Thread: 2017 V7 III Racer, re-birth.

apriliaforum prov-nov

2017 V7 III Racer, re-birth.

Originally a standard 2 tone matte gray & black 2017 V7 III Racer.

I tried to download pictures, but was not able. If anyone PM's me I'll send them directly.

Beyond the obvious, a Pyramid fender extender was blended into the factory contours.
    The wind screen, from Dart plastics, is their only one available made from ABS. It can be painted w/excellent results. The side panels of formed aluminum are powder coated @ the factory, all models I assume. They cannot be painted w/out 1st being bead blasted w/plastic pellets, plus typical prep.
    I wanted to add a tan Anniversario bench seat, but this brown version of the stock Racer was available for cheap. It appears all V7’s from 2012 on, fit and latch alike.
    The cast wheels were swapped from a Stone for the stock wires. I don’t like tubes in tires going beyond city limits. The wheels are powder coated a cream color, despite what the photographs show. Stock bars were swapped for Verde Legnano bars. ~1" rise.

My dealer, Jim Hamlin, Hamlin Cycles Bethel, CT, bailed me out w/2 handmade frt. axle spacers (factory originals, apparently need to be taken, after hours, from the assembly line), or can you wait 2 - 8 wx and counting? A fone call last Friday to Jim; he dropped a frt. wheel in the shop to get samples. His machine shop guy (w/in walking distance), duped them. They were ready by noon Saturday! Izzat generous of him?

Decals are a whole ‘nuther thing. Order now for your grandchildren. At some point I hope to find a smallish, gold, spread eagle decal like on the tank, to put near the bottom of the wind screen. Those ordered & delivered took 14 wx.

Rode a bit over 300 miles on 6/16. If that bike could shed 100#'s it would be perfect. Good fortune, R3~

How about this..."teach a man to fish"...

Here's how to post pictures on forums.

where you type the message put (without the quotes - link to your photo in the middle) "[img]web-link-to-image-here-no-spaces[/img]"

Now just find some site to upload your photos, you can use http://photobucket.com/

Here's an example....if you quote me you can see what I did...here's my Racer...

"Tuono doesn't want to gently take your hand and guide you on a trip, it wants to rip it off and run away with it! I always get the feeling that to ride a Tuono you have to be a real man, prepared to fight it every step of the way, where as on the Triumph you can have an off day and not be left feeling inadequate"
    "Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic"

JOIN ME ONAND FOR SOCAL APRILIA GROUP RIDES & UPDATES FOLLOW ME ON

apriliaforum prov-nov

Thanks, BeauK1

Quote Originally Posted by Roebling3 View Post
    Originally a standard 2 tone matte gray & black 2017 V7 III Racer.

I tried to download pictures, but was not able. If anyone PM's me I'll send them directly.

Beyond the obvious, a Pyramid fender extender was blended into the factory contours.
    The wind screen, from Dart plastics, is their only one available made from ABS. It can be painted w/excellent results. The side panels of formed aluminum are powder coated @ the factory, all models I assume. They cannot be painted w/out 1st being bead blasted w/plastic pellets, plus typical prep.
    I wanted to add a tan Anniversario bench seat, but this brown version of the stock Racer was available for cheap. It appears all V7’s from 2012 on, fit and latch alike.
    The cast wheels were swapped from a Stone for the stock wires. I don’t like tubes in tires going beyond city limits. The wheels are powder coated a cream color, despite what the photographs show. Stock bars were swapped for Verde Legnano bars. ~1" rise.

My dealer, Jim Hamlin, Hamlin Cycles Bethel, CT, bailed me out w/2 handmade frt. axle spacers (factory originals, apparently need to be taken, after hours, from the assembly line), or can you wait 2 - 8 wx and counting? A fone call last Friday to Jim; he dropped a frt. wheel in the shop to get samples. His machine shop guy (w/in walking distance), duped them. They were ready by noon Saturday! Izzat generous of him?

Decals are a whole ‘nuther thing. Order now for your grandchildren. At some point I hope to find a smallish, gold, spread eagle decal like on the tank, to put near the bottom of the wind screen. Those ordered & delivered took 14 wx.

Rode a bit over 300 miles on 6/16. If that bike could shed 100#'s it would be perfect. Good fortune, R3~

apriliaforum Junkie
    Just to clarify here, where do you propose the pillion's posterior is placed?

On the foam hump that threatens to avalanche ones arse rearwards onto the admittedly more comfortable looking 'wrack' of chrome or is the riders platform indeed a table set for two?

I am genuinely curious as to how all this works.
    Last edited by Chris Wilson; 06-27-2018 at 09:44 PM.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Chris, You're imagining I carry a passenger. Why? It's a V7 Racer. It was not supposed to accommodate a pillion. Even has a sticker warning of such. The 'arrangement' was enough to carry a weekends worth of essentials to blast about lovely rural, mountainous roads of eastern, upstate New York for 3 days. 729 total miles.
    Good fortune, R3~

apriliaforum Junkie
    Rear footpegs maybe?

That and the insistance in another thread that its possible.
    Last edited by Chris Wilson; 07-02-2018 at 04:07 AM.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Rear foot pegs on a Racer? The entire V7 Racer concept is called retro. It's where you mess with the original until there's an oow, ah and insist that it's just right. I didn't buy it for any of that. I bought that model because it was a less expensive way to have decent foot controls, ~ 1" higher bars (verde legnano), cast wheels (ex stone and a $400.00 kick back), plus decent rear suspension. . . and not have the hassle of pedaling replaced parts.
    I waited for the series 3 to get the upgraded engine and trans*. I intended to paint the entire bike b4 I ordered it. I cringe at the thoughts of being un-seen on a mc. I truly dislike the notion of matte finishes on anything that moves, unless it's naturel to survival. Painting mc's with matte finishes is the antithesis, NO?
    At 479 I had an early 600 mi. service (*as in; WTF is that howl from the trans.? 'they all do that'- - and they do). But there are quiet straight cut gears, seen, not heard. The bike had an already swollen fuel filter- - and the plug caps replaced w/NGK's. The above + tubeless tires answer my need towards limiting surprises and getting anywhere, as promised.
    The pillion pegs would have been long gone, but were lock-tited (along w/ a few other similar surprises). I'll drill both of them out this week. I don't want to put the required heat so close to painted parts.
    I'm familiar with the brand, Chris. The history, the charm, the passion, the great friendships. Spent the past weekend hurtling thru mountains w/old and new close friends; almost all 24 on Guzzi's from 40+ yrs. old to my 2017. Good fortune, R3~