Thread: uk scooter riders

uk scooter riders

how many riders of scooters here are from the uk ?

my question is whats the highest cc scooter you can ride only on a cbt license?
    AKA Hixxy

uk cbt license is all to do with bhp so what kinda bhp does a 200cc scooter have
    AKA Hixxy

It depends on what 200cc scooter your talking about every models different on a UK CBT license you can only ride a bike up to 11kw which is 14.6 bhp.

I may be wrong but I dont think you can get a 200cc scooter with less then 14.6bhp, i think the most you can have is a 125cc

CBT isn't a license. It's a certificate of training that has to be accompanied by a provisional license. The provisional license, assuming that you're over 17 years of age, restricts you to a maximum of 125cc and 14.6 bhp. Both conditions have to be satisfied.

When you've passed the full test ( CBT plus theory test plus road test) you can ride a scoot of any capacity, but for two years it has to be below 33 bhp. This covers 400cc scoots like the Suzuki Burgmann, but a lot of 400cc bikes are over the 33 bhp limit

The one exception to this is if you're over 21. You can then ride a bigger bike - over 46 bhp - as long as you're accompanied at all times by an instructor.

Rob

can you take your A1 license on a scooter (ie without gears)?
    AKA Hixxy

Quote Originally Posted by the lost 1
    can you take your A1 license on a scooter (ie without gears)?
    Note that Category A and category A1 are different.

The test has to be taken on a 125 for a category A license to allow you to ride a 33 bhp bike, and I think it must have gears unless you want the license restricted to automatics.

For the A1 license, you must use a bike of between 75 and 125 cc and the A1 license only allows you to ride a 125 of up to 14.6 bhp. The same caveat applies re gears.

It's easiest to take the test on a riding school's geared 125, then you have a full Cat A license for any bike up to 33 bhp, and unlimited after 2 years. The A1 license seems a bit pointless.

Rob
    Last edited by williamr; 06-02-2006 at 02:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by williamr
    It's easiest to take the test on a riding school's geared 125, then you have a full Cat A license for any bike up to 33 bhp, and unlimited after 2 years. The A1 license seems a bit pointless.

Rob
    i was wondering because of the members on here that use scooters on a daily basis & thought itd be pointless for them to take the test on a geared bike (which id say is harder) when they arent going to use 1.
    AKA Hixxy

I can only speak for myself, but I find a geared bike much easier to control. It certainly has more controllability if you are capable of using it. Slow speed control can be a bit problematical with a centrifugal (automatic) clutch on some bikes. Generally a skilled rider will find it easier to perform manouevers such as a U turn with a manual clutch, but it does take a little more timr to acquire the skill.

Do I get the impression that you don't actually ride?

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by williamr
    Do I get the impression that you don't actually ride?

Rob
    rode my rs125 for 3yrs till it was stolen november last year
    AKA Hixxy

If you havent done your license you have to redo your CBT every 2 years which im guessing you've already done because of riding for 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Trix-8
    If you havent done your license you have to redo your CBT every 2 years which im guessing you've already done because of riding for 3 years.
    unless i passed my DAC last year?
    AKA Hixxy

Williamr is right, you can take a test on your scoot, but you will be restricted in power for 2 years and to automatics.

THat's the route I took. I did my CBT, then test on my own 125 Leonardo. After a while I upgraded to a 250 but a few years on, I wanted a 'proper' bike and had to redo everything, including my CBT and full manual DAS course.

If I were you, I'd do the training and test on a manual. You WILL want to upgrade one day and it's a pain to have to do it all again.

Good luck!

unless i passed my DAC last year?
    fair enough why all these questions then? if you've got a full license

Quote Originally Posted by Trix-8
    fair enough why all these questions then? if you've got a full license
    a guy at work passed his driving test using a automatic car so i was wondering what he would be able to ride just using a CBT license

ive posted other sort of questions relating to this in scooter forums on here
    AKA Hixxy

a guy at work passed his driving test using a automatic car so i was wondering what he would be able to ride just using a CBT license

ive posted other sort of questions relating to this in scooter forums on here
    The lost 1 i emailed the dsa this should be all you need to know i think,this is what they replied;

If you gained a full car licence (manual or automatic) before the 1 February 2001 and made a normal health declaration when obtaining your last full licence you should have been awarded full moped entitlement category ‘p’ (please check your licence).

A moped is a machine up to 50cc with a top manufacturer’s design speed not exceeding 50kph (approx 31mph).

If you gained a full car licence on or after 1 February 2001 you will need to complete a CBT course to ride any moped or motorcycle.

After completing a CBT course you will be allowed to ride machines up to 125cc with a maximum power output not exceeding 11kW (equivalent 14.6bhp) with ‘L’ plates. Learners cannot carry a pillion passenger.

Provisional motorcycle entitlement category ‘A’ is not affected by having a full automatic car licence category ‘B’.