Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Fiamm Dual Horn Installation

apriliaforum Member BillyFutura's Avatar

Pic with tywraps

Was in there today working on my dash so I shot a pic showing the tywraps.
    Name:  PICT1925.JPG
Views: 2291
Size:  74.6 KB

A bit of an unorthodox install, but the horn isn't going anywhere and I couldn't figure anything else out. The horn part actually points a bit down towards the ground such that the sound reflects off the ground and gets disbursed.
    2001 Stream Silver Futura (sold)
    2002 Ash Black Futura
    Heli-bars, AF1 fuel qd fix, Throttlemeister, c/f hugger, Famsa 246 tank bag, Evoluzione air filter, Wilber full tilt shock(-1"), Falco forks modified by Lindemann Engineering, Taylormade exhaust, John's rectifier, R&G frame sliders, Scottoiler w/dual injector, Odyssey 545 drycell battery, Stebel Nautilus Compact Dual-Tone airhorn, HID headlamps, , Garmin Zumo GPS, Passport radar detector, Doran tire pressure monitor, Pazzo levers, heated grips.

apriliaforum prov-nov

Great Picture Cmcnamee

Thanks for posting that picture.Nice work by the way.This week I will install my horn.
    IT IS NICE TO BE IMPORTANT,BUT IT IS MORE IMPORTANT TO BE NICE.
    Mowie po polsku.

apriliaforum prov-nov

This is how I did it.

This is not my best work but mount is very stiff.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    IT IS NICE TO BE IMPORTANT,BUT IT IS MORE IMPORTANT TO BE NICE.
    Mowie po polsku.

I stumbled across this thread trying to find something louder than a scream from inside the helmet for my RSV. I got the Nautilus to give it a shot.

OMG is that thing L-O-U-D. I mounted it in the lower pan opposite the oil tank. Even with all of the panels put back on, the sound is nuts.

Winter may bring a fairing trim / mod to let all of the sound out.

Well worth the money.
    2000 RSV -All of the normal stuff
    2016 YZ250FX - Ice/Dirt Whore

"DUDE, don't worry. We can fix it. My old man's a television repair man... he's got an awesome set of tools..."

After 2 close calls where the stock dying bird of a horn did absolutely nothing to get the attention of encroaching cagers, I decided it was time to finally upgrade.

Just picked up the Stebel Nautilus aka "The Ear Cannon" when purchased from Aerostich/RiderWarehouse. Very aptly named.
    After reading this post, I got it and the relay mounted in the right fairing pocket very similar to Carl/cmcnamee.

Right now I have all 4 wires dangling through the front wheel area.
    I have an auxiliary fuse block under the seat, so the 12ga main is headed back that way.

I have 2 questions, any input greatly appreciated:

Where did you guys terminate the grounds? I have enough wire length to run back to the batt if necesary. Is it? Or is there a good frame grounding point?

Where did you find the stock horn trigger wire for the relay? All the way down by the horn itself or in the harness somewhere? I'd like to tap into the harness/connector up behind the dash if possible.

The way bikpaintr's original post read: "I pulled the stock horn wires over behind the fan, taped off the stock ground wire & attached my relay signal wire to the stock positive horn wire. From here you can follow the stock harness up into the fairing."

As I interpret that: Pull connector from stock horn, (after pulling front plastic radiator shrouding) wires allow enough slack to relocate over to right side near fans and go from there.

Thanks
    '03 Futura, silver/blue. S/S Q-D, charging/wiring mod, Smoke d/b windscreen, NWS c/f hugger, R+G frame sliders, Rhino fork sliders, powerlet, custom 916 cans, Hyper-Lites on the crossbar, Stebel Nautilus air horn, Acumen DGV, Kimpex heated grips, GSXR mirrors, various CKruzel stickers, minor road rash for added style points and that "lived in" look. Could really use a respray.

Got it. n/m.

The gray wire from the left control harness in the 9 pin connector behind the dash is the + trigger for the horn.

Ran all the way to the battery with the heavy power and ground.
    I just plugged a spade into the unused 2-pin dash connector for ground to the relay coil.

I now have both the stocker and the Nautilus wired to the horn button.
    It's ridiculously freakin' loud....for me anyway.
    Too bad there isn't a way to let ALL the sound out, without cutting up the bike, and letting water in.

Can't wait to properly test it.
    Thanks all for another great thread.
    '03 Futura, silver/blue. S/S Q-D, charging/wiring mod, Smoke d/b windscreen, NWS c/f hugger, R+G frame sliders, Rhino fork sliders, powerlet, custom 916 cans, Hyper-Lites on the crossbar, Stebel Nautilus air horn, Acumen DGV, Kimpex heated grips, GSXR mirrors, various CKruzel stickers, minor road rash for added style points and that "lived in" look. Could really use a respray.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich'sRST View Post
    Got it. n/m.

The gray wire from the left control harness in the 9 pin connector behind the dash is the + trigger for the horn.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    Thanks all for another great thread.

I'll second that Rich'sRST - and thanks for saving me a lot of wire tracing too!

Horn went phut on me just in time for the annual UK m.o.t. test - great! Replacing the stock Bee's fart item like for like is a non-starter - and what a palaver to get at it! Picked up a low-tone Italian made jobbie at my local Auto supply shop today for 10.75 ($22/23?), didn't need a relay and fed the earth (ground) wire to one of the fuse box mounting points. Thanks mainly to the above info' have now got a vastly improved 'Audible means of approach'. It works a treat and was all done in no time, so thanks guys

I took the fairly easy way out and just installed the Fiamm low tone freeway blaster horn. It's ony $15 from Aerostich. I mounted it in the stock location. I pulled the OEM horn wires back through the frame to the right side of the bike near the side panel. I added a $7 30 amp 4 pin relay from Advance Auto. The OEM wires go to pins 85 and 86 of the relay. Pin 87 of the relay goes to one horn contact (used 12 gauge wire). the other horn contact went to ground (horn mounting bracket). The 30 pin of the relay was wired direct to the battery with a 30 amp in line fuse from Radio Shack.

The plastic piece in the front of the bike doesn't quite fit as OEM. All mounting points can be secured except for the two very upper ones. Due to the horn being bigger than the OEM one, the guard rests against the horn housing and causes about a 1/4 in gap from where the upper mounting points of the guard would normally rest. There's 8 other bolts holding the guard in place so I don't think leaving these 2 others out will matter one bit.

This horn is definitely louder than stock. My wife even came out to the garage while I tested it to find out what in the world was going on. It is behind the OEM guard still so some noise is muffled. I may just go back in there and drill some holes so the noise has a clear path out.

Thus far, I'm very pleased with the modification. We'll see how it performs in traffic next.
    WERA Expert #2
    Go Fund Me for my stem cell therapy trip here: http://www.gofundme.com/a9wmzs

I put one of these in place of the stocker. With a little modification to the front trim, fits nicely. Small and packs a punch.
    2007 Tuono 1000R Factory - 22K miles
    Cored OE Racing CansMap2Pazzo Shorty Knock-offs15-40AF1 Link PlatesAprilia Sliders
    Laminar WindscreenLowered PegsLED City and Tag Lights
    ProTaper Universal LowClear Signal Lenses

2017 Z125 PRO in Candy Lime Green
    Many mods

2001 Futura in Silver - Sold, after 8.5 years of service.

Retired - DJ, Turntablist, MC, Creator, Video Editor and Mixologist.
    Cored OE Cans vs Leo Vince Titanium Vid
    Slammin' Tunes!

HF152, 10-26954
    HF564 .024-.028

Chrome extension to see photobucket blocked pics.

For the UK folk, fairly cheap place to get the Stabel Nautlius horn here: e-bay shop linky
    21.70 delivered, compared to 28 from Nippynormans.

(Edit) Well mine turned up this morning and on closer inspection I see it's possible to separated the horn from the compressor, so that should really open up the mounting possibilities (obviously you'll need to re-link them with a length of suitable air hose)!
    Last edited by Nooj; 09-06-2008 at 10:35 AM.

I installed Stebel TM80 dualtone horns: plenty of place left.

Now it sounds like a car. Last summer some mates and me were in front of the
    traffic lights and tested he horns. One of the mates didn't know i replaced my horn and he looked angry at the car behind us when i pushed the horn

2010 Black Tuono 1000R
    2013 Kymco Xciting 400i
    2002 Stream Silver Futura: Falco Showa forks, 320mm rotors , wiring mod, new rectifier, FPR mod, BEF's, custom LED dash with integrated voltmeter, warning lights, HID lights, own design topcase rack, brass fuel couplings
    2005 black/bronze Falco: JCE carbon mufflers, Discacciati cast iron brake discs, wiring mod, Mille shock, warning lights, own design bag rack, HID light, Tomasselli adjustable clipons, mini-LED turn signal lights, Gabro dual map chip
    Past:
    1995 Honda VFR750FS
    1978 Zundapp KS50

apriliaforum Member
    ...just another installation, though I'm very satisfied with the location, position and security of using a worm-drive band (pipe clamp) holding the metal compressor against the dash subframe. Very solid and rattle-free. The dash just fits without interference. I used the empty screw hole in the headlight bracket to attach the relay. Still wiring it up, but pleased with it so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

^^^^^ Has everyone who has this horn had any problems with them? Just asking as WebBike won't recommend them....

You guys are putting those horns right where the 3 HID ballasts are supposed to go!!!

apriliaforum expert
    No problem with mine. It been in for about 2 years now.
    Bill
    '02 Rosso Flame Futura

38K miles + 30K kms

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast