Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Disassembling Stock Connectors

Finally got around to soldering all my crimps about a month ago, did I already post this? Oh well, it did help some anyway.
    2007 Tuono 1000R Factory - 22K miles
    Cored OE Racing Cans‡Map2‡Pazzo Shorty Knock-offs‡15-40‡AF1 Link Plates‡Aprilia Sliders
    ‡
    Laminar Windscreen‡Lowered Pegs‡LED City and Tag Lights
    ‡
    ProTaper Universal Low‡Clear Signal Lenses

2017 Z125 PRO in Candy Lime Green
    Many mods

2001 Futura in Silver - Sold, after 8.5 years of service.

Retired - DJ, Turntablist, MC, Creator, Video Editor and Mixologist.
    Cored OE Cans vs Leo Vince Titanium Vid
    Slammin' Tunes!

HF152, 10-26954
    HF564 .024-.028

Chrome extension to see photobucket blocked pics.

finally!

Well with many thanks to this site 4sure and especially to John Bordella I finally completed the solder job. Thing is I found you have to use the "just right" size screwdriver on the moulded plastic protrusion. Once I did it worked like John said.
    Also, perhaps this will help others but the moulded protrusion has a tiny "leg" with an even more tiny moulded cleft triangle angled upwards which helps hold the female connector in the position it is supposed to stay in. It is that part which must be gently levered that releases the connector. Once you've been successful on the first one and look inside you'll "get the picture" so to speak and then you know better how to do the remaining two. It can be tricky so don't get frustrated, just walk away from it and come back at a later time like I did. I slept on it and went back to it Sunday morning @ 6AM and VIOLA: success!
    I know that's a convoluted description but it was the best I could do. BTW 14.34v @ 2k & 14.19v @ 4K. Yeah!!

On a different note, I notice my gas tank prop is missing from the tool kit. (Bike purchased used). Could someone measure it for me and post so I can make one up?? Thanks!!!

AD
    Last edited by AndyD; 10-31-2006 at 12:41 PM.
    AndyD
    94 GTS 1000 gone to a good home! 04 ST1300 Micah was right. 42.3 mpg
    Smooth as silk. "Naturally the common people don't want war: neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But after all it is the leaders of a country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or fascist dictaatorship, or a parliament or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peace makers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.” H. Goring

Quote Originally Posted by AndyD
    On a different note, I notice my gas tank prop is missing from the tool kit.
    AD
    You did check the underside of the buddyseat, didn't you?
    It's supposed to be locked in place there.
    Rob - '01 Rosso Flame

"Riders Create More Problems Than Motorcycles Are Designed To Handle" - Keith Code

language conflict

Hey Rob. Dunno if it's a lowlands (where the Hell is that anyway??) language idiosyncrasy but what/where's the "buddyseat". Given my cro-magnon IQ is it under the tool set, cuz if so it's gone!!!
    Thanks
    ad
    AndyD
    Smooth as silk. "Naturally the common people don't want war: neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But after all it is the leaders of a country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or fascist dictaatorship, or a parliament or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peace makers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.” H. Goring

The tank prop snaps into a recess in the underside of the seat.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

prop

Thanks John. I'll flip it upside down and see if it's there.
    AndyD

language idiosyncrasy and cro-magnon

buddyseat = seat

That's how we call it over here.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyD
    lowlands (where the Hell is that anyway??)
    Not far from where the first Neanderthaler was found.
    Rob - '01 Rosso Flame

"Riders Create More Problems Than Motorcycles Are Designed To Handle" - Keith Code

Not far from where the first Neanderthaler was found.
    The first bones of the Neanderthaler were found near Dόsseldorf and the first full skeleton was found in Belgium.

The Cro-Magnon was the Neanderthaler's successor and Cro-Magnon is in France in the Dordogne region.

So Rob lives somewhere 'around' all these places.

What the hell does this have to do with connectors again?
    Last edited by Befbever; 11-01-2006 at 02:55 PM.
    This Must Be The Place

RE: "What the hell does that have to do with..."

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!

You know, we all can't be gearheads all the time (can we? Well, at least I can't!) & I wuz just making conversation. If you look closer I actually was trying to find the location of the gas tank prop. (the "on a different note." part).
    AND IT'S THERE!

Andy

PS: You get an "F" in comprehension.

a
    AndyD

Hey Rob. Dunno if it's a lowlands (where the Hell is that anyway??) language idiosyncrasy but what/where's the "buddyseat".
    Since you ask: lowlands is Holland. Funny how I've always read 'buddyseat' in Dutch mags but never seen someone call it that in English. I suppose it's like 'tie ribs'. Another invented word by a Dutch journo meaning to say 'tie wraps'.

PS: You get an "F" in comprehension.
    That's very generous of you. The 'F' stands for 'Fabulous' I presume.
    This Must Be The Place

apriliaforum Member federal5186's Avatar
    JUst to clarify, I am getting ready to do this SUn or Mon. The point of this is to eliminate the brown and clear connectors, correct. Basically you are just pulling the male and female tabs sodering together and reconnecting, right? I have read these post, and are very helpful in direction. Just want to double check..

Thanks yall

You Got IT!

Yes the connectors from the rectifier one white one brown pull apart and solder the crimps.

The yellow ones into the brown have no orientation but the white ones have to go back in the same holes.

Maurice
    no matter the brand of bike, the wind is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by federal5186 View Post
    JUst to clarify, I am getting ready to do this SUn or Mon. The point of this is to eliminate the brown and clear connectors, correct. Basically you are just pulling the male and female tabs sodering together and reconnecting, right? I have read these post, and are very helpful in direction. Just want to double check..

Thanks yall
    No, that is not the point of this thread. There is no need to eliminate either of the two connectors unless one has melted down. What you are doing is removing the wires with the male or female terminal attached from the white & brown connector, soldering the crimp where the terminal is attached to the wire & reinstalling in the connector. Once this is done properly your wires will not overheat & the connector will not melt down.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

copy thanks

What kind of soder did you use? I am definately doing this tommorow!! Rode the bike bout 60 miles today and felt some heat on my left leg...unusual (or just paranoid) parked it, didnt see any smoke but there was a glint of a plastic odor. Hopefully it will run ok to get it home tonight so I can do this mod in the morning. Any other suggestions before i let the bull go in the china shop?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast