Thread: help! running on one cylinder

apriliaforum Member

help! running on one cylinder

was taking the bike for a quick spin and suddenly bike loses all power, pulled over at the nearest servo to have a look and see that exhaust only coming out of one pipe, but petrol vapour(cold) out the other...

anyway pulled the tank off to find the airbox only attached with one bolt and half off the right carb, put it back and held it in place with a zip tie... ran fine for another 5minutes then same problem, got it home only to find the problem has reappeared but now on the left side but with the airbox still in place

anyway, swapped the plugs for fresh ones, made sure the airbox was all on properly but it's still only running on the right cylinder checked it a million times and still can't figure it out. is there an easier way of getting the airbox on properly too? any ideas?? could it be dodgy petrol? only thing I haven't tried.

Cheers.

Hi, check your plug cap for corrosion. The top cyclinder plug cap on my old mk1 for sum reason used to get corrodid very easily. My mates mk2 had the same prob a couple of weeks ago 2.
    I suffer from a mental illness....please give me lots of cats!!

1999 RS 250 - Sold
    2002 RSV Mille - Sold
    2009 RSV1000R - Sold
    2012 RSV4 Factory - Current
    2000 RSV1000R - Track Bike

apriliaforum expert Pro Backmarker's Avatar
    It's air, fuel or ignition, and I doubt it's air.
    Pull the plugs, see if it's sparking on the left cylinder. At least that'll narrow it down to spark or juice.
    Real men race road circuits- Team mosquito killers
    Go zouzou!! Zouzou

apriliaforum prov-nov Luke rs250's Avatar
    i have had the exact same problem with my rs250 twice! the 1st time it was the spark plug boots and the second time it was dirt in the fuel, try draining the tank n then fill up again if that doesnt work check the boots.
    Hope this helps

apriliaforum Member
    sorry to bump,

fixed it with a new plug..

then it happened again now it's the right cylinder, even with a new plug it won't spark... tried scraping the inside of the plug cap but that doesn't have any effect

any other things to check?

Thanks

apriliaforum Junkie
    New plug cap?

If that doesn't work, try swapping coils over from one cylinder to the other, see if it is a coil, and if you can find which coil. If it is that...
    Return to the Dark Side!

Honda NSR250 MC21