Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil In Air Box

apriliaforum newb

Cool Oil In Air Box

Has Anyone Had Oil Appear In The Air Box.(rsvr Mille R 03 Model) Just Changed Air Filter And Found It!!!!!!!!!!

apriliaforum expert
    Yep, it happens to a lot of us. Usually it's from overfilling the engine with oil. You've got to be real careful when you do the oil change. You should do a search about oil change or go to Ken's Falco site which can be found in the Aprilia Links. Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by vsgofast
    Yep, it happens to a lot of us. Usually it's from overfilling the engine with oil. You've got to be real careful when you do the oil change. You should do a search about oil change or go to Ken's Falco site which can be found in the Aprilia Links. Hope it helps.
    Yup - check that oil level.

I am going to question the overfilling oil ends up in the air box theory. I put exacltly 4 u.s. qts in mine which leaves it less than 1/2 way up the site tube and the oil is still in the box. I think it's just a natural occurance due to crankcase venting and an insignificant amount of blow-by. Aprilia must have realized this would happen... hence the clear drain tube in the air box.

01 RSV, Micron TI w/TI chip
    06 Triumph Sprint ST
    01 YZ 250

It seems to have more to do with sustained high RPM running as well. I tend to run my oil level on the high end and only get oil in the air box on rides with a lot of sustained high RPM running. The problem is the result of aprilia not taking the time to incorporate a filtered breather in the air box like they did on the 04's. I built a prototype breather that I have used for three years that completely eliminates the problem. I want to build another that is more like the one on the 04 as mine takes up a fair amount of air box volume using the sump area on the right side of the air box.

Quote Originally Posted by 2pist
    I am going to question the overfilling oil ends up in the air box theory. I put exacltly 4 u.s. qts in mine which leaves it less than 1/2 way up the site tube and the oil is still in the box. I think it's just a natural occurance due to crankcase venting and an insignificant amount of blow-by. Aprilia must have realized this would happen... hence the clear drain tube in the air box.
    Check how much was removed prior to adding the 4 qts.

When draining the oil, if you carefully tip the bike over a bit, about 1/2 qt. of more oil will drain out. This probably accounts for some of the excess.

apriliaforum expert
    Do you have pics of the breather you made? I've been pretty conscious of trying to get the oil level right. At times, I still get a small amount of oil in the airbox.

The problem is the result of aprilia not taking the time to incorporate a filtered breather in the air box like they did on the 04's.
    See KZ, your brilliant. Cars have had filtered breathers for years. Why didn't I think of that?

06 Triumph Sprint ST
    01 YZ 250

Bedale, North Yorkshire / Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
    I routed my breather pipe down and into a clear plastic container and blocked off the airbox breather inlet. Although I got oil in my airbox ( the reason I modded to a catch container ) the most oil I've ever got in the catch bottle is a couple of millimetres (bottle is about 45 mil diameter). Leads me to believe most of the oil is drawn into the airbox due to low pressure in the airbox compared to the engine when its running.
    Steve

When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber.
    Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by vsgofast
    Do you have pics of the breather you made? I've been pretty conscious of trying to get the oil level right. At times, I still get a small amount of oil in the airbox.
    Here is a pic of my breather. Quite simple really. All I did was cover the sump area with a .090" 6061 aluminum plate with a 5/8ths inch hole. The three bolts have nylock nuts on the outside. The entire space under the plate is filled with polyester filtering material from the auto parts store. I bought the largest breather filter I could find and layered several pieces in the space to fill it. At the front bottom of the sump there is a blocked fitting for California models which I opened up and connected a length of vinyl tubing from there to the fitting on the rear head. The fitting extends up from the bottom (on the inside) which I trimmed completely flush with the bottom inside of the box so any oil could drain back to the engine. Plugged the original breather fitting on the left side of the air box and buttoned it up. As I said, I run my oil level quite high. I top it off so the level is at the Max mark at idle fully warmed up. There is never any oil in the air box. It always looks like the picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by kzmille; 05-26-2006 at 03:41 PM.

Here is a picture of the vinyl tube coming from the sump. It was necessary to use a 90' nylon fitting at the sump to get the hose to run nearly horizontal to prevent a low spot in the hose. You can see oil in the bottom of the tubing and the little drain tube is full of oil.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

nicely done KZ!

06 Triumph Sprint ST
    01 YZ 250

apriliaforum expert
    Kz yeah that looks really good. Definitely have to do the mod.

Quote Originally Posted by kzmille View Post
    At the front bottom of the sump there is a blocked fitting for California models which I opened up and connected a length of vinyl tubing from there to the fitting on the rear head.
    Very nice work kzmille!

Any pics of this fitting to the rear head where you're directing the oil back into the engine?

Thanks!

Mike
    Gabro's V6 Chip
    EVO air kit w/ early mille intake
    EVO slave w/ MC bleeder
    KZmille rear brake bleed; http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...89#post1455889
    R&G frame sliders/RhinoMoto axle sliders
    Alum Anodized Hexagon Grill XXL Rad Screen http://www.customcargrills.com/products.asp?id=27
    Canisterectmy
    Fuel tank opening mod
    Leo Alluminio
    Reg/rect 3 wire mod = 14.4-5V @ idle--http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=105574
    Aprilia 2Gen Tank Bag/Coverhttp://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ght=tank+cover
    Low Beam Headlight switchhttp://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...adlight+switch
    Shinko U-Softs/Drag Radial
    Bronze OZ wheels (#198 of 200)

Quote Originally Posted by motomike View Post
    ...Any pics of this fitting to the rear head where you're directing the oil back into the engine?...
    It is just the standard breather fitting on the left side of the rear head. No modifications there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast