Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A fix for the leaking fuel cap and a bigger 'opening' for the fuel

A fix for the leaking fuel cap and a bigger 'opening' for the fuel

I fixed my leaky fuel cap last week and it worked a treat. Very easy and took 15 minutes.

Also fixed the problem of the fuel hole being too bloody small and fuel always spraying back out at me when I fill the tank.

Pics attached,

You dont need to remove the fuel cap at all to do the fix for the leak. Just pop off the orange/red plastic thingy you see in the pictures and the rubber seals are below that.

However I removed the fuel cap (4 allen key bolts) and lifted it out because I wanted to open up the hole for the fuel.

The rubber seal looked ok but I knew fuel was getting past it and leaking onto the tank and my crutch when riding. So I used some rubber I had lying around and cut a gasket of a similar size to the existing one. And I slipped the existing gasket off and put the new one on, then the old back on, then put it all back to gether.

Now there is a tighter seal when the fuel cap closes and it does not leak.

I used some Butinol, which is a roof sealing rubber. But an old inner tube would work too. And to get them all off there is a red cone/clip thing in the middle of the fuel cap. It just pops off when you place a screw driver under it. Then you can remove the seal.

Under the seal is also a large and thin metal washer, it helps the seal press in place against the bottom of the filler to seal it.

I put my rubber 'gasket' between the metal gasket washer and the normal rubber washer. But as an alternitive, if you dont have any rubber, you could put another thin bit of metal cut to shape to replace the above mentioned metal washer/gasket support.

However, while I had the cap off I got my trusty hacksaw and cut off the wee 1/2 inch funnel/cone that directs the fuel into the tank. This opened up the hole and makes filling the tank a LOT easier and faster.

But note, I cut the 'cone' up flush with the bottom of the filler. It isnt necessary to cut it this close. Best to cut the cone about 65-70% up. that will still give a big hole but will leave enough cone in place to press against the red plastic thingy that sits in the middle on the underside of the actual cap.

The leaking takes 15 min to fix and all up including cutting the fuel entry hole and reinstalling was all done in about 30 minutes and worked well on its first outing this Saturday with several fill ups right to the brim (to test)

The first pic shows the light gray coloured home made gasket 'seal' underneith the original fuel cap seal.

The second pic shows both mine and the original seals being pulled up, and you can see the thin flat stainless support washer thingy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel cap rubber.jpg 
Views:	1558 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	51551  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel Cap gaskets.jpg 
Views:	1569 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	51552  

Last edited by scott2ride; 06-21-2015 at 01:59 PM.
    ScottyDog

Official Aprilia Linkage Tester !

In The Garage

1. Tuono V4 1100 RF, stock gearing, Austin Racing GP2R pipe, Race ECU, heated grips, CRG Bar End mirrors, Hepco-Becker sports Rack with Givi Top box when touring, Intercom to both give and receive abuse, Nitrous kit, super charger, shitty Chinese folding levers & a flashy sticker that makes me faster...

2. Maserati Granturismo S 4.7L MC F1 Gearbox

3. Land Rover Discovery Sport

Here is a pic of the entry hole cut bigger to enable fuel to be more easily pored into the tank.

But I wouldnt cut it quite as close to the top as I did. Not a problem if you do, but I'd have the hole a little smalle so that it can provide support for the orange/red bit you can see in the pic. That pushes into the hole, [but does not seal against anything]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel cap hole.JPG 
Views:	1643 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	51553  

ScottyDog

In The Garage

1. Tuono V4 1100 RF, stock gearing, Austin Racing GP2R pipe, Race ECU, heated grips, CRG Bar End mirrors, Hepco-Becker sports Rack with Givi Top box when touring, Intercom to both give and receive abuse, Nitrous kit, super charger, shitty Chinese folding levers & a flashy sticker that makes me faster...

apriliaforum expert Dr. Thrillride's Avatar
    My stock gascap didn't leak, but the aftermarket jobbie I bought does. Waste of money...but better for racing as it eliminates the key and only leaks when you fill it up...not an issue on the track.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Thrillride
    ...and only leaks when you fill it up....
    Amazing that... mine only leaks when it has petrol in too !
    ScottyDog

In The Garage

apriliaforum expert Dr. Thrillride's Avatar
    okay smartass...9/10 vs. 1/10 full

(dipshit...what happened to your title?)...

Quote Originally Posted by scott2ride
    Amazing that... mine only leaks when it has petrol in too !

He he... I lost my title after threatening to post compromising photos of the AF1 team with a sheep....

Suddenly they removed it...

Either that or I asked!

But I see Im just a plain old 'aprilia'... not even a newbee or an expert... just aprilia... sniff sniff
    ScottyDog

In The Garage

leak gone

I fixed mine by putting an o-ring under the metal washer and now mine works great. 2 months 2000 miles loving it....

any pic please

I see mommy finally let you out of your play pen and gave back your cpu. good for you
    #1 Forum Mod Pisser-Offer

Some say a comet will fall from the sky. Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves. Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still. Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipshits. Some say the end is near. Some say we'll see armageddon soon. I certainly hope we will
    I sure could use a vacation from this stupid shit, silly shit, stupid shit... One great big festering neon distraction, I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied. Learn to swim!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pro-plus
    AND DONT YOU AND DICK SLAVER (DUCKSLARE) HAVE FUCK ALL BETTER TO DO WITH YOUR TIME THAN POST SHIT LIKE... THIS THAT YOU DO!

MY ENGLISH MITE NOT BE GOOD BUT IF YOUS REPLY GOOD LUCK.

ASS HOLES
    Ass holes eh.....

Gosh, you try and help people and this it the thanks ya get!
    ScottyDog

In The Garage

apriliaforum prov-nov
    If you don't like the thread then don't read it. What's with you guys? Someone sharing something that might be helpful and you give them shit.

Scott - keep it up mate, there's a shit load more people out there who appreciate it than don't.
    Work Hard, Play Hard, Ride Harder

Thanks Nash, but I never sweat the small stuff and if Pro-plus has a bee up his arse about something I certainly dont know what it is. Nor do I care for that matter. He just wont get help when he needs it!

But thanks for the support

I hope to have the mangled beast running again within a month.... yippieeeee!!!!!!!!!!
    ScottyDog

In The Garage

apriliaforum expert
    This one might actually come in handy. Got covered in spray back after filling the tank last night and not wearing my jacket.

Meanwhile on the other side of life... If you do indeed come from Scotland, which i highly doubt, this wee phrase should translate ney bother...

if ye cannae be bothered wey somefin constructive tae say, tack yer mince heed and feck yersel in the jacksey wey it, ya fockin preck...

Quote Originally Posted by MASHMAN
    "ney bother... if ye cannae be bothered wey somefin constructive tae say, tack yer mince heed and feck yersel in the jacksey wey it, ya fockin preck..."
    Ha ha ha ha LMAO
    ScottyDog

In The Garage

apriliaforum expert SuperhawkLGT's Avatar

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast