Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirror mirror on the wall...

Mirror mirror on the wall...

....who's got the most gorgeous-looking Futura of them all!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    This Must Be The Place

The widest parts of the bike are now the handlebar ends.
    This Must Be The Place

I got the mirrors from Cwalker, who's never used them so they're in mint condition. Absolutely brand-spanking new. He only had one rubber tho so I made a replica out of a wheel barrow inner tyre. You cannot tell the difference. There were a few snags tho....
    This Must Be The Place

The Futura one has bolts you can undo while the RSV doesn't. Also, you need a 7 mm long bushing, preferably 8 mm in outside diameter because that's the diameter of the holes in the fairing subframe you put the mirror in. The distance between the outside of the fairing and the bottom of that frame hole is 8 mm so you best use a bushing that's a little shorter so you can tighten the mirror properly.
    Now as it happens, I had 4 of these Allen bolts with inner 6 mm thread in them. Perfect for the job!
    This Must Be The Place

Next is a hacksaw and measure it correctly and voilà!
    This Must Be The Place

The RSV mirrors had the cables cut off very short but I managed to solder the Fut's mirror cables with their respective connectors still attached on nicely. Shrink tube and all that on, no worries.
    The mirror bolts are in exactly the same place as the Futura's so that a non-issue and I checked and was tempted to put the outside temperature sensor into the bottom stalk of the RSV mirrors. There's just enough room to do it!
    But I tie-wrapped it to the fairing subframe coz I didn't want to overdo it and I think it's a useless accessory anyway.
    The RSV mirrors cover all holes perfectly so that's a no-brainer too.
    Here are a few shots that I hope illustrate the difference between the mirrors.
    This Must Be The Place

2015 (okay 2016 for the yanks) Tuono V4 1100 Factory. 4th Aprilia since 1999 and never owned a Mille!
    Bridgestone S21's, 2 SW-Motech 12V tank bags, Brembo RCS 19, Arrow Dark, Race Map

__________________________________________________ ____________
    This Must Be The Place

As for the view, I think it's a little less but that's not the width of the mirrors but the shape. I haven't ridden the bike yet and I could tell they may vibrate a little too. But they can still be folded now so I can always add a dab of silicone or any of the other means to minimize vibration.

Finally got rid of the VERY distracting red things that always made me think I was capsizing in corners.
    Finally a bike narrow enough to stop this pesky 'getting out of the way of narrower bikes while filtering'.
    Top of the food chain again.
    Filtering: it's your god-given right.

Thanks to Cwalker for bringing them to me quickly. We made a deal that was satisfying for both of us and didn't have to make us part with any cash.

Ooh and there's the weight issue too. The RSV ones are quite a bit lighter. Although as you've guessed by now.......I haven't weighed them.
    This Must Be The Place

apriliaforum Member

thats cool

I have to get down a very narrow alley to the back of my house and my red mirrors are all scratched, this looks like a perfect answer to my problems, how hard a job is it ( mechanically inept) and what was the cost

nobby

I didn't find it difficult at all. All the steps are described in detail I thought....
    You need a hacksaw for the bushings and some soldering kit, that's about it. If you don't have bushings, I suggest you take out the ones used for the fuse box cover in the dash. You need to undo the dash covers anyway. Mine have been out for two years. Far too fiddly every time you have to put the cover back on.

A new RSV mirror costs 249 € (a Futura's 279 €...). A lot of people go racing with their RSV's tho so if you go to a track and RSV riders ask for mirrors I'm sure you'll find them. Maybe ask around on the RSV'04 forum or in the classifieds on this forum.
    This Must Be The Place

apriliaforum Member
    nice job, i likey. let us know what they are like after you have ridden it.

lee
    cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I almost did this a year ago but was quoted £95 + VAT per mirror!

In the end I just bought a can of matt black paint for a fiver and did this...

I really like it ............good job there Bef.........

Cheers,
    Danny

2015 Caponord Rally !

apriliaforum Member Jean-François's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Befbever
    The widest parts of the bike are now the handlebar ends.
    When the panniers are not on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast