Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About to go to the dark side

apriliaforum prov-nov

About to go to the dark side

Please help. I've had my 2004 RSV Factory for 2 years now and love it. I moved to the DC area and the closest dealer is up around Baltimore. I'm very busy at work and find it difficult to take my bike there to get serviced. Beyond that, there is a 2 month wait for service appointments. There is a Ducati dealer only about 10-15 miles from my house and they have an 2006 999r for $24,000. I'm seriously thinking of going this route. I've loved my Aprilia and still do but the hassles of ownership seem to be getting too great. I hope I'm making the right decision. What do you think?

apriliaforum expert
    Beyond that, there is a 2 month wait for service appointments. There is a Ducati dealer only about 10-15 miles from my house and they have an 2006 999r for $24,000. I'm seriously thinking of going this route. I've loved my Aprilia and still do but the hassles of ownership seem to be getting too great. I hope I'm making the right decision. What do you think?
    I saw that at Colemans too in Va.....my experience with them for service is not really that good when I got my RSV from them.....They have long waits for simple things...unless you pay about 2K or more dollars for a "service contract" that allows you to get to the "front" of the service line.
    I dropped off my RSV to them for a first service before a two week trip to Europe a few years ago. When I got back it had not been touched.....so another two week wait......Then I had to bitch to them to switch to map 2......
    Overall, IMO their shop is terribly run.

apriliaforum expert derrickhackman's Avatar
    What kind of 'service' are you talking about? I would think you take it in for the first 600 miles for valve adjustments etc... have MAP2 installed (if you have open exhaust cans) then really never have to see them again (unless you have a recall... like the swingarm). Basic maintenance like changing oil and bleeding clutch/brake ... flushing fluids you should do. This is no reason to get rid of the bike (I don't know if it is).

Again, what kind of service do you need for the bike?

Personally, I have to drive 2 hrs to get to the 'local' aprilia dealer. I only go there if something very bad happens.

Finally, you may find that owning a Duc will require more trips to the shop than the Ape requires ...
    What am I doing now ?

For the everyday mechanical stuff, Fast Lane in Chantilly will do the work if you're not into that sort of thing. They have a dyno in house, and they did my 600mi service while I went to lunch. I would recommend against doing business with Coleman.

After getting a few tools from AF1, you'll discover that working on the aprilia is really, really easy. If you ever have a question, this place will give you the answer.
    2007 Black RSV
    Akra Ti slip with no baffles, Map 2 + PC3 custom, K&N Air filters, Mobil-1 VTwin olio,Evo tail bracket, Ohlins Damper, fat owner fork springs, Clamped fuel lines

CAGE: 2002 Acura RSX-S, K&N, M1, A-spec rims, camber kit, 6-digit mileage, and zero-payment.
    CAGE: 2008 Mercedes S550 4MATIC, black is faster, AMG options

Graphicologist Extraordinaire ckruzel's Avatar
    i try to do anything i can to my bike myself, i enjoy working on and maintaining it
    2010 White RSV4R
    Custom Graphics
    decal questions? email me at kruzel (at)drippinwet.com
    check us out on facebook!
    Making Decals for some of the Fastest People on the Planet
    J.Hayes | M.Paris | J.Herrin | Z.Herrin | D.Westby | T.Knapp | S.Coviello | S.Villa | H.Nash | B.Solis | J.Day | C.West | A.Welsh | E.Meyers | D.Eslick | G.May | C.Alexander | D.Gaviria | J.Rispoli | J.Pascarella | B.Cretu | S.Mesa |C.Sellerom (check us out on facebook)

Quote Originally Posted by ckruzel
    i try to do anything i can to my bike myself, i enjoy working on and maintaining it
    Ditto
    2004 Aprilia RSV1000R Factory
    2005 MV Agusta F4 Tamburini #254

"I know I'm human. And if you were all these things, then you'd just attack me right now, so some of you are still human."

apriliaforum expert
    What kind of 'service' are you talking about? I would think you take it in for the first 600 miles for valve adjustments etc... have MAP2 installed
    Thats what it was for......rest assured I can do any repair on my previous bikes, but I was not going to buy an axione tool for a one time thing. Aside from grinding valve seats, I can do any repair when I have the time and the tools.

ok so you have to wait a month to have MAP 2 installed and the valves clearance checked ... I still cannot see how getting rid of the bike (that you have not even ridden at it full potential) for a Duc solves the problem. The bike is not the issue at all. It is one of two things.

1/ the shop ... poor turn around
    2/ look in the mirror ... your expectations of the shop are too high.

if it is #2 then you have some options.
    1/ drive to a new shop (milage is not a factor)
    2/ ride with MAP1, get a book and check your valves yourself.
    3/ perhaps send your ecu to a shop and have them MAP it for you and still do your valves.

There may be other options but you get the idea.
    What am I doing now ?

Graphicologist Extraordinaire ckruzel's Avatar
    in all fairness a 999R is a pretty sweet bike
    2010 White RSV4R
    Custom Graphics
    decal questions? email me at kruzel (at)drippinwet.com
    check us out on facebook!
    Making Decals for some of the Fastest People on the Planet
    J.Hayes | M.Paris | J.Herrin | Z.Herrin | D.Westby | T.Knapp | S.Coviello | S.Villa | H.Nash | B.Solis | J.Day | C.West | A.Welsh | E.Meyers | D.Eslick | G.May | C.Alexander | D.Gaviria | J.Rispoli | J.Pascarella | B.Cretu | S.Mesa |C.Sellerom (check us out on facebook)

QUICK!!!!! Somebody get some pills for poor ckruzel!!! he' loosing it!!!.....
    Ride.In.Peace Jens, my dear friend!

WWW.QMS.BE !!!!!

07 rsv factory/project mayhem1... I4's for breakfast...
    07 sxv550/project mayhem2... hypermotards for dinner..... we'll skip lunch....

it's all extremely funny.....untill somebody gets hurt.....then it gets hilarious!!!!!!
    i've met the 'man in the street'..... and he's a w*nker!

Yeah the 999 is sweet but I feel bad for the Aprilia brand ... just cuz the shop can't service you is not really a reason to give up on the bike itself. This is my point. But in all fairness if Aprilia cannot help their dealers and the dealers cannot help the customer ... well then I see a Duc sitting in all our garages.

Don't get me wrong I am trying to be an Aprilia skinhead here but just wanted to point out that it is not the bikes falut ... kida like a lost dog. It is the dealers falut and perhaps Aprilia the company. But the bike you get on and ride is not at fault.

That just sounds weird ... i gotta get back to writing code ... i am a bit off today with human conversations i guess ....
    What am I doing now ?

Kens Cycle Center in Richmond

If you're 15 miles from Coleman's it might be worth taking the bike down to Ken's in Richmond, its off 9 mile road near the airport. Ed Carpenter is the Aprilia mechanic there and he is very good. Ive had my bike in and out of there several times very fast turnaround. Under a week to have a sprag clutch replaced and back on the road.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    i can not imagine how much of a pain in the but, and the pocket a 999r would be to maintain. i use the dealer of which you speak in the balto area and while it does take a little time for work, they are honest and competent.(motostrada)
    as far as looks are concerned check out the new pictures of my bike in the gallery- gloss paint, new decals, carbon bits. when i bought my bike i thought the 999 was better looking. not any more!

apriliaforum expert
    use the dealer of which you speak in the balto area and while it does take a little time for work, they are honest and competent.(motostrada)
    Don't get me going on again about that poor excuse for a shop either.........After he told me that he would not service my bike or put me on the looooooooonnnnngggg wait list simply because I did not buy from him I should have sent a letter to Aprilia Hq and had his franchiase yanked......all I wanted was the new clutch and brake parts.....I even offered to just buy the damm things and put them on myself......but nooooooooooooooooooooo.........I hope they go out of business and another dealer gets the brand.

cheers now

Ken's Cycle Center Info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast