Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R&G frame sliders finally crash tested!

R&G frame sliders finally crash tested!

Sorry this took so long, busy, busy, busy... had to replace coil #2 last night and bleed the rear brake (PITA).
    Anyway, the pics and details...

Tight, twisty, Tail of the Dragon lowside, about 30-40 mph I think. Coming out of tight right followed by a slightly off-camber left. Lowside likely the result of needing to be smoother with the weight shifting in the change of direction, and too much brake combined with too much lean angle... the front end washed out. Hit the pavement pretty good and bounced a little (judging by the marks in the pavement) and slid a bit before resting on the shoulder.

The pics:

While the fairing is pretty chewed up (I've got stickers coving up alot of that at the moment until the pastic is repaired and the whole bike gets a repaint), all of my levers are intact and do not need replacing. I wedged the turn signal/mirror stalk back on and continued to ride all day with no ill effects. Personally, besides keep you bike scatch-free in a 0 mph tip-over, this is the real value of frame sliders... no broken lever/controls and no broken radiator mounts.

Now for the damage to the R&G frame slider itself:

Note the sheared mounting bolt while the other bolt is clearly bent.

Here you can see the spacer and slider compressing:

and here you can see how the aluminum block bent where it bolts to the frame...

Overall, I'd say they did their job (keeping me on the road). Keep in mind that the bike went down pretty hard.

No injuries for me except for two(2) quarter sized friction burns on my knee from rubbing the knee pad inside the leathers. It's been 2 weeks now and these areas have healed.
    Can't really complain.

Questions? Comments?
    Tim

'07 Tuono Factory

Leo Vince cans, 15/42, CF bits, Rizoma bars, bar ends, & mirrors, Austin Racing rear sets w/ GP shift, Factory Pro Evo shift star kit, radial clutch/brake, CRG levers, Evotech hangers, Powerbronze, billet sidestand, 6k HID, AF1 link plates, lightened flywheel, Öhlins TTX, BSTs, Bazzaz Fi-TC

'04 Futura in Gloss Black
    Factory Pro shift kit, 15/43, GP shift, CRG's, Evo clutch slave, Bef semi-full (ceramic coated), Wilbers shock, 6k HID, Mille fork lowers DLC coated w/ Öhlins and 4-pad calipers, radial clutch/brake, lightened flywheel

Looks to me like the slider did an excellent job of protecting the bike. Without it the fairing would have been destroyed & the bike would have dug in deeper damaging many other parts.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

Great Report!

Great pictures and assessment of the crash. I'd have to agree that the RGs did their job pretty well. It most certainly could have been much worse without them. Glad that I too have them installed.
    "The fact is that sport-touring is about delicious movement, freedom to go slowly and relax or to turn the throttle and run, with just enough of your favorite stuff in the saddlebags."--CW
    nero ash color | colder fuel disconnect | derestricted air intake | blinder laser jammer | throttlemeister | invisiguard paint protection | carbon fiber hugger | ohlins rear shock | ohlins fork re-valve | ohlins steering damper | R&G crash protectors | iridium spark plugs | apex SS lines | corbin backrest for 2-up riding | dark wheels customized | borella rectifier | pivot covers | k&n air filter | HIDx1 | pazzo shorty race levers | gixxer mirrors | Kisan Relay Flashers + Running Lights

I'm not convinced, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by EditTim
    Sorry this took so long, busy, busy, busy... had to replace coil #2 last night and bleed the rear brake (PITA).
    Anyway, the pics and details...

Tight, twisty, Tail of the Dragon lowside, about 30-40 mph I think. Coming out of tight right followed by a slightly off-camber left. Lowside likely the result of needing to be smoother with the weight shifting in the change of direction, and too much brake combined with too much lean angle... the front end washed out. Hit the pavement pretty good and bounced a little (judging by the marks in the pavement) and slid a bit before resting on the shoulder.

The pics:

While the fairing is pretty chewed up (I've got stickers coving up alot of that at the moment until the pastic is repaired and the whole bike gets a repaint), all of my levers are intact and do not need replacing. I wedged the turn signal/mirror stalk back on and continued to ride all day with no ill effects. Personally, besides keep you bike scatch-free in a 0 mph tip-over, this is the real value of frame sliders... no broken lever/controls and no broken radiator mounts.

Now for the damage to the R&G frame slider itself:

Note the sheared mounting bolt while the other bolt is clearly bent.

Here you can see the spacer and slider compressing:

and here you can see how the aluminum block bent where it bolts to the frame...

Overall, I'd say they did their job (keeping me on the road). Keep in mind that the bike went down pretty hard.

No injuries for me except for two(2) quarter sized friction burns on my knee from rubbing the knee pad inside the leathers. It's been 2 weeks now and these areas have healed.
    Can't really complain.

Questions? Comments?
    I lowsided without frame sliders at about 15 mph. The bike left pavement after about 20 feet and then went in the ditch. While I did break a clutch lever and bend the shift lever, the scratches on my fairings were only on the front edges and no worse than yours. Nothing dug into the pavement or the dirt on the shoulder as Bikepainter would suggest would happen. I'm just saying without a similar crash with and without the sliders, there's no way you could say conclusively they saved you from more damage. I
    do however believe that sliders might help keep a rider from more severe injuries since they would hit the pavement first and take some of the impact off the riders leg, arm, and shoulder. Who knows for sure. Anybody out there have more crashes with or without frame sliders? Please comment. I for one am not conivnced.

There is a big difference between 15 mph and 30-40 mph. Imagine falling out of a car at 15 mph, then imagine falling out of the same car at 35 mph.
    Same injuries? I think not.

And it is possible I was going faster. My usual corning speed on the dragon is 40-50 depending on how tight... I am being conservative in the speed estimate of 30-40.

Again, NO bent or broken parts. My clutch lever is $110 to replace and the SS bar ender isn't free either. I agree with John's analysis, but you're free to form your own opinion, that's why I posted the pics in the first place...

Anyway, here's a couple more pics:

You can see here the Rhinomoto front axle slider ground down a touch after it's dance with the pavement. No damage at all to the forks.

and the stickered after pic... temporary until I repair the plastic, whenever that will be.
    Last edited by EditTim; 09-30-2006 at 08:07 PM.
    Tim

'07 Tuono Factory

Leo Vince cans, 15/42, CF bits, Rizoma bars, bar ends, & mirrors, Austin Racing rear sets w/ GP shift, Factory Pro Evo shift star kit, radial clutch/brake, CRG levers, Evotech hangers, Powerbronze, billet sidestand, 6k HID, AF1 link plates, lightened flywheel, Öhlins TTX, BSTs, Bazzaz Fi-TC

Factory Pro shift kit, 15/43, GP shift, CRG's, Evo clutch slave, Bef semi-full (ceramic coated), Wilbers shock, 6k HID, Mille fork lowers DLC coated w/ Öhlins and 4-pad calipers, radial clutch/brake, lightened flywheel

Thanks for the pics Tim.

Yep, my R&G's give me some piece of mind. I am a little concerned about the deformation that occurred to the bolts and where it mounts to the frame. Looks like you got it back together okay though.

I can imagine that when it bounced, it must have come down with quite a lot of force.

Cheers, Scott
    2015 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring
    2006 Honda VFR800
    2004 Silver Futura(sold) - Throttlemeister, AF1 Metal QD, Powerlet, Derestricted, Mille air boot, R&G Frame Sliders (strongly recommended), Laminar Lip (bought used-not that great), Helibars (awesome), Techmount (not my favorite), V1 (don't bother using), Geza cover, Staintunes (bought used-love them!), various RAM stuff, Garmin 2820, RSVR mirrors, Bagster system (bought used, love it), Rectifier upgrade, H-Pipe (awesome)
    1984 Moto Guzzi LeMansIII

Quote Originally Posted by dugkim
    Great pictures and assessment of the crash. I'd have to agree that the RGs did their job pretty well. It most certainly could have been much worse without them. Glad that I too have them installed.
    I had the bike tip over at 0 mph without frame sliders and I had more damage. No slide marks like EditTim's but the left panel was cracked, so was the seat panel and upper fairing panel and worst of all the radiator mount broke, resulting in 3 days of work before I was back on the road.

No I'd say the R&G's did exactly what it says on the tin: keep bike and rider from more damage and bend and break at the right places. Only downside is you now need to get new ones.

Glad you came out of that one relatively unscaved, Tim!
    This Must Be The Place

I went down in front of a turning car last year at about 10km/h without sliders and sustained just on $6k (AUD) of damage. Admittedly she did drive over my front wheel, but I needed new clutch lever, gear lever, windscreen, mirror, and wheel. I also needed every piece of plastic on the left side replaced or repaired as well. I've got the sliders now and feel a whole lot better about preserving the bike if I ever go down again. Thanks for sharing the crash data.

Mike

Do They????!!!! Don't They???!!!!

Tim, I'm sorry to hear that you went down, but extreemly glad there was no major injury to you.

I had almost the identical accident with a few minor variations about 18 months ago. One variation was I was sans sliders at the time. The other significant variant was my road speed was aprox. 20mph.

San sliders I sustaind more damage to the upper fairing breaking the left turn signal off, cracking the upper fairing on both sides and necessitating their replacemant but the rest of the impact looked like yours.

I conclude that the sliders did their job and prevented more extensive damage.
    That's a real good thing with those M/C's, levers, and fork lowers. The deflection on the slider and bolt would be expected with those forces. Of course all are variables and could come out differently for others in a crash. The 'ole YMMV
    John
    2006 BMW K1200SLeo Vince, ya it's modded.
    2000 Duc
    01' Candy Apple Red er (Flame Red the amazingly fast color), TaylorMades, John B's rectifier w/wiring mods, mille air box, polished wheels, de-identified, RhinoMoto sliders, kevlar and graphite kknuder valves,metal fuel qd, Odyssey 545 dry cell bat. fully optioned Wilbers 641, Lindemann Engeering re-worked forks, chrome reverse muffler bearings, Strada's , hone extruded hyper-drive

I'm sorry you had to be this forum's guinea-pig for the crash protectors.
    Glad you got out ok!
    Rob - '01 Rosso Flame

"Riders Create More Problems Than Motorcycles Are Designed To Handle" - Keith Code

What analysis?

Man I don't know what I was thinking! Your one time crash and damage photos clearly prove without a doubt that frame sliders work. Have you ever heard of someone falling out of a building and receiving no injuries? Or someone tripping and breaking their arm. It's all about the variables. Impact force, angle, friction, materials, mass, acceleration, etc.. I know racers use them and they certainly seem like they would help, but your photos just show me that you were lucky. Glad you were and be safe out there. Maybe you should slow down bit. It seems like Futuras lowside often based on info in this forum. Or should I say that all Futuras lowside on the left since I have two data sets, yours and mine? That's twice the data you've presented so it must be so. Sorry, I'm a smartass but it's all in good fun and I really like to debate things (ask my wife) and unless someone can provide sufficient data to support their claims or opinions, I just can't agree. Well the wife and I are going for a ride it's 65 and sunny out. Have a good one.
    Quote Originally Posted by EditTim
    There is a big difference between 15 mph and 30-40 mph. Imagine falling out of a car at 15 mph, then imagialling out of the same car at 35 mph.
    Same injuries? I think not.

And it is possible I was going faster. My usual corning speed on the dragon is 40-50 depending on how tight... I am being conservative in the speed estimate of 30-40.

Again, NO bent or broken parts. My clutch lever is $110 to replace and the SS bar ender isn't free either. I agree with John's analysis, but you're free to form your own opinion, that's why I posted the pics in the first place...

Anyway, here's a couple more pics:

You can see here the Rhinomoto front axle slider ground down a touch after it's dance with the pavement. No damage at all to the forks.

and the stickered after pic... temporary until I repair the plastic, whenever that will be.

Glad to hear you're alright after the slide Tim, but what about that Schon pool cue you used as a display stand for the bent slider? I hope you didn't have the other end stuck in the ground or in a vice.
    “The road’s what counts...don’t worry about where it’s goin’."
    - Sam Shepard
    "When I'm riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive."
    -Neil Peart

Quote Originally Posted by RPB
    I'm sorry you had to be this forum's guinea-pig for the crash protectors.
    Glad you got out ok!
    Thanks everyone for the sentiments. I wasn't exactly stoked about crashing and thrilled I wasn't injured at all, but the funny thing is, what is the first thing that goes through many of our minds after a crash... is the bike o.k., is it rideable?

Seems like I called for volunteers to crash test the R&G's, serves me right I supose... but really, it's my duty to contribute to the forum in any constuctive way I can...

Oh, and Mike (fixer), it amazing the tasks that Schon is "game" for...
    Tim

'07 Tuono Factory

You were probably better off with the frame sliders. I had a lowside at 10 mph a year ago and ruptured the left-side radiator. The clutch lever was bent into an impossible position (as noted in Steve Martin's "The Cruel Shoes") and the gear shifter broke off. It sounds like none of this happened to your bike. No need to say the left side fairings were completely toasted. Insurance covered the $4000.00 repair bill.

Just the fact that you were able to get back on the bike and ride the rest of the day speaks volumes for the sliders. Mine was a smoking mess that I had to put in gear with MY HAND just to ride one mile home.

Sorry to hear about your wreck, but at 30-40 miles per hour you did very well by simply not getting hurt. Since you're healthy you are in a good position to fix the bike, and, as you said yourself, we all know THAT's what's REALLY matters.

no pics available

hmm, to slide or not to slide? In june I lowsided my RSVR coming down a mountain pass in France. Bike felt to the left side at about 50mph. While it piroueted down the road doing nice grand circles, I was a bit busier trying to a) get my face off the asphalt b) not run off the road(20 foot drop). Managed to get my 2 tasks done and up, limping over to the bike. It had managed to find a ditch and was standing up no damage to rt side.
    Left side damage? shift lever ball, ground down a bit. left mid cracked, really grated a lot. upper mid, wind deflector, and some damage to rear cowling.
    slider? about 3 inches shorter than a few minutes ago and bore the brunt of the slide and impact. Without it, the fairing would have worn away, oil reservoir would be gone, radiator broken off, foot peg did break away, but it was aftermarket and made to do that. I will definitely replace the sliders!
    The comment about sliders protecting you the rider? Not believing it. Unless your foot was wedged under while sliding, maybe, but as for me, I was moving along independent of the bike, so sliders weren't really doing me much good at all...
    Jimbob
    Actually, Formerly Teachin DevilDogs to ride bikes
    01 RSVR, 10 HD XR1200 (for sale!) 11 BMW 1200RT, 04 1150 RT gone, 97 Honda VFREVER, KLX250S
    00 RSV-gone, 04 Futura-gone - 04 Futura-gone..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast