Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: V 990 out? Cube in?

V 990 out? Cube in?

Last weekend (Moto GP weekend) I heard from a local aprilia dealership employee that Aprilia is going to put the Cube (triple) Moto GP engine in a streetbike that will replace the RSV Mille. Anyone heard about this?

Also, that two 450 twins will be joined to make a V4 Moto GP bike.
    Fact or fiction?

I heard Kawasaki plans to buy Ducati

will it also burst into flames like the track version?

And your point is?

Quote Originally Posted by thunderex
    will it also burst into flames like the track version?
    Only if you leave the gas cap open.

apriliaforum expert Bill in OKC's Avatar
    There was an interview in Cycle News a while back about some of this. They said the V990 would be bumped up to almost 1200cc for use in a new Futura among other things. The triple was discussed - a big IF - they go superbike racing, they realize a non-desmo 1000cc v-twin does not have a chance so they would bring out a street version of the cube. So far all versions of this rumor agree that the pneumatic valve tecnology would remain in the street bike and also that they would be limited production (read expensive) homologation specials ala Ducati. Also an inline 600cc bike to compete with the Japanese. It was said that Piaggio would be developing the engines in-house instead of shopping outside the company. That could be a good thing, I guess. I know from personal experience that the reps at Laguna will sometimes take liberties and blow some smoke up some skirts but the article in Cycle News came from Piaggio brass.

apriliaforum expert
    If that was the article that Alan Cathcart wrote the unofficial response we got when we questioned the 1200cc 'Futura' and the 600 inline to compete with the Japanese 600's was that Cathcart may have had a little too much chiante to drink

Not saying they wont happen but the 'official' info we got was quite different to the article, there are cool new models coming but you will just have to wait and see

Quote Originally Posted by Bill in OKC
    they realize a non-desmo 1000cc v-twin does not have a chance .

What do you mean by that, do you actually believe that desmo valve train gives more power? Ducati is stuck with it because of "tradition", but there's been no advantages to the desmo layout since they've been making reliable high rpm valve springs...plus these days they've driven by a rubber belt so it's not even "elegant".

and BTW I'm not exactly a Duc hater, I just bought my 4th one.

Shared Vino

Clarkie, one of the most credible Aprilia USA reps may have been sipping from Cathcart's bottle, as he confirmed the Big Futura talk and the 600cc inline four too.

Either he was inebriated or...

The article was an interview with a Piaggio executive, but unfortunately I cannot remember who it was. All I can say is this information was not mine or Cathcarts, but came from a real-live Piaggio executive.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoR
    What do you mean by that, do you actually believe that desmo valve train gives more power? Ducati is stuck with it because of "tradition", but there's been no advantages to the desmo layout since they've been making reliable high rpm valve springs...plus these days they've driven by a rubber belt so it's not even "elegant".

and BTW I'm not exactly a Duc hater, I just bought my 4th one.
    You are asking the wrong man... You need to talk to Piaggio Brass about that one.

apriliaforum expert
    when is an evolution not an evolution? when it has a new name
    the Tuono is really just a naked Mille or the Falco fighter updated but was introduced declared a new model, a Honda Hornet is a 600 inline 4 but isnt a 'supersport' model, is the new new Sprint ST really still a Sprint ST or is it a new model with an old model's name, and yeah some of the aprilia reps have been known to indulge in the chiante as well (can you blame them?)

not so long ago an aprilia rep at laguna spread news about a new model that never happened Until I see a photo of a '1200 Futura' or the 'RS250 with the 450 engine' I dont see them happening, (cant sell what doesnt exist), of course any variation and combination is possible.

That of course doesnt mean there isnt a new bike with a 1200cc engine in the RS250 chassis, a new 550 Futura, a new 2 stroke middle weight, a RSV 'Tripple' in the works with real working muffler bearings, it does mean they are thinking outside the box which is why they are as good as they are now

The 'new' magnesium motor is just an evolutin too. And the "Dream" series materialized too... Give me my dreams man... The worst that can happen is Aprilia goes bankrupt

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoR
    do you actually believe that desmo valve train gives more power?
    Absolutly! If you were to take a desmo cam and remove the closers and run springs the redline would be quite a bit lower and springs would be failing quite often. Desmo race cams have very agressive opening and closing ramps that would eat even the best springs.
    Just shut the f*** up and ride the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko
    Absolutly! If you were to take a desmo cam and remove the closers and run springs the redline would be quite a bit lower and springs would be failing quite often. Desmo race cams have very agressive opening and closing ramps that would eat even the best springs.

????? 15k rpms is routine in any japanese L4 these days.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast