Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: suggestions for suspension setup ...

suggestions for suspension setup ...

i've had my Falco for a few weeks now. i reset the suspension settings to factory standard - rear feels ok but the fronts not great.

i weigh 70kg's (155 pounds) - ride 50% rough country roads and 50% smooth highway roads - running stock suspension components all round and have near new michelin pilots. rarely have a passenger but carry the vetura rack loaded on the highway runs.

any advice for suspension settings / tyre pressures etc would be appreciated - i know it's a personal thing but there must be heaps of knowledge amongst you guys to help me get close and then i can fine tune from there.

For your weight the rear shock should be able to be set reasonably close, but it still isn't perfect, knowing it's the std Sux shock. You can get it though in the ballpark.

As to the front, it's going to be tough for your weight. It's more suited to 100kg riders. Go figure Aprilia. They put a 70kg suitable rider shock on the rear and a +90kg rider spring in the front. On a side note maybe on the front 1/4 turn on compression from all the way out, and 1/4 turn for rebound from all the way out. That is back the adjusters all the way out and then turn them 1/4 turn in from soft.

Personally if you have a spare couple of hundred available in your kitty, send the forks out for a rework, and swap the rear out as a last resort to an RSV pre 01 shock or an Ohlins/Penske. You will then have a better solution to any riding you do.

Just my 2 cents.

Tyre pressures for Pilots I would recommend, 36F/38R

Hoh, Hum, another shitty day in paradise!

thanks - yeah it handles much better with a full tank of fuel ... will make those adjustments tomorrow and let you know how it feels.

i will send the forks in for a rework in the next few weeks - thanks for the info - every little bit helps!

set your sag set your sag set your sag set your sag

thanks guys - i'll make the adjustments this week and let you know the results. also putting it in for a full service at aprilia (early sept) so i'll get them to check everything out there. appreciate it

Ok please don’t laugh…….
    I’m around the same weight as reflex and am just sat here wondering if changing the fork oil to a lower viscosity would make it handle better or is just a case of changing springs.
    If it is a case of changing springs would you need to alter anything else, valves etc.

apriliaforum Junkie
    i weight about 75-78kgs, ive spent the last 3 months making adjustments, ive replaced the rear shock and it has made a real difference,
    shall i post my settings?

sms

Same ballpark in weight.

Swapped to the Mille Yellow Sachs Shock and used the Performance Bike suspension setup guide I found via the ARS site.

Falco handles much better, but it still feels more planted with my 14 year old son on the back?

BTW, this thread has an excellent yellow falco response ratio

yes - post ur setting please

what shock did u change to? any other advice ... i'm all ears!

Reflex,

I need to look a bit further to find the original settings, I have a hard copy so I can always scan that if I can't find a link. I used the Falco guide for the front and a Mille guide for the back someone on here can probably suggest some recommended settings for standard forks + mille Sachs shock???

The shock is a standard Mille (2001-2003 I think) Sachs version with the Yellow spring. They come up on Ebay but you MUST get the linkages that go with it as the Falco ones only match the white springed version found on early Milles.

New shaped Milles are another matter, of which I have no experience.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by reflex
    yes - post ur setting please

what shock did u change to? any other advice ... i'm all ears!
    ok my settings:4.5 rings showing on clamp
    rebound:3 turns fully out
    preload:6 rings showing
    compression:1 turn out

rear settings:preload:2.5 cm on thread showing
    compression:max
    rebound:3 clicks from full.
    just make a note of your settings first

sms

oh got ohlins rear:P

apriliaforum Junkie
    The shock is a standard Mille (2001-2003 I think) Sachs version with the Yellow spring. They come up on Ebay but you MUST get the linkages that go with it as the Falco ones only match the white springed version found on early Milles.

New shaped Milles are another matter, of which I have no experience.[/QUOTE]

well i bought the yellow spring version with the canister on the top, got it home and it bolted staight on, with the exception of a spacer i had to make to stop the shock twisting, tried to set it up and found the compression dial wasnt working and i took it back and got the ohlins for no extra cost:P

sms

SMS,

This has already be well documented on here so I don't want to go on too much.

I guess the Ohlins shock you got was compatible with the standard linkages. The only Mille shocks that go with the Falco linkages are the blue springed Sachs (not sure with Ohlins version for early Milles), any other springs, Sachs or Ohlins, you need the plates and connecting rod. Use the Falco bits and the settings waaaaaaayyyyyyy too soft

Reflex,

Setting documents being scanned so I post later today.

thanks guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast