Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Wire mod instructions for Dummies, Like ME!

I question the use of a 30 amp fuse. If you look at the wiring diagram you are basically putting the new wiring in parallel with the existing wiring, which is the whole point of the mod, right, to reduce the current in each wire.
    I followed this over from the Mille Forum. You still have 30 amps. Even though you have two fuses it will still take 30 amps to blow a fuse. The only way that is going to happen is if you have a direct short to ground. If it blows one, it will blow the other as electricity will follow the path of least resistance first, then the one with higher resistance. From the description of the mod, it's about reducing resistance rather than reducing the amperage in each wire. Heat creates resistance which will create more heat etc. The cleaner path (less resistance) the current has to flow the less heat will get created. The most sano install would be to go with bikpaintr's correct terminals and connectors. This way it would all be the same stock materials but connected more efficiently. A crimp connection can work as well as any soldered one but you have to have the right tool for the job. The GM electrical course recommended a "hammer and anvil" type crimper. This will give you a factory "looking" professional crimp. It works better than the actual factory crimps in that it's wider and therefore includes more surface contact area. I'll attach a link to the crimping tool if anyone is interested......sean
    Here is a link to the correct tool I'm talking about: http://cableorganizer.com/klein-tool...-insulated.htm
    Last edited by NorCalRSVR; 09-20-2005 at 12:11 AM.

Crimp vs solder

You may get as good of a mechanical connection, if your are very good, but I think John pointed out that soldering also eliminates oxidation build up from the heating and coolng that normally goes on. I for one think that soldering the altenator connector leads is the easiest and quickest way to fix that problem.

I just performed the wire mod and it does work very well. However, after examining the RSV wire diagram, I figured if the connector between the voltage regulator and wire harness (the brown plug) is inefficient in its stock form, so is the connector at the other end of the wire harness at the generator. Today I disconnected the generator plug, which is a round white plug located on the right side of the engine behind the frame rail, and found that it had turned brown inside due to excessive heat. I soldered the connectors in that plug as well. The tank must be lifted to make enough room to work. The generator plug is waterproofed with rubber. I used wd40 so I could slide the rubber down the wires easily. In conclusion, I suggest you solder the generator connector as well. The wires in the generator connector on my 2 year old Tuono were oxodized at the connectors. I suggest plenty of flux to be sure the solder makes a good connection. Happy motoring!
    Last edited by PSUCJ; 12-11-2005 at 05:17 PM.
    Chris
    2003 Tuono

Good point there- I have done the mod and I'm still only getting 13.7 v. I think I'll have to chase this up to the alternator.

Vello,
    Just some caution.
    I have found that 13.7 volts at the guage is about 14.2 at the battery.
    Several other folks have noted about a .5V drop in the guage circuit. I belive 14.2-3 is about the max you want to go, so measure at the battery

Thanks, Joe. I can't find that connector he's talking about anyway.
    Last edited by velowood; 12-21-2005 at 02:59 PM.

Rsv

Firebolter,
    Very good,
    Is this mod going to work on my Mille?
    Last edited by Marvoging; 01-04-2006 at 12:56 PM.

Marvo Ging

'You can check out, but you can never leave..'

YES---make sure you do the voltage check with a meter at the battery for both idle and with the bike at 4K. Then re-check after the mod, you'll see the difference.
    2014 BMW F800GSA & 2015 Kawi Z1000
    06 Husky SM610 Hooligan Jr.
    07 KTM 525 EXC
    13 Husaberg TE 300
    11 Beta 300 Race Rep 2T Trials
    1971 BSA 250 Trials

Now there are 2 "Cylinders" on my ride, parallel BABY!!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    FB - just did the mod, don't have a voltmeter but now getting 13.7 idle and 13.5 at 4K on the dash. Prior it was in the low 12's and wouldn't start 1 in 8 times. Found out how poor my soldering skills are,and I absolutely could not get the female end of the white plug to solder it. For those who don't do the brown plug - i did the white connector, added the wires and started the bike. In a minute or two, the yellow's were so hot I couldn't touch them. The plastic inside had melted a little, so I cut out the brown plug and butt-connected/soldered the wire directly. Started again, stayed cool after 5 minutes of idling.

Too much snow and sand to ride, but I'm really looking forward to hitting the starter and knowing its gonna fire all the time.

Great job, really appreciate the time you put into this.

Good deal...........People don't realize how hot that brown plug/wires get. I was amazed. The first thing I did to my Tuono when I got it before I even had 50 miles on it was solder all of the spades on both the brown and white plug.
    07 KTM 525 EXC
    13 Husaberg TE 300
    1971 BSA 250 Trials

apriliaforum Member

wire mod not

Thanks bikpaintr for taking care of my bike properly, no wire mod for my falco.
    It's all good.

Even with the new Reccy from Bikepaintr, you should still solder your spades on the plugs, he'll even tell ya that.
    07 KTM 525 EXC
    13 Husaberg TE 300
    1971 BSA 250 Trials

apriliaforum Member

firebolter

Thanks firebolter, I took my bike to the man himself to do the work, it's all done properly.
    It's all good.

Bloody big thank you! Done it, it works, wasnt too hard, even 4 me!!!
    Cheers

apriliaforum expert anzacinexile's Avatar
    Donít want to throw a spanner in the works but I have just checked my Falco. True to form, I was getting 13.8V at the battery and warm brown plugs. Before I started hacking the looms however, I thought I just give her some TLC first. I stripped and cleaned the plugs/sockets and then applied a bit of switch cleaner. Plugged/unplugged a few times to clean the contacts and re-checked. 14.5 V tick-over, 14.3 V @ 4000rpm and very cold brown plugs. As a result, I donít think I bother, just add it to the service routine.
    Chris
    Probability factor now 1:1, normality has been returned. Anything you canít deal with now is your own problem

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast