Thread: misfire and iridium plugs

apriliaforum expert

misfire and iridium plugs

My bike started a missfire on sunday at the end of the ride. Not all the time just ocasionally when gently accelerating 3-4000 rpm under load.

It feels just like a plug breaking down , a split second switch off. of 1 cylinder.

I have no fault codes as coil was the first thing that came to mind.

My next thing is to put the old plugs back in , I have recently fited new iridium plugs, and just wondering how any of you are getting on with them.

I am not blaming the plugs its just a hunch , that I probably have all wrong.

The other thing I have noticed lately is the tickover is a little haywire. sometimes its up around 1500 and now its at 1200 and the engine feels a tiny bit lumpy 1300 was always about where it sat.

It goes fine when you rev it.
    Exspert?? Ex = has been, spert = a drip under pressure.

apriliaforum expert QuickSilverCapo's Avatar
    Ian,

I just put Iridium plugs in my bike. Everything seems fine....Bike feels smoother and I think MPG is a little better.
    But I got a bad tank of gas up in Mass. last week and that REALLY caused my bike to run like shit. Thank God for Seafoam fuel treatment

apriliaforum expert
    Funny you should say that . Not heard of seafoam but I guess it a fuel aditive to dissolve water .
    I use Dry fuel and put some in the tank yesterday and wen't for a ride , no missfire .
    I am not sure if the problem was water but I did clean out the tank a few weeks ago after a misfire problem and found some water. I didn't have a new filter for the tank so maybe some water was left in there .
    I hope thats all it was , I really didn't think a fuel injection bike would be too bothered by a little water in the fuel but maybe Iam wrong ,
    I used Wynns Dry fuel

I also noticed the same improvement with the iridium plugs but as I said at the time was it just new plugs or the iridium , that we will never know unless we fit some new standard ones now and see if there is a difference .

Heres the stuff that helped me out....My bike would barely run, and this stuff worked instantly. I told the parts guy what was going on and that I thought it was bad gas. He said "We just got this stuff in, and its the best on the market."
    http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUp.htm
    Im sure other treatments may have worked, but I was VERY impressed with this product and how fast it worked.
    I have read posts about bad gas from other Capo owners. I figured that had to be it or Id get an EFI flash. It wasnt just hesitating...It was hard to start, then would barely run at idle or low RPM.

apriliaforum expert
    Geez that stuff is the one stop fix it.
    I guess you had water in the fuel and used it as a fuel aditive to get rid of the water, you don't actually say , as the stuff can be used in other ways.

The wynns product is mainly for water in fuel but is also an injector cleaner etc, although they make a specific injector cleaner for petrol engines. I am thinking of running a tank full through with that in also . It allways cleaned up the way injected cars ran so I reason it can't do any harm to the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by ian-parkes
    Geez that stuff is the one stop fix it.
    I guess you had water in the fuel and used it as a fuel aditive to get rid of the water, you don't actually say , as the stuff can be used in other ways.
    It apparently can be used in the crankcase also...But yes, because I thought the problems were bad-fuel related, I put it into my gas tank.
    I may put a little in the tank every once in a while for maintenence.