the speed of darkness!

www.facebook.com/jetcityracer

AFRP #1

Thanks to all my 2012 Sponsors for keeping the dream alive!

www.maximausa.com
    www.scorpionusa.com
    www.drippinwet.com
    www.rhinomoto.com
    www.spidergrips.com
    www.calcoastmotorsports.com

apriliaforum expert Maxacceleration's Avatar
    Damn Roberto, sweet Kaw 750.
    I would drive to New Zealand to take that off your hands!!
    Ya just don't find them much...

Just plain fun, 1992 FULL WORKS YOSHIMURA ZR750

Beauty (the 1982) and the Beast (the 1992)

Thanks guy's,
    tried again to follow your instructions Naimchase to post the url but it didn't seem to work >> this is my real hotrod - 1992 full works motor, lightened crank rods valves - the full deal been working on this one for almost 3 years now, my friend Lindsay Pinker ex pro racer now very fast vintage superbike racer ( has an original hand build xxxx illegal ex Spencer 1981 Honda )has been kind enough to help and we have just finnished her. Last job was to re-build the FCR's , so last weekend the re-build kits arrived for the CR's and Fcr's stripped, sonic, pressure washed the bodies and rebuilt both sets to perfect, hand cut and made brand new cables and fuel lines, HV filters from a WSBK friend, today Lindsay arrived with 5 gallons of 110 av gas and 2 new sets of plugs, well I can tell you, 2 schoolboy's as my wife Cheryl added. The 1992 fired straight up after remembering to turn the gas on, the hand made Yoshimura pipe on this thing makes her scream like a banshee 1200 rpm >> 13,500rpm less than a second the guy next store came over to see what the hell was running - he thought it was an F1 car engine . We giggle like kids and shut it down. Move on to the beauty 1982 . She fires instantly clean and sharp, real crisp, Lindsay winds the idle down to about 1100 and she purrs the brapp // bbbrrrraaaappp nice and clean- he yells across the shed " now that my friend is music.... I yell back " No it's not" - and start beast wwrrraaapp waaaaaappppp and both reving up + yell back "" NOW that is FFFNNNN music.
    Here I am at the ends of the earth in New Zealand, beautiful summer day, with a dear friend who is the same age well he's 52 and im just about 50, who even though grew up 10,000 miles apart worshipped the same God's well him Spencer, me Lawson + Baker, are celebrating the successful completion of these two offspring laughing and smiling with tears in our eyes that they are done and better than we could have hoped. I look up at the kitchen window and my wife Cheryl is smiling radiantly down at the 2 of us talking shit, and she reminded me at that moment of my mom smiling down from our family homes kitchen window in 1973 when my friends all came over to my house to see my brand new 1973 Kasasaki 350 s2, crap 34 years ago.. and you know what it felt better now than it did then. Motorcycles and the friends that come from them are so very special that I had to take a moment to recover from that choked feeling, and take a wee bit of time to thank God and all my sponsors for making this "life moment" possible... Kawasaki -thank you for making bikes that keep me young at heart, and mostly for all the guy's out there (like all of you) who speak the language and understand exactly what I am trying to say here. Thanks Roberto
    the link to the 1992 is - http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/305879/
    she is much more beautiful now than when this pix was taken last year but you get the idea of the time and work that went into her.

Quote Originally Posted by roberto42
    Thanks guy's,
    tried again to follow your instructions Naimchase to post the url but it didn't seem to work
    Here ya go rookie.

"Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

JET CITY RACING

AFRP #1

www.maximausa.com
    www.scorpionusa.com
    www.drippinwet.com
    www.rhinomoto.com
    www.spidergrips.com

Here's some old school memorabilia for ya'.

JET CITY RACING

AFRP #1

www.maximausa.com
    www.scorpionusa.com
    www.drippinwet.com
    www.rhinomoto.com
    www.spidergrips.com

apriliaforum expert new forest man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet City Racer
    Here's some old school memorabilia for ya'.

That Maico fuel tank brings back some memories for me . Did you ever try to kick start a Maico 400 with its infamous kick back?

apriliaforum expert Aprilia_RSV_Dan's Avatar
    Here's my first pic on a mtorcycles
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Dam man. Unfortunatly don't have any pics because they were stolen out of my storage in 1979.
    Had a z750/4 w/yosh 860 kit and cams that I raced in Japan which was the identical but smaller displacement of the Kawasaki z900/4 that was shipped to the states. Miss my H1.
    Keep the pics coming!!
    --Tim
    '04 Factory in Silver
    :

Quote Originally Posted by naimchase
    Here is one of my favorite pictures.

It doesn’t show a motorcycle, but we are sitting on my CX500. It is October ’83. My mother was 73, and on a bus tour with friends. It was going through the Smokies for one day, and they were going around Cades Cove. I was 34, on a weekend trip with car, trailer, bikes, girlfriend, etc., and staying in Townsend. I just couldn’t let her see Cades Cove from a bus window. She loved to ride with me, and I had already taken her for a ride in the Rockies when she was 70.

I got up really early and hustled the company Buick over the very twisty Little River Road to Gatlinburg, got Mother from the motel before anyone else was up, hustled back over to Townsend, and dressed her in every warm thing we could get on her. I put her on the back of the CX and got to the gate at Cades Cove before it opened at dawn.

We rode through the wonderful 11-mile one-way one lane loop and experienced one of the most beautiful mornings ever. At one stop, her tour bus went by and her imprisoned friends waved enviously. It never stopped at all. Another bus did stop, and one lady her age asked timidly if she was on that motorcycle. Then the whole group gathered around her, ignoring their guide, as Mother held court and told about riding with her son.

As much pleasure as I have had riding the last 40 years, I think that moment was one of the very best.

Wow... those are the moments that leave a mark that you remember for the rest of your life. Amazing story. These are the moments that, as a "younger" guy, I love getting around the "older" guys and listening to. This is back in the day when cars were cars, and most mechanical issues could be fixed with a $20, a phone call, and a beer.
    My Photography Page
    My Facebook Page

Former Rides:
    2002 Aprilia RSVR (Dixie)
    2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory (AnnaBelle)
    2008 Specialized Roubaix S-Works (Ruby)
    2008 Specialized Transition Pro (Koa)
    2005 Trek Fuel 110 (Claude)
    198? Raleigh ? Fixie (The beach-mobile)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fish
    Wow... those are the moments that leave a mark that you remember for the rest of your life. .......
    Motorcycles are not just fun toys. They are a catalyst for the enjoyment of life. They enhance your own, and bring something out in those around you.
    Be open to the enthusiasm of riders and non-riders. You will be well rewarded.
    The Pontificating Poodle

Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast