Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: A fix for the leaking fuel cap and a bigger 'opening' for the fuel

Someone forgive me - I feel like a "dirty" criminal, kinda like I just ripped the tag off my matriss :P

These are one on those classic mods that gives the best bang for the buck (no pun intended) - actually FREE! One of those "why didn't I do this long ago". Mod was simple as grinding down the cone or fill funnel on a flatbed sander.

I did not have the leaky cap (yet), but only having this bike a little over 10 months ... this mod was already way OVER DUE! I couldn't stand fill-up time... you stick the nozzle in and use mental telepathy to sense when the tank is full. Sorry... my mental powers are not so much. But now that the mod is done, I feel like an environ-criminal (cough cough - being sarcastic)!! You all do know why that hole is so small right?? You guessed it - save the planet regs - much to regulate the nozzle size - right, like there's really is any leaded pumps still in existence!! But also to reduce potential hydrocarbon release (aka raw fuel vapors). Screw it I say, "I" much rather be a little more safe and visually monitor my fill-up procedures.

Yep, my "new" 2008 Dark Lion took a piss all over my jeans, shirt and jacket after putting gas in it for the first time today. Then I noticed the clear coat around the fuel cap is peeling off already. I just picked it up last Sunday and it came with a two year warranty, but I'm not thrilled knowing it took SuperhawkLGt a year to get his tank replaced under warranty. I doubt they have Dark Lion tanks from 2008 just laying around. If it wasn't for the clear coat issue I would just fix this myself and ride, but I can't roll with a tank peeling like a sunburned redneck. I can say that because I am a redneck.

Well i just noticed something rather disturbing. I opened up the fuel cap and noticed I don't have a fancy orange seal, or any rubber seal, like everyone else has discussed.

Name:  1-IMAG0708.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  110.5 KB

id be looking in your tank then

actually looks as if someone has had the cap apart...maybe to change lockset, and forgot the seals?
    shelbyguy- i ride, therefore i am
    Owning an Aprilia RSVR is like showing up anywhere with the hottest chick in the room

apriliaforum expert SuperhawkLGT's Avatar
    1 212 380 4400 direct to aprilia customer service. File a warranty claim and then keep on them like stink on shit.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperhawkLGT View Post
    1 212 380 4400 direct to aprilia customer service. File a warranty claim and then keep on them like stink on shit.
    Thanks bro, I've contacted the dealer and waiting for them to respond as well.

Looks like a great mod to do! On my list!
    1980 HONDA CBX
    2005 SUZUKI GSX1300R
    2009 RSV1000R

I'm not trying to drag a knee, I'm just cooling my balls!

Builder/fabricator: http://www.roaringtoyz.com/

apriliaforum expert
    Get this instead...worth it...IMO. Fit and finish was flawless. Got it from AF1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120622_171646.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	196883
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120622_171632.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	196884

Sorry you think it's intolerant of me to not tolerate your intolerance.

2007 RSVR 1000- Yeah, It has a few upgrades.....

We used to earn the things we desired in life. Now we're just encouraged to put our hand in the next guy's pocket.

- Don't go where trouble is likely to find you.
    - Some people attract trouble. Don't associate with them.
    - If you're minding your own business and trouble finds you anyway, do what it takes to de-escalate and walk away.
    - If walking away isn't a viable option, consider running.
    - If you have considered and/or exhausted all of your other options and you must fight to defend yourself, fight to kill.

Seems "murphy" has an account on here... because he must have read my post #46 !!
    My cap started leaking a bit, although I don't think it's related to the recent mod as the closing felt "light". So I added an extra piece of rubber behind the OEM and all is fine again. Nice and tight.

Narcosis - that a shocking photo! That orange/red retainer ring is a huge pain to pop off. Some have even broke theirs in the process!
    I was able to get mine off with a butter knife and some added heat from a heat gun - cap assm fully removed from the tank of course

Quote Originally Posted by shelbyguy View Post
    actually looks as if someone has had the cap apart...maybe to change lockset, and forgot the seals?
    Yup. Looks like a complete blunder - couldn't imagine that just falling off?? Perhaps never put on right in the 1st place. FWIW, you are missing three items in that photo: orange plastic ring, rubber "doughnut" flat gasket/seal, & the flat metal shim (same shape as the gasket).

Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    Seems "murphy" has an account on here... because he must have read my post #46 !!
    My cap started leaking a bit, although I don't think it's related to the recent mod as the closing felt "light". So I added an extra piece of rubber behind the OEM and all is fine again. Nice and tight.

Narcosis - that a shocking photo! That orange/red retainer ring is a huge pain to pop off. Some have even broke theirs in the process!
    I was able to get mine off with a butter knife and some added heat from a heat gun - cap assm fully removed from the tank of course

Yup. Looks like a complete blunder - couldn't imagine that just falling off?? Perhaps never put on right in the 1st place. FWIW, you are missing three items in that photo: orange plastic ring, rubber "doughnut" flat gasket/seal, & the flat metal shim (same shape as the gasket).

screws look boogered up
    Owning an Aprilia RSVR is like showing up anywhere with the hottest chick in the room

Took it back to dealer today, said they never seen anything like this before. There is no maring of the plastic which would indicate someone tried to pry the red plastic ring off. I noticed the screws looked like they had been touched too. An Aprilia tech is going to be at the dealership this week and the mechanic is going to show it to him because the red plastic ring doesn't even show up in his parts catalog. He said they may have to order an entire new gas cap, which means they will have to replace the keys, ignition switch and tamper system. Depends on availability of parts I guess. I'll let you know how it goes. Oh, he said it is unlikely Aprilia will replace the tank with eroding clear coat. Bummer, but he said we can document it and if it gets worse it will help my case in the future.

apriliaforum expert SuperhawkLGT's Avatar
    Well you know I got mine done so mention that to him. And don't let it go, squeaky wheel gets the grease, blah blah. I would give it a month tops before I called aprilia directly. For your info
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...-Gas-paint-bad
    Last edited by SuperhawkLGT; 07-08-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Narcosis View Post
    Took it back to dealer today, said they never seen anything like this before. There is no maring of the plastic which would indicate someone tried to pry the red plastic ring off. I noticed the screws looked like they had been touched too. An Aprilia tech is going to be at the dealership this week and the mechanic is going to show it to him because the red plastic ring doesn't even show up in his parts catalog. He said they may have to order an entire new gas cap, which means they will have to replace the keys, ignition switch and tamper system. Depends on availability of parts I guess. I'll let you know how it goes. Oh, he said it is unlikely Aprilia will replace the tank with eroding clear coat. Bummer, but he said we can document it and if it gets worse it will help my case in the future.
    or simply take the parts off the new cap that you need.?!?!?!

I'm not the one repairing it and it's under warranty, so I don't really have much say in the matter. The dealer Aprilia tech said he's never had to replace these components on a gas cap, so maybe the tech visiting from big brother Aprilia will have some ideas or more experience with this.

Agreed - it isn't hard to pop/swap the orange ring & gaskets,
    -OR- better yet, xfer the lock guts from one cap to another (i.e. I had mine apart just to lube & clean - nothing to it).

Narcosis - if they do it the 'hard way' as you've mentioned above, it's only going to mean more down-time most likely. So demand they order a new cap & just swap the lock mechanisms.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast