Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine heat problem - is it true?

Engine heat problem - is it true?

Read just now that the RSV has a svere problem with excess heat coming off the engine onto arms and legs. Is this true? Can anyone confirm or deny this please?

Ride safe,

WARNING: It is illegal to put any non-Italian accessory on your Italian bike!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain
    "Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong." - Oscar Wilde

You Are 82% Evil

You're the most evil person you know.
    The devil is even a little scared of you!

How Evil Are You?
    http://www.blogthings.com/howevilareyouquiz/

apriliaforum Member
    I may not not be the best to judge since run water wetter... but, my Factory runs ~10 degrees cooler than a friends SV1000 also with water wetter and 20 degrees cooler than my friend Super Hawk... It runs about the same as my Futura. As for the heat on the legs... Pretty much everything I've ridden has been Hot... and that is 27 years of riding??? The Factory certainly hasn't struck me as any worse than anything else out there???

Is there a problem with engine heat? If there is I hav'nt noticed.

Edit: Sometimes my right toe gets warm.
    --Tim
    '04 Factory in Silver
    :

apriliaforum expert
    v-twins produce a lot of heat which is why titanium headers can have problems, having the rear cylinder exhaust header by your leg doesnt help but unless you are in shorts and flip-flops it doesnt get too bad. I would use exhaust wrap as well as jet hot if it is a major problem

I test rode a Buell the other day - that was unbearable!!! Haven't ever had a problem with my BMW but then it's a 4cyl and only revs to like 8k

It is seldom much over 25C here (about 77F) so maybe it wont be a problem...

Ride safe,

WARNING: It is illegal to put any non-Italian accessory on your Italian bike!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain
    "Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong." - Oscar Wilde

You Are 82% Evil

You're the most evil person you know.
    The devil is even a little scared of you!

How Evil Are You?
    http://www.blogthings.com/howevilareyouquiz/

Operating Temps

Do these newer RSVs run a hotter thermostat, Clarkie?

When I took John Rossi's Factory out for a ride it seemed like alot of heat came up through that gap between fairing panels and frame spars.

My bike had started to run what I would call hot (from what I remember of last summers riding, oh man what a blast!) any way I checked the res and it seemed a tad bit low. Adding some additional water helped drop the numbers from a high of 207f to around 198 - 204. This was ok to me I could feel the difference, then I got to thinking about the 25,000 miles I have racked up so far and decided to flush the system as best as I could.

Now that made a huge difference it runs around the 176 range pretty consistently. I used just water as a coolant replacement will get some water wetter and add that at some point.
    There is no better place to find good advice about life, business dealings and fear than from people who have gone through it before.

IT Services

RED 2004 RSV1000R
    PCIII usb custom map
    Full Arrow headers and Ti slipons
    Michelin Power One tires
    MotoBit's rearsets
    16\43 gearing
    F.Fabrri double bubble
    Removed Flywheel
    Showa forks with Ohlins internals - Thompson Suspension
    Ohlins Steering dampner
    Ohlins rear shock
    36,000 miles
    New timing chains.
    1:35's at Pacific raceways
    2:12's at Miller Motorsports AMA track

You can roast nuts with one of these

And I think I have. My Factory seems to hover around 200 in these warmer days (give or take a few). It's hot . On the RZ500, the back cylinder pipes go right under the seat and on warm days, they can have the same effect. I think it's trying to say "if you can't wear proper protection, don't play with me."

RZ Rob
    Keep the Rubber Side Down

Bikes

2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory - Silver (the fastest color)
    2007 Aprilia SXV 550 - Plated
    1999 Aprilia RS250 - Plated
    2003 Honda CRF150 - Plated (girlfriend's toy)
    2006 Honda CRF450 - Fun Toy
    1970 Honda Z50 - Plated (pretty clean)
    GoPed Sport - Conquered IOM TT in 2000

Mine gets up to 223 in Dallas traffic when it's 98 outside within 30 min for my 1 hour trip home. I have water wetter in since Thursday, and the only difference I can tell right now is that once you start moving above 25mph, the temp drops a lot quicker with water wetter. On the pluse side, with the engine heat, ambiant heat, road heat, and non-perf leathers, I have slimmed down a bit. Not that I had much to loose to begin with.

Marcus

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeonline
    My '97 TL 1000 S seldom rises above 180. While cruising at the same speeds that would give my RSVR a temp reading of 185, The TL is stable at 164!
    The SV my friend rides runs ~10 degrees hotter than the Factory, and not 180 either... more like 210+. Before the water wetter we'd roll to light and he'd be at 220... I'd be close to 200... I'm sure there are other factors: he's got an agressive map (power comander) , he shifts later (to keep up ),

but this is not a random sample... here in the hot south (VA) when I roll to the stop it's not uncommon that someone wants to compare engine temps (paranoia probably)... The Factory always comes up cool

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeonline
    Clarkie, I DID wrap my right leg & flip flops in heat wrap, but it's STILL extremely warm & uncomfortable!
    Did you wrap it clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Stop ya moaning ya pack of pussies. Heat is only noticable if you are riding slowly in town or spend your time sitting idling outside cafes. Just ride the bloody thing and get the cool air flowing and it's not a problem.

Having said that, I jet coated my headers and removed the catalitic converters.

The bike is a lot warmer in stock form due to the catalitic converters in the mufflers. These heat up and the extra back pressure increases heat. If you core the stock cans or put aftermarket mufflers (or a full system) on the bike it is alot cooler... in more ways than one!

I ride summer and winter and only notice the heat in mid summer in 26+C heat if im going slow or at lights.
    ScottyDog

Official Aprilia Linkage Tester !

My Garage is a bottomless pit of cash sucking hopelessness. So it's definitely part of the family!

apriliaforum Member Johnny in Oz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scott2ride
    Stop ya moaning ya pack of pussies. Heat is only noticable if you are riding slowly in town or spend your time sitting idling outside cafes. Just ride the bloody thing and get the cool air flowing and it's not a problem.

Having said that, I jet coated my headers and removed the catalitic converters.

The bike is a lot warmer in stock form due to the catalitic converters in the mufflers. These heat up and the extra back pressure increases heat. If you core the stock cans or put aftermarket mufflers (or a full system) on the bike it is alot cooler... in more ways than one!

I ride summer and winter and only notice the heat in mid summer in 26+C heat if im going slow or at lights.
    Ditto what he said.

Except that I got my headers coated and changed pipes - but this really makes bugger all difference IMO. I really could'nt care less though. I always ride in leathers and what's an issue occasionally in summer is an unexpected benefit in winter.

John
    '04 Factory

To solve this issue I hear CC rides naked and apparently loves the heat on his balls.

He even installed STOMP knee grips in the groin area to "Improve Feel!"
    ScottyDog

Official Aprilia Linkage Tester !

My Garage is a bottomless pit of cash sucking hopelessness. So it's definitely part of the family!

apriliaforum expert Dr. Thrillride's Avatar
    I coated mine too and don't notice the difference. It's a matte black ceramic coating but I don't think it's as thick as the jethot type coating.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast