Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Petrol in oil

apriliaforum prov-nov CenturionSPQR's Avatar
    Bitaemo...
    "We came to wreck everything and ruin your life...God sent us" - Sonny Jim, Romper Stomper

www.scooteringmanitoba.com

Quote Originally Posted by scooterdude
    I went to a Aprilia dealer site in Europe and found the thermostat number I needed. I called my Aprilia dealer here in town and gave them the number for the 85 degree internal thermostat and after about 2 weeks I got it.
    I replaced it a week ago and have rided about 400 miles and still no fuel in the oil, I believe my problem is fixed.
    The job took about 2 hours to do, did not have to remove any side panels, I had to take the panels and air filter under the seat off, I removed the waterpump housing , then removed the thermostat from the housing. The longest part of it was bleeding the cooling system, but overall it went well, considering I had no information on the exact procedure for this task.
    My next issue to deal with is a get a missing at slow speeds, high speeds it runs great. I am thinking of maybe trying to clean the injectors. Any thought?

What kind of Missing is it ?

Try to clean out any Carbon/Varnish built up in the system using Rxp.
    http://www.rxp.com/master.htm

Check the connection to the spark plug, make sure the boot is snug.

Replace the spark plug with this High Performance OEM matched NGK Iridium Plug.

Part # CR7EIX
    http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_ap...D=28925&mfid=1

Try all of the above, if these dont work, than you need some serious help, most likely, one of the above will fix your problem.

Keep us posted.

apriliaforum Junkie
    I find that these Piaggio 500 engines are extremely sensitive to both warm up time and eventual running temperature. One reason is the lack of a closed loop ECU therefore the engine always runs on a pre-determined ignition timing and fuel mixture per RPM, so if the warm up time and/or eventual temperature is outside of design tolerances, the system over fuels badly.
    At the first sign of slow warm up, or not reaching temp fully, especially in colder weather, get a new 'stat fitted PDQ.
    The later 'Sprint' Evolution engines have a modified thermostat housing seperate from the water pump cover. The 'stat is nearer the cylinder head so better detects the true internal water jacket temperature and so has a faster reaction time, remaining closed longer but opening rapidly only when true max temp is achieved.
    It is probably possible to fit the Evo stat assy in it's new position on the old engine (just above the spark plug on the LH side of the engine, leaving the original housing empty.

I need the higher thermostat
    Anyone have part numbers ?
    How can you tell if its internal or external ?

Thanks

Part number for INTERNAL 85degree thermostat

I am sorry it took so long to get back with you to give you the art number. I wanted to make sure I did not give you a wrong number.
    I got the part number from an online parts manual I down loaded from a site in Europe ( I am sorry I cannot find the link where I got it.
    The partnumber for the INTRENAL thermostat is 8560173, this is the number I gave to my local Aprilia dealer and he comfirmed with Piaggio that is as the 85 c one. When I got it and installed it I took my temp up tp where it should be and no more oil in the gas.
    I hope this helps all needing it.
    If there is a big enough demand for the parts manual I will try to see what I can do to find where I got it.

How to tell if you have an INTERNAL or EXTERNAL thermostat

It took me a little time to be sure I had the proper thermostat.
    If you look at the engine on the passenger side of the bike you will see the water pump housing, if the the neck of the water pump housing is a seprate piece than the housing itself ( if so they will be both black plastic and held together with 3 screws ) then you have an INTERNAL thermostat. You take the 3 screws out and the thermostat is in the neck. If you have a 1 piece waterpumphousing then you have an EXTERNAL theromstat.
    To reconfirm your findings. Take off the access covers under the seat and foloow the water pump hoses to the radiator, an EXTERNAL thermostat will be inline on one of the hoses.
    If you have an INTERNAL, I recommend taking the waterpump housing off of the engine and then taking it apart and replacing the thermostat, I found it the easiest way to do it without removing the panels. When reassembling it make sure you have the waterpump housing gasket ( o-ring ) in the groove it is suppose to be and you can hold it in place with a light film of silicone or o-ring lube.
    After you get it back together *****MAKE SURE YOU BLEED THE COOLANT SYSTEM****. If you don't you stand a very high chance of having air in the system and ruining your engine. On the EXTERNAL thermostat set up, the bleeder valve is located almost directly under the air filter, toward the front passenger top side of the engine. It will be in the radiator hose tube and will have a rubber dust cover on it.
    When bleeding the system **** MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RADIATOR CAP OFF**** First fill your coolant systme overflow tank, MAKE SURE THE RADIATOR CAP IS OFF!!! Start the motor, let it run for a short time ( 2-3 minutes) Turn off the motor, open the bleeder valve and air should escape, keep repeating this until you get the motor up to temperature and you are sure you have no air left in the system, make sure you keep checking the coolant level in the overflow tank while doing this.

It took me a little time to be sure I had the proper thermostat.
    If you look at the engine on the passenger side of the bike you will see the water pump housing, if the the neck of the water pump housing is a seprate piece than the housing itself ( if so they will be both black plastic and held together with 3 screws ) then you have an INTERNAL thermostat. You take the 3 screws out and the thermostat is in the neck. If you have a 1 piece waterpumphousing then you have an EXTERNAL theromstat.
    To reconfirm your findings. Take off the access covers under the seat and foloow the water pump hoses to the radiator, an EXTERNAL thermostat will be inline on one of the hoses.
    If you have an INTERNAL, I recommend taking the waterpump housing off of the engine and then taking it apart and replacing the thermostat, I found it the easiest way to do it without removing the panels. When reassembling it make sure you have the waterpump housing gasket ( o-ring ) in the groove it is suppose to be and you can hold it in place with a light film of silicone or o-ring lube.
    After you get it back together *****MAKE SURE YOU BLEED THE COOLANT SYSTEM****. If you don't you stand a very high chance of having air in the system and ruining your engine. On the EXTERNAL thermostat set up, the bleeder valve is located almost directly under the air filter, toward the front passenger top side of the engine. It will be in the radiator hose tube and will have a rubber dust cover on it.
    When bleeding the system **** MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RADIATOR CAP OFF**** First fill your coolant systme overflow tank, MAKE SURE THE RADIATOR CAP IS OFF!!! Start the motor, let it run for a short time ( 2-3 minutes) Turn off the motor, open the bleeder valve and air should escape, keep repeating this until you get the motor up to temperature and you are sure you have no air left in the system, make sure you keep checking the coolant level in the overflow tank while doing this.
    Thanks for the reply and part # scooterdude.

I found the housing and the neck, the housing has 5-6 skrews holding it in place, and the neck with 2 hoses and the thermostat inside has 3.

I can get to the neck without removing any panels, as I have U and S ratchet sets and drivers.

A few questions for you...

-How can I drain the coolant out of the system before I swap out the thermostat ?

How much was it $$$ (roughly) for the new thermostat ?

Thanks, Scooterdude
    Last edited by Intrazel; 05-21-2006 at 02:50 AM.

draining coolant

I did not worry about draining the coolant, I just put a drain pan below the water pump housing when I took it apart, not a big deal.
    the thermostat was about 35 dollars

I did not worry about draining the coolant, I just put a drain pan below the water pump housing when I took it apart, not a big deal.
    the thermostat was about 35 dollars
    I called AF1, its in stock at the US Warehouse, and it should be shipping out tomorrow, and it was $34.99 + Shipping..

One final question,
    When you say leave the radiator cap off when bleeding the system, are you referring to the tank overflow cap or the actual radiator cap ?

If you mean the actual cap on the radiator, where is it ?

Thanks again scooterdude...
    Last edited by Intrazel; 05-22-2006 at 04:33 PM.

One final question,
    When you say leave the radiator cap off when bleeding the system, are you referring to the tank overflow cap or the actual radiator cap ?

If you mean the actual cap on the radiator, where is it ?

Thanks again scooterdude...[/QUOTE]

You need to leave the cap off of the radiator itself while bleeding the systemso you do not build up too much heat and pressure while bleeding it

How do you access the radiator cap on the actual radiator?

All I know of, is the tank with the pressurized cap under the front headlight

I know it's been a hell of a long time since anyone posted on this subject but I thought I would just request some additional info.

I have a 2003 Atlantic with just over 1k miles on the clock. I have the dreaded petrol (gas) in the oil problem and have replaced the thermostat to a hotter running one. However I still have that awful small of petrol.

Now the ECU fitted to the bike can it be re-mapped or not as I've heard two different answers to this?

One, no it's not reprogrammable and the other is, yes and there are updated fuel programmes which assist with petrol in the oil problem.

Does anyone know what the correct answer is?

I would appreciate any reply which can sort thisi out for me.

Thanks

Wozza

apriliaforum expert
    Hmmmmm.................I've just put a few hundred miles on my used `04 Beo and noticed 2 weeks ago that the oil level was too high. But I bought the Beo from a non-Aprilia dealer and also found the rear tire had too much air in it. Anyway, yesterday I drained out 1/2 a quart of oil. The oil is green in color, but it doesn't smell like gasoline. It smells and looks like 2 stroke oil. Since then I've ridden the Beo some and it's oil light goes on/off as it should. But now you guys have given me something else to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by norCal Randy View Post
    Hmmmmm.................I've just put a few hundred miles on my used `04 Beo and noticed 2 weeks ago that the oil level was too high. But I bought the Beo from a non-Aprilia dealer and also found the rear tire had too much air in it. Anyway, yesterday I drained out 1/2 a quart of oil. The oil is green in color, but it doesn't smell like gasoline. It smells and looks like 2 stroke oil. Since then I've ridden the Beo some and it's oil light goes on/off as it should. But now you guys have given me something else to consider.
    Good Lord! Some idiot has put 2 stroke oil in your bike. Get it outta there! I just cannot believe the stupidity of some people. It amazes me on a daily basis!

If I were you, I would immediately change it and run it for 40 or 50 miles and change it again. Change the oil AND the filter BOTH times.

Jeez, not only did they not know what to put in it, they didn't even know the right amount to use.
    Shfls... 2004 S-500, red/black #0131

If you can't change the people around you, change the people around you.

Time is finite...OK, time is infinite, but yours isn't!

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Shfls View Post
    Good Lord! Some idiot has put 2 stroke oil in your bike. Get it outta there! I just cannot believe the stupidity of some people. It amazes me on a daily basis!

If I were you, I would immediately change it and run it for 40 or 50 miles and change it again. Change the oil AND the filter BOTH times.

Jeez, not only did they not know what to put in it, they didn't even know the right amount to use.
    Be careful, some manufacturers, especially ones of premium oils will dye their oil with different colors like Royal Purple for example. I would change the oil anyways if I ever buy an used bike but the color is not an indication of the type of oil.

Castrol European Car formula (made in Germany) Has different colors depending on the batch, you can find a green one or the regular hazel color one.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast