Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Husqvarna SM610

The bike was the 510 and I had it 7 days. I rode it to work for 5 days, which extended my travel time to work from 20 minutes to 30-40 minutes because I kept taking different routes to get the full effect of the bike. I have never enjoyed traveling to and from work as much as I did last week. It was pure enjoyment.

The maintenance is very similar to a CRF 450 or YZF 450 dirt bikes. This is more frequent than a "street" bike but this isn't a street bike, it's a race bike with lights. My friend already rides a YZF 450 so it's no different than what he is used to. Plus, I have to say that I would have absolutely no issues with the increased maintenance given how entertaining this bike is to ride.

The only issue that has occured was that the factory installed the front brake line and speedo cable incorrectly. They routed it inside the fork tube instead of outside. This would not have become an issue if the 2 bolts holding the alignment clamp on the plastic guard covering the lower fork tube had not of fallen out. This allowed the line and cable to rub the tire. It rubbed through the speedo cable first and then started rubbing the outer cover on the brake line. My friend caught it because the speedo stopped working. He took it into the local shop, Austin Sports Cycles, for repair. They took a photo of the issue and rerouted the cable/line so that it would not cause any further damage. They ordered the parts that day and then called him back to let him know that the factory approved the repair under warranty. A couple of days after that they called to let him know that the parts were in. That was last week while I was riding it, so I called them to see if I could bring it in and they asked when I would be there. I let them know when I could come in and when I showed up they fixed it on the spot.

I asked them what would have happened if the factory wasn't going to cover it. They said that they would have covered it and then had their discussions with Cagiva USA to get reimbursed. They saw that it was clearly not the customers issue and the customer should not have to pay anything out of pocket to get it fixed. From the time they saw the bike, ordered parts and did the final repair was less than 10 days. I think they looked at it on a Tuesday or Wednesday and I took the bike in on the following Thursday.

They also noticed that a breather hose coming off of the valve cover had gotten too close to the header and burned a small hole in it. They replaced the line at the same time that they were replacing the speedo cable and brake line.

I have to say that I'm very impressed with how the dealer handled the situation and that Cagiva USA had the parts in stock, or air shipped the parts in from Europe.

Two thumbs up for Austin Sports Cycles & Cagiva USA!
    Last edited by MarcV; 06-19-2006 at 04:00 PM.
    Pro MOTO - Austin, TX
    Cycle Cynch

Nice! Thanks for the serious details Marc!
    To the "State of California" -You can have my "Akrapovic" when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!

2010 RSV4 Factory - '09 SXV550
    '02 R1, '04 RSVR, '02 RSV

Yo mark

Hope your planning on riding w/ us soon. My KTM should be streetable in the next week. Clay (my brother) is picking us a Husky just like that one on Monday. So, Jaime, Jon, Clay, and I are planning on takin a spin in the near future. Should be a hoot

Quote Originally Posted by Beau1K
    That thing is kinda ugly...compared to the Aprilia...I suppose if you don't want to wait it's better than the alternative orange KTM....

KTM ORANGE IS BEAUTIFUL MAN!!!.....

sob... snif, snif

Quote Originally Posted by Bradog
    Hope your planning on riding w/ us soon. My KTM should be streetable in the next week. Clay (my brother) is picking us a Husky just like that one on Monday. So, Jaime, Jon, Clay, and I are planning on takin a spin in the near future. Should be a hoot
    Let me know and I'll see if I can borrow the bike again...

send me a pm or shoot me an e-mail (you can get it off my site).

Pro MOTO - Austin, TX
    Cycle Cynch

apriliaforum expert
    So we have a dedicated spot for Swedish flat pack motorcycles, but still no Laverda spot?!?

Aprilia V4R APRC
    BMWR1200RT
    HONDA SP2 VTR RC51 TRACK BIKE
    BMW R1200R
    MOTO GUZZI V7 CLASSIC
    YAMAHA R1 2007 STREETFIGHTER
    APRILIA RSVR
    APRILIA TUONO 2003
    KAWASAKI ZXR750 TRACK BIKE
    KAWASAKI ZX600R
    APRILIA RS250
    YAMAHA 600 TENERE DAKAR
    DUCATI DARMAH 900SD
    SUZUKI GT185
    KAWASAKI GPZ600R
    YAMAHA TY175
    YAMAHA RD350YPVS
    KAWASAKI GPZ305 AWFUL BIKE
    KAWASAKI Z550
    SUZUKI DR125

Watch this: http://www.dailymotion.com/Omen4/vid...t-2006_extreme

Quote Originally Posted by kaplano1
    Sorry to hijack this thread but what do you guys think of the Suzuki DR-Z400SM or KTM 625 SMC? Obviously neither are in the same league as the SXV 450/550 but as a supermoto with fairly low maintenance, are they any fun when compared to sportsbikes around town?

The DRZ is down on power but you can do mods to bring the horses up it is very very reliable and alot of fun, read this,
    DRZ Review

if that doesnt work here it is,
    If you are thinking about getting a DRZ SM, here is my evaluation after 1 year of riding.

Rider Experience - 25 years. raced pro motocross and drag raced

Last Bike owned 2002 ZX12R Street and KX250 dirt

Over the past year I have ridden the 05 SM 5000 miles. I am happy to report the only problem was the stock rear fender extension broke. Not a problem since I replaced the whole mess with a DRC.

I added a DJ kit, 3x3, gold HD chain, acerbis dualsport hand gaurds and some red anodized bling parts for looks. Also a Big Gun race full system, which I highly recommend if you like the sound of 4stroke motocrossers.

Here is the important part. I absolutly drive the guts out of this bike. I have held it at 90mph for hours, ridden with the front wheel in the air for miles at a time, jumped every possible thing I could find and if a new VW beetle ever pulls in front of me I am going to drive over it.

This bike does not have one scratch but DO NOT EVER BUY IT. The rear 150 contiforce tire is peeled right to the edge. I cant get the front close to the edge. The tires have never slipped once. Tonight we were cruising back roads with long hills and I was bouncing the front end up on a wheelie in 5th and setting it down at 150kph. I could smell the rubber from the front tire. I have a mark on the tire to see if it is slipping on the rim and it has never moved.

I change the oil in the bike every week and spend about an hour checking bolts, wheel bearings, tires,spokes, brakes, steering head and chain. I also completely clean the bike once per week including the chain and sprockets.

The clutch is perfect and the valves have never moved. I also have not tightened the chain this year.

This bike is hands down the most fun, toughest bike I have ever owned.

I was thinking about streeting a KTM SMR this year and I am glad I didnt. When it cools off here latter this fall i am shipping the motor to Eddie for as many ponies as he can make. I was going to do it a month ago, but I am having way too much fun.

Too bad Dirt Rider didnt figure out what a gem the DRZ really is. Oh well, I remember a hot chick back in the old days and we didnt want the whole neighborhood poking her either. The DRZ ROCKS

I picked up my SM610 2 weeks ago. I got a Red/White one and I think it looks awesome. After ~300 miles on it, I am very happy with the bike. I wanted the 610 as it is a little more street than the 510 and I use this for pure weekend fun, ride to work some and errand running.

Having a Tuono, this is like a baby Tuono. Lite, flickable and the brakes are awesome. 4 pot Brembo up front and will stop on a dime. Took a while to get the FCR carb jetted but I am there now and I can't wait to take this thing up to the mountain.

It cruises at 90 mph on the freeway with minimal vibration, but the stock seat, well is a dirt bike seat and makes your ass burn after about an hour. Sending mine off to Renzacco for a make over.

Details are top notch and the bike is a lot of fun. If you want a SM, the 610 is a good bike. I've had a KTM 640 Dual Sport and they are sweet rides too, but I like the Husky a little better.
    2014 BMW F800GSA & 2015 Kawi Z1000
    06 Husky SM610 Hooligan Jr.
    07 KTM 525 EXC
    13 Husaberg TE 300
    11 Beta 300 Race Rep 2T Trials
    1971 BSA 250 Trials

Now there are 2 "Cylinders" on my ride, parallel BABY!!

SM610 rocks

Just bought one of these, I ride it to work, I've ridden it off road in mud, down embankments, through construction sites, all with road tyres. I've also taken it on 300km trips which are not the most comfortable on the ass but great on the back and through twisty roads which I don't think I could ride any faster on my RSVR. Every speed bump is a ramp or an insignificant object to be sneered at and ignored.

This thing is such a versatile bike, is loads and loads of fun and the only thing I think you wouldn't want to do on it is carry a pillion (unless very short distance) or do any real touring.

I wake up at 6.30am now, not dreading going to work, but looking forward to the ride to work and the ride back home!

I've had a KTM LCR in the past, this is better. I can't see how the SXV will have the same torque although because it's lighter it probably feels as fast. But also, it's a twin, so not the same sound and a big thumper and I'd imagine needs to be revved hard to be useful.
    '06 RSVR
    Leo Vince High Mounts
    R&G protectors

So of the 510 husky & the 550 ape which one would you af1 guys pick ? I really am torn between the two . I am only going to use it on the road .Also do you know if the 07 huskys are changed at all ??

Thanks, Cliff

Max Lean Angle / Administrator Ed / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    probably neither.....they are both meant to be racebikes...rock hard seats, and short fuel range (maybe 75 miles on a SXV)

I'd get a Duke II, some other KTM, or the Husky 610 for street riding.....if I was racing it, I'd definitely get the Aprilia 550.

thanks for your input .I only have a 11 mile ride to work & I live 14 miles from deals gap so the range is not a problem. I think with your comment of definately getting the 550 to race makes me want one even more. I will be searching the net asap.

The 610 has a slight edge over the 625KTM in weight and a way edge in the vibration department. My LC4 would make my hands numb in 30 minutes. It just is a very vibey lump. My 610 has been working well on the road. Minimal vibes. No issues except for the rock hard seat which is at renzaco now getting re-done. Other than that, the Husky 610 is exactly what I hoped it would be. The 510 is more of a HotRod definitely.

The Aprilia's, run liked raped apes, but pricey!
    2014 BMW F800GSA & 2015 Kawi Z1000
    06 Husky SM610 Hooligan Jr.
    07 KTM 525 EXC
    13 Husaberg TE 300
    11 Beta 300 Race Rep 2T Trials
    1971 BSA 250 Trials

Now there are 2 "Cylinders" on my ride, parallel BABY!!

apriliaforum Member
    I had the same question. Aprilia? Husqvarna? KTM? Suzuki? I knew I wanted a SM for sure. Something simple, light, and quick for blasting around the country roads where I live. I chose the Husky 610 because of it's streetability and reliability. The reliability factor was high on my list, and the determining factor. The Husky 510 and the Aprilia need to be overhauled at very short intervals. The 610 has adjustable valves (screw and lock vs shims and bucket), and a counterbalancer which makes it one very smooth single. It is heavier than the 510, but it also has a larger fuel tank, locking gas cap...basically more ready for the street. If I was going to race, the 510 would be my choice.
    2007 Scarabeo 500
    2007 R1200RT
    2007 R1200R
    2009 R1200GSA
    1995 R100M Mystic

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Any of you guys see the bags for the 610 yet? I see they advertise them available but have not even scene a pic of them?

2006 Husky Sm 610
    2004 Honda VFR
    2005 Aprilia Tuono Factory (Mods to much to list)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast