Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Disassembling Stock Connectors

apriliaforum newb
    Where can I find this brown connector on the bike?

I do not have the bike yet, hopefully saturday.

The rectifier with the brown connector is mounted right behind the oil tank on the lower left side of the bike. Take off the cover over the oil filler opening & look down in & you should see it.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

apriliaforum Member

Soldering the Brown Connector

Just a point, but if I Solder the Wires into the Brass Spades (male and female) I am still relying on the "friction action" of the re-assembly of the Connector to provide a connection. Is this not defeating the object and would it not be better to simply do away with the Connector and solder the Wires "straight thro" !!.
    Mike Tee

The entire electrical system on your bike & your car for that matter relys on the "friction action" of the two parts of a connector fitting together. Check the fit of the male spades in the female spades while you have it apart & tighten if necessary. Cut it off if you chose but if assembled correctly it works just fine.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

Those friction spades are also the same metal and more of them are touching each other than the wire to the connector.

Just did mine on my new Tuono. Man those plugs sure come apart easy when they are new! A small eye glass screw driver is perfect for pushing the keepers up on the spades.
    2014 BMW F800GSA & 2015 Kawi Z1000
    06 Husky SM610 Hooligan Jr.
    07 KTM 525 EXC
    13 Husaberg TE 300
    11 Beta 300 Race Rep 2T Trials
    1971 BSA 250 Trials

Now there are 2 "Cylinders" on my ride, parallel BABY!!

apriliaforum Member

Connector Disassembly "CAUTION" !!

Just completed the Soldering of my Brown Connector and perhaps a word of caution to others contemplating this task. The actual Soldering is the easy part. The removal of the brass male and female connectors from within the plastic Connector Body is very hit and miss and I would say you have about a fifty / fifty chance of buggering up the unit if this is your 1st attempt at this job !!. Yes, you guessed right, as I did. I have cracked the Alterator side of the Plastic body trying to locate and release non-existant tags on the female brass connectors which are located in the Male Plastic Body. Luckily, on reassembly, the entry of the Male (Alternator Side) Plastic Plug into the Female (Rectifier Side) holds everything together and should be OK. Please don,t think I,m having a go at anyone, maybe I have mis-read the procedure which I undertook at my own risk. The reason for this post is to inform others that IMHO this job is not without risk.
    Mike Tee.

Quote Originally Posted by mike tee
    Just completed the Soldering of my Brown Connector and perhaps a word of caution to others contemplating this task. The actual Soldering is the easy part. The removal of the brass male and female connectors from within the plastic Connector Body is very hit and miss and I would say you have about a fifty / fifty chance of buggering up the unit if this is your 1st attempt at this job !!. Yes, you guessed right, as I did. I have cracked the Alterator side of the Plastic body trying to locate and release non-existant tags on the female brass connectors which are located in the Male Plastic Body. Luckily, on reassembly, the entry of the Male (Alternator Side) Plastic Plug into the Female (Rectifier Side) holds everything together and should be OK. Please don,t think I,m having a go at anyone, maybe I have mis-read the procedure which I undertook at my own risk. The reason for this post is to inform others that IMHO this job is not without risk.
    Mike Tee.
    Did you read all of my posts on page one of this thread? Particularly the following info:"To disassemble the stator side brown connector you reach in from the rear & depress the molded tabs hanging down & pull the wire/spade back & out."
    John B.

apriliaforum Member

Connector Disassembly

Yes John I did read all of the previous instructions but must have had it in my mind that the Tabs holding the female brass connectors in the Brown Connector where the same as those in the White Connector, ie metal Tags. My mistake. If I where to do the Job again I would now (through experience and having seen inside the various Plastic Connectors without the brass connectors blocking the view) make a better job of it.!! Perhaps it would be wise to add the word "Plastic" before the "moulded tabs hanging down" bit. Anyhow, once again thanks for your info and Pictures. As of now, with just the connectors Soldered and no other mods I have 13.8 volts at tickover and 13.1 at 4000 RPM. Both Brown and White Connectors are cool to the touch but I notice that the Rectifier gets quite warm.
    Mike Tee

Quote Originally Posted by mike tee
    Yes John I did read all of the previous instructions but must have had it in my mind that the Tabs holding the female brass connectors in the Brown Connector where the same as those in the White Connector, ie metal Tags. My mistake. If I where to do the Job again I would now (through experience and having seen inside the various Plastic Connectors without the brass connectors blocking the view) make a better job of it.!! Perhaps it would be wise to add the word "Plastic" before the "moulded tabs hanging down" bit. Anyhow, once again thanks for your info and Pictures. As of now, with just the connectors Soldered and no other mods I have 13.8 volts at tickover and 13.1 at 4000 RPM. Both Brown and White Connectors are cool to the touch but I notice that the Rectifier gets quite warm.
    Mike Tee
    I edited that post to clarify where the tabs are. Now you have to decide how to bring your charging rate up to spec as 13.1v @4k will not keep your battery properly charged. It's time to either do one of the wiring mods or replace the stock rectifier.
    John B.

you could always buy one of these for the job

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...86&postcount=2

apriliaforum prov-nov nuton2wheels's Avatar
    Excellent tutorial. I applied the solder to the wire ends and the crimped part of the connector that encases them. I also painted the exposed wire (above the housing) with liquid electrical tape to "seal" the system off. Liquid Electrical Tape (by Star brite) is available from Home Depot for $5.99.

Quote Originally Posted by paddyz1
    you could always buy one of these for the job

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...86&postcount=2
    no idea what that link is, this is what I get:

vBulletin Message
    RobC, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
    1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Me too Rob C

Hey I got the same thing you did Rob
    But it must be working cuz nuton2wheels said it was an excellent tutorial. Anybody else out there having trouble??
    AndyD
    94 GTS 1000 gone to a good home! 04 ST1300 Micah was right. 42.3 mpg
    Smooth as silk. "Naturally the common people don't want war: neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But after all it is the leaders of a country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or fascist dictaatorship, or a parliament or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peace makers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country. H. Goring

Any ideas

Okay so I'm doing the soldering as I've installed the new rectifier from Bordella but here's my problem:
    I can't seem to get the three female connectors out of the brown housing!!
    I've removed the white locking tab as instructed but they won't budge. The brown connector is definitely not burned but the plastic is a little "mushy" and all I seem to be doing is marring it and I don't want to destroy it for sure.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    AndyD
    94 GTS 1000 gone to a good home! 04 ST1300 Micah was right. 42.3 mpg
    Smooth as silk. "Naturally the common people don't want war: neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But after all it is the leaders of a country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or fascist dictaatorship, or a parliament or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peace makers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country. H. Goring

The stator side brown connector is pretty simple once you remove the white block. The only thing holding the wires in is the cone shaped molded protrusion at the rear in each cavity. Slip a screw driver in so that the molded tip is pushed up out of the way & pull out the wire.
    John B.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast