Thread: Batty by name Batty by nature

apriliaforum prov-nov

Batty by name Batty by nature

Before I got the Falco I had a Trophy 3 which I was selling. A Polish guy comes around with his sister to look, and is over the moon. He wants the bike to take back to Poland and is going to buy it. I offer a test ride but he asks me to take him.

I thought I would show him what the bike can do and what a mean rider I am. I take him on a dual carriageway 2 minutes from the house. Next thing as I anchor up coming to a roundabout the front locks on diesel and we are sliding up the road.

The bike is wrecked. I phone home tell my girlfriend. As I am getting patched up at the roadside by a nurse who has seen what has happened I feel an almighty boot up the a**e, I turn around to see the guys sister going mental. Things calmed down and we both end up down the hospital.

Needless to say when I offered them a lift home they declined.

I am Polish. If you hurt one more I swear I'll

BTW Hope both of you get well soon...

I'm part Polish too and I find the boot in the ass funnier than all hell! Serves ya right for tossin' him down the road.........serves him right for gettin' on the back w/ a crazy Brit.

Well....
    Did you ask him if he still wanted to buy it?

Steve

oops, I forgot - Welcome and F*ck off!
    "7. I will never stop thanking Ducati for their refusal to sign me in 2009" --- Max Biaggi

'02 Falco
    Renegade high-mount, OZ wheels, JCG custom paint, PC III, 48 psi RSV chip, painted Mille swinger, Works Performance shock, Evo airbox/K&N, oversize intake, Jet Hot coated pipes, Heli-bars, MPL clutch slave, braided lines, alarm, Pazzo's, Puig screen, carbon stuff...many more...

'03 Futura
    Ash Black, BEF Exhaust, H-Pipe, Heli-bars, heated grips, tinted screen, alarm, 3 power outlets (2 Powerlet & Gerbing), charging LED, John's regulator, carbon hugger, Vista Cruise, MPL clutch slave, Falco forks, 320mm rotors, Pazzo's, Stebel TM80 horn, Tutoro chain oiler, K&N filter

For a country as heavily regulated as England, your heavy commercial vehicles must be in suprisingly poor shape, since I'm constantly reading about diesel spills everywhere... What's the deal??

Quote Originally Posted by venturaII
    For a country as heavily regulated as England, your heavy commercial vehicles must be in suprisingly poor shape, since I'm constantly reading about diesel spills everywhere... What's the deal??
    Yeah - so am I - seem to be mentioned in the biking press nearly every week however I hardly ever come across them.

Although I'm certainly not doubting that this was the reason for Batty's off (and a spill on a bend had me off about 30 years ago), I think there may be a tendency for riders to blame diesel for more accidents than it really causes as it can be a very convenient excuse.

Mind you, maybe the reason I don't see so many of these spills is that most of my mileage tends to be on back roads and I guess that the most likely places for trucks to dump oil are on A roads.

apriliaforum expert go_modem_go's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by venturaII
    In Europe, most cars have Diesel engines (less so in the UK, as they have expensive Diesel prices - but I'D say at least a third of cars over there are TDI's and the like).

Lorries don't spill that much - it's the cars and light vans which cause the brunt of spills. They fill their tanks up right to the limit if they see cheap Diesel at the supermarket, causing overflow at the first rundabout...

I have a Diesel cars as well, but never fill it up further than the auto-stop from the gas pump. However, many people will try to squeeze the extra 3 liters in, right until they can see it - causing overflow at the next turn. A nightmare for bikers.

Normal petrol isn't dangerous, as it evaporates within a few minutes. But with over two thrids of all new cars being Diesels, the likelyhood of slippery diesel oil spills has increased dramatically in the past decade...