Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tuono air box ??

Tuono air box ??

Hi all you experts
    My 03 Tuono is new this year and has only run 3000km, it had service and desrestriction at 1500km
    Changed the air filter myself today and notised that under the filter in the center of the inlet there is a tube pointing in from the front.
    Is this tube good for anything? or should i remowe it ?
    Thanks in advance
    Rune
    Norway

apriliaforum newb
    This tube is a fixed part of the airbox inlet and cannot be removed by itself. The entire inlet needs to be replaced. Go to the shopping section here and get the older, unrestricted inlet to replace it. Doing the swap isn't hard.

Airboot

Tuono on left 2000 mille on right hope this helps
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This forum ruules
    thank you guys, i vil order the older and better one.
    Regards

I've been considering getting the older version. My only question is if it seals as well? Obviously it just butts up to the frame but are there any fitment issues? The new version kind of plugs in.
    2003 Tuono (In the garage still!)
    2010 Sachs Madass 125
    2011 Kawasaki Concours 1400
    2013 Tuono V4 Black (Most Addicting bike to ride so far!)

Airboot

The difference in flow will more than make up for the fitting issue i know.
    Plus the added induction roar is the biz.

steve

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by THUNDR
    I've been considering getting the older version. My only question is if it seals as well? Obviously it just butts up to the frame but are there any fitment issues? The new version kind of plugs in.
    It doesn't seal perfectly. The flares just press up against the inside of the frame and there can be a bit of a gap (tiny) between the flares on the inlet box and the frame. Not sure that this makes too much of a difference though. There probably isn't a huge amount of "ram air" effect from those inlet scoops on the outside of the frame, and even if there is a bit of an effect, the gap between the older intake box and the frame is minimal and incomplete, so most of the airflow will still go into the intake and not through the gaps. If there isn't a "ram air" effect, then I can't see how it makes any difference if the intake box is grabbing air from inside the frame or outside (as long as there isn't any restriction to flow.)

I just got an '03 Tuono that hadn't been derestricted so I went through this exercise in the past few days. On the intake side, I put in the new inlet box, took out the restrictor plate on the floor of the airbox, and put in a new Evoluzione air filter. On the back end, I took off the stock silencer and replaced it with an Akropovic slip on. To deal with the altered air/fuel relationships, I installed a PCIIIusb and am about to have a custom map done at my local shop. In the meanwhile, I am using one of the maps off of the PowerCommander web site. The difference in power is dramatic.
    Last edited by kirkmoon; 06-27-2005 at 06:02 PM.

Max Lean Angle / Administrator Ed / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by THUNDR
    it fits perfect....

Aprilia does sell adhesive gaskets that attach to the inside of the frame and seal to the airboot. We used to sell the Aprilia gaskets but they started wanting like $9 each, and they were always on B/O. Go make your own from Home Depot. You want to seal the entire air ducts from the very front, inside and outside of the frame all the way to the airbox.

There are gaskets which go between the frame and the '00 RSV rubber intake boot - Aprilia p/n 8144176 if my information is correct (two of them are needed - one for each side of the snorkel)

I see Ed answered while I was typing - what he said
    Last edited by prillernut; 06-27-2005 at 06:26 PM.

apriliaforum expert gordon gauge's Avatar
    The swap is good for about 1 horsepower. Don't know if it improves gas mileage? GG

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed / AF1 Racing
    Go make your own from Home Depot. You want to seal the entire air ducts from the very front, inside and outside of the frame all the way to the airbox.
    Any suggestion on what material to use to make the gasket?
    Kirk Moon

'03 Aprilia Tuono
    '05 BMW R1200GS
    '01 Honda XR650R (currently in supermoto trim)
    '04 KTM 450 EXC
    Aprilia Scarabeo 50 scooter

Max Lean Angle / Administrator Ed / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    I use the foam adhesive-backed weatherstripping.....they sell a few different thicknesses....get maybe like 1/4" and 5/16" thick,

for what Aprilia wants for one gasket, you could buy every size Home Depot has....

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed / AF1 Racing
    I use the foam adhesive-backed weatherstripping.....they sell a few different thicknesses....get maybe like 1/4" and 5/16" thick,

for what Aprilia wants for one gasket, you could buy every size Home Depot has....
    Thanks very much.
    Kirk Moon

'03 Aprilia Tuono
    '05 BMW R1200GS
    '01 Honda XR650R (currently in supermoto trim)
    '04 KTM 450 EXC
    Aprilia Scarabeo 50 scooter

What is that tube in the middle of the inlets of the newer version air boot actually supposed to do?

Any detrimental effects if it is just removed?

Dave

apriliaforum Junkie GA.Hooligan's Avatar
    How does this restrict the airflow?? Am I missing something? The intakes lead straight to the airbox opening. I assume this is just a baffle inside the intake tract to baffle noise to meet Euro noise standards?? What gives? And Why has someone not come up with an open filter kit or are there sensors in the airbox that prevents this??

Matt in GA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast