Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What gas milage do you get with your Futura?

apriliaforum newb

What gas milage do you get with your Futura?

I'm riding a little Harley Sportster right now and thinking of moving up to a bigger bike, a Futura, Ducati ST, mabey even an FJR. My little bike gets 50+ mpg which is great but it's just too small(I'm 6'2) and is really winding out around 70mph. I've read Futuras get TERRIBLE milage so I was wondering if this has improved over the years. One more thing, if I bought one this would be my second bike. I've been riding for 6 months( probably wont be another 6 before I buy a new bike anyway) so would a big sport tourer be too much for a 17 year old to handle? I'm looking at a comfortable bike to ride to school/work every day on, not some road rocket. Thanks

apriliaforum Junkie
    I like fishing.

Whadayathink

The RST is beautiful, exotic, fast, dependable and drinks fuel like it's water in the desert. This bike will hit 150 mph. You can't do that with a moped.

This bike is awesome and you would love to ride it. However if you are wanting fuel economy this is not the bike for you.

Bob

"Although all men are born free, slavery has been the general lot of the human race. Ignorant - they have been cheated; asleep - they have been surprised; divided - the yoke has been forced upon them. But what is the lesson? ...the people ought to be enlightened, to be awakened, to be united, that after establishing a govenment they should watch over it.... It is universally admitted that a well-instructed people alone can be permanently free."
    --James Madison

First off you need to do a search our we will let Baddy beat the !s@!t out of you.
    So to save us all alot of time here it is.....
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ra+gas+mileage

2001 Futura: 41mpg commuting, 48mpg hiway
    2003 HD Wide Glide: 45mpg commuting, 52 hiway

For me similar range, both are fun in there own way.

17 to young: depends on if you take yourself seriously or not. Do you need to have it to impress people? Will you take rider classes?
    Personally I would go for an older ST1100 if found dirt cheap. If you like that, then trade up to the Futura
    Scott
    '04 Yamaha FJR (0013)
    IBA 19,400
    DarkSider 039

Man , I havent really done a scientific test but i think I am getting in the low 30's for mileage.. this is twisty riding though so far no big slab trips and I twist it a bit for sure. but I think I will have to know where the next gas station is if i go on a trip with this bike.. which I will def be doin

I have seen 45mpg on mine, but I have also seen low 30's......

The Futura is NOT a bike I would want to ride to a campus and leave parked there.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

apriliaforum expert
    I think 17 is quite a bit too young to be thinking about a Futura. There is an aweful lot of horsepower and weight to get you into trouble, handling that will help you make it better or worse soley based on your ability, and not a great deal of experiance to draw on.

I would suggest looking at 2nd hand SV-650 style bike. Much, much more power, weight and handling then you currently have, but not so much as will totally overwhelm you (hopefully).

Oh, and who gives a monkeys about the mpg? It really, really doesn't matter.

apriliaforum Junkie

"take Smaller Steps"

I agree on the sv or some other of that size/weight/hp. I've been riding 50+yrs and did a lot on 350-500cc bikes. Move up slowly so you can learn to deal w more of everything not to mention costs especially insurance at your age. My Fut gets 50+mpg easily so its all in how you ride. Remember suvs squash harleys as well as mopeds. Live long-ride long. Guzzi J ohn

I'm 6'2", too, and am quite comfortable on the RST.

Mileage is generally in the high 30s, occasionally mid-to-low 30s... c'est la vie.

My humble suggestion for you would be to get a KLR650 or DR650 dual purpose bike. It would be a great commuter, with good mileage, and you can put a topcase or side cases on it for school. Just a thought.

All the best.
    paul
    '01 Flame Red RST
    '07 Tuono
    Economics Crash Course - check it out. Please.

We usually get 45-48 mpg.....2up and bags packed...

ooooo......I would love to get a hold of one of the dual sport 650s!! Fun/cheap/easy to fix/on and off road capable!

Good gosh, you guys get really good mileage!

The best I've gotten was 38.5 MPG one time. Most of the time, I'm getting between 35 and 37 MPG. But then my commute is a lot of stop-and-go traffic.

Looking forward to the weather getting better so I can go on a couple 100+ mile runs, then maybe I can join the 45+ MPG club!

Mike
    '04 "Red" Futura
    Mike
    '86 Lamborghini Countach
    '04 "Red" Futura (sold 10-5-2010)
    '83 Lamborghini Jalpa (sold 10-22-09)
    '02 Maserati GT Coupe (sold 11-19-09)
    '74 Maserati MC-10 Bicycle
    http://www.italianconcours.org
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. -- Enzo Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Jalpa_Mike
    Good gosh, you guys get really good mileage!

The best I've gotten was 38.5 MPG one time. Most of the time, I'm getting between 35 and 37 MPG. But then my commute is a lot of stop-and-go traffic.

Looking forward to the weather getting better so I can go on a couple 100+ mile runs, then maybe I can join the 45+ MPG club!

Mike
    '04 "Red" Futura
    Plan on shifting at 3500-4K & being in 6th by 65mph if you expect to see that kind of mileage. I tried it a few times but it felt like I was lugging the bike & took all the fun out of it for me.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by meanstrk
    The Futura is NOT a bike I would want to ride to a campus and leave parked there.
    Ahh yes, I have the same quandry(working on my SAT words) with my bike. I have been riding my Harley it to work but I park it right outside by the front door on the sidewalk. There I can see it at all times, and the people looking at it as well. Riding to school is a different story however since my parkingspot is a fair distance away. I'm not so worried about it being stolen as some yay-hoo pushing it over. Even with the insane cop presence, I'm worried sick. What do you do when you park yours?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I vote for a 650 dual sport bike. Just make sure you have the proper tires if you are riding it on the street!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast