Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HID Headlight conversion

apriliaforum expert commandodave's Avatar

HID Headlight conversion

I just received a new Rider Warehouse/Aerostitch catalog. Toward the end it offers HID conversion kits (pick your lightbulb) for under $200 USD. I know some of you have already converted your Futuras. What kit did you use? Did any of you use this?

I have contacted AF1 last night to see if they offer something similar. Hopefully there will be a response in my personal email when I get home tonight. If they don't I think I will go with one of these.

Dave

I am amazed that some of you are upgrading the headlights. This bike has the best sun spot I have ever had on a bike.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

Quote Originally Posted by meanstrk
    I am amazed that some of you are upgrading the headlights. This bike has the best sun spot I have ever had on a bike.
    Nothing like a Xenon though.
    Brian

[ZZR1400 190bhp, Baglux tank cover, 14.4v charging,ABS,TomTom GPS, double bubble, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips, permanant grin, fluffy dice ]

apriliaforum expert bullit in head's Avatar
    I am amazed that some of you are upgrading the headlights.
    there's always room for improvment....

bullit

Quote Originally Posted by meanstrk
    I have already made the headlight mod where the low beam stays on when I activate the brights. Yes, I have plenty of light to see by at night. This will be done to increase my visibility to clueless cagers. Maybe they will think my Futura is an oncoming Mercedes with one headlamp burned out and not turn left in front of me. If it happened to Big Ben, it could happen to you!

Dave

Try a different bulb first...

I believe bikepainter suggested a phillips vision bulb replacement to the stockers that improves light quality markedly. Why don't you try them first to see if the full-on conversion is even needed...
    "The fact is that sport-touring is about delicious movement, freedom to go slowly and relax or to turn the throttle and run, with just enough of your favorite stuff in the saddlebags."--CW
    nero ash color | colder fuel disconnect | derestricted air intake | blinder laser jammer | throttlemeister | invisiguard paint protection | carbon fiber hugger | ohlins rear shock | ohlins fork re-valve | ohlins steering damper | R&G crash protectors | iridium spark plugs | apex SS lines | corbin backrest for 2-up riding | dark wheels customized | borella rectifier | pivot covers | k&n air filter | HIDx1 | pazzo shorty race levers | gixxer mirrors | Kisan Relay Flashers + Running Lights

Been there, done that.

I have a HID light on my bike AND the AF1 headlight (blue white) bulb upgrade AND the headlight switch mod.

You can see my bike during the DAY, NIGHT, FOG, RAIN.........

the HID makes a hugh difference in CLEAR CLEAN visible light at all times. NO other blub even comes close..... Sorry ED, the Evo light bulbs on high are bright, (but look yellow in color) but are no where close to the REAL clean white of the HID.

I believe the safety factor is big with HID, other riders say they can see me coming for miles, cage drivers have said they could see me much easier, without haring thier eyes burned out.

I used a Xenonpros.com HID H-7 Kit $189.99 on the Futura. A plug and play set up.
    I used a advantagewholesaler.com HID HID H-4 kit $229.99, on My Porsche.

Seams like a lot of $$$$, but there is only one of me, and I think I am worth a few bucks.

Rob H

Which color temp did you choose? The 4300 H7 kit from Xenonpros.com is now $250. The 6000 is more. Is it correct in assuming this converts only the low beam? Brighter, cooler temps and less current draw, asside from the price, is there a downside to this? thanks rick

Well, i found a downside on this sight http://www.sbkshop.com/pc-277-156-h7...hting-kit.aspx
    Note where it says "**HID upgrade kits are NOT legal for use on US roads, they are for track and show use only." Would not surprise me if this were true. rick

No HID retrofit kits are street legal. Only factory equipped HID is legal. Because so many vehicles do have them as stock equipment now, retrofit kits are less likely to stand out, but if'n you get pulled, be prepared for confiscation and/or having to revert back to stock for re-inspection. HID kits cannot compensate for the poor reflectors and lenses of some vehicles. Vehicles which have a tightly controlled stock beam pattern (as does the futurs) will do better with HID retrofits. Vehicles which have a poorly controlled stock beam pattern will get you in trouble rather quickly.

Cops are not car or bike experts

They boys in blue would have no idea what the RST came with stock for lights. And chances are, you will never be asked about it. POLL this forum, anyone here ever been hassled for having HID light??? MY vote is NO!!!!!

There is no way to even see the HID install without the top instrument cluster and side pices off.

Yes the HID only replaces the low beam, and only uses 33w to run, not the 55/60w the stock one does, and creates less heat output, so the light plastics should therefore last longer. The clean blue white light (around 5000K) produced by HID, adds defination to objects, and is easier to see distant objects by for most people.

the price does seam to vary month to month, but there are lots of other supliers besides the two I posted.

Rob H
    Last edited by Turbo Rob; 06-29-2006 at 03:51 PM.

Anybody know what I'd need for my Tuono to do this conversion?

Thanks
    "Tuono doesn't want to gently take your hand and guide you on a trip, it wants to rip it off and run away with it! I always get the feeling that to ride a Tuono you have to be a real man, prepared to fight it every step of the way, where as on the Triumph you can have an off day and not be left feeling inadequate"
    "Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic"

JOIN ME ONAND FOR SOCAL APRILIA GROUP RIDES & UPDATES FOLLOW ME ON

apriliaforum expert
    Check this site out. It should answer most of your questions, and even tell you what questions to ask your local suppliers.

Hid Conversion Photos

Okay, I went and did it. The bottom line is that I am thoroughly pleased with my $100 USD HID conversion kit I bought off eBay. The kit did not include a relay or an inline fuse holder, so I went and bought them from a local auto supply house. I had to bugger the H4 to H7 conversion piece. I knew the Futura took a H7 bulb, so that is what I told the guy I needed. I forgot that the Futura has the H4/H7 converter. If you order a kit, be sure to order one for a H4 bulb! The pictures do not do the installation justice. The first pic is of the stock lo beam. The second pic has the high beams on. I have modded the headlight switch so that the highs stay on with the lo. The hi beams are Sylvania Silverstars. They are noticeably bluer than the stock headligh bulbs. The next picture shows the HID low beam. Wow! What a difference. The next in series shows the HID LO with the highs. The HID bulb is now noticeably bluer than the already blue tinged highs. The last photo shows the location of the igniter module. I just attached it to a convenient ledge on the fairing with double sided foam backed tape.
    For those who may be interested, the eBay link was:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-X...QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like the price has gone up by $5 USD since I bought mine.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Quote Originally Posted by commandodave
    The kit did not include a relay or an inline fuse holder, so I went and bought them from a local auto supply house.
    I'm considering HID too, since the prices here have tumbled down too. I take it that the HID-set plugs in the original H4 connector for the low beam so that it gets its power from the original low beam lead, which gets its power via a relay (at least that's what I thought, don't have the wiring diagram at hand here). So why did you use an additional relay?
    Rob - '01 Rosso Flame

"Riders Create More Problems Than Motorcycles Are Designed To Handle" - Keith Code

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast