Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fiamm Dual Horn Installation

Quote Originally Posted by drd
    I mounted my Hella Supertones.
    Don, Looks way easier than getting to the stock horns too.
    what did you use to strap them on? did they come with a relay?

I too am interested in sound quality, I can't hear the stock one over my earplugs.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by AprilIan
    Don, Looks way easier than getting to the stock horns too.
    what did you use to strap them on? did they come with a relay?

I too am interested in sound quality, I can't hear the stock one over my earplugs.
    I got them from here. I had them on my previous bike. The sound is obviously different being a diaphram type horn and diffecult to describe, also since I retained the stock horn. The placement provides a slight upward, outward dispersion.

The right side has an Al bracket I bent and painted. The left is just set into cavity behind the fan, in front of the plastic shroud and the side of the upper fairing panel holds it in place. I used some sticky velcro to soften the contact points on the horns.

Don

How loud are they? Can you hear them with your helmet on while riding?
    ďThe roadís what counts...donít worry about where itís goiní."
    - Sam Shepard
    "When I'm riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive."
    -Neil Peart

Hella Supertones db

Quote Originally Posted by The Fixer
    The site says 118db. I can hear them with my helmet and earplugs on while riding.

Don

Uhhhh.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Fixer

I demo'd my horn install (Nautilus by Strobel) for Bob this weekend. You have to hear my setup. You can hear the horn with earplugs in, helmet on and at TOP SPEED. I tried a couple configurations before this one. Hands down AWESOME. Just ask Bob.
    "The fact is that sport-touring is about delicious movement, freedom to go slowly and relax or to turn the throttle and run, with just enough of your favorite stuff in the saddlebags."--CW
    nero ash color | colder fuel disconnect | derestricted air intake | blinder laser jammer | throttlemeister | invisiguard paint protection | carbon fiber hugger | ohlins rear shock | ohlins fork re-valve | ohlins steering damper | R&G crash protectors | iridium spark plugs | apex SS lines | corbin backrest for 2-up riding | dark wheels customized | borella rectifier | pivot covers | k&n air filter | HIDx1 | pazzo shorty race levers | gixxer mirrors | Kisan Relay Flashers + Running Lights

Quote Originally Posted by dugkim
    I demo'd my horn install (Nautilus by Strobel) for Bob this weekend. You have to hear my setup. You can hear the horn with earplugs in, helmet on and at TOP SPEED. I tried a couple configurations before this one. Hands down AWESOME. Just ask Bob.
    hmmm, I'm liking this... how was the install?
    Tim

'07 Tuono Factory

Leo Vince cans, 15/42, CF bits, Rizoma bars, bar ends, & mirrors, Austin Racing rear sets w/ GP shift, Factory Pro Evo shift star kit, radial clutch/brake, CRG levers, Evotech hangers, Powerbronze, billet sidestand, 6k HID, AF1 link plates, lightened flywheel, ÷hlins TTX, BSTs, Bazzaz Fi-TC

'04 Futura in Gloss Black
    Factory Pro shift kit, 15/43, GP shift, CRG's, Evo clutch slave, Bef semi-full (ceramic coated), Wilbers shock, 6k HID, Mille fork lowers DLC coated w/ ÷hlins and 4-pad calipers, radial clutch/brake, lightened flywheel

The Nautilus is definitely loud as are the Hella Supertones I have on my R80/100. When I swapped out the windscreen the other day I looked at replacing my dual Fiamms with one of the compact Nautilus horns. It looked like it could be crammed into the dash area but was a very tight fit & definitely up against the plastic. I'm happy with the Fiamms so I decided not to bother but I'd like to see a pic of your install.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

Not bad

Quote Originally Posted by EditTim
    hmmm, I'm liking this... how was the install?
    The install was pretty straight forward. Just like John said, I installed the horn in the void on the right side behind the dash. It comes with a relay that you wire into your harness and run a positive and negative to your battery. It is awesome and I could be happier.
    "The fact is that sport-touring is about delicious movement, freedom to go slowly and relax or to turn the throttle and run, with just enough of your favorite stuff in the saddlebags."--CW
    nero ash color | colder fuel disconnect | derestricted air intake | blinder laser jammer | throttlemeister | invisiguard paint protection | carbon fiber hugger | ohlins rear shock | ohlins fork re-valve | ohlins steering damper | R&G crash protectors | iridium spark plugs | apex SS lines | corbin backrest for 2-up riding | dark wheels customized | borella rectifier | pivot covers | k&n air filter | HIDx1 | pazzo shorty race levers | gixxer mirrors | Kisan Relay Flashers + Running Lights

Mounting challenge

Any ideas where I can put these? BE NICE!!

152 db!!!

Bob (pain does things to your sense of humor)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

"Although all men are born free, slavery has been the general lot of the human race. Ignorant - they have been cheated; asleep - they have been surprised; divided - the yoke has been forced upon them. But what is the lesson? ...the people ought to be enlightened, to be awakened, to be united, that after establishing a govenment they should watch over it.... It is universally admitted that a well-instructed people alone can be permanently free."
    --James Madison

The install was pretty straight forward. Just like John said, I installed the horn in the void on the right side behind the dash. It comes with a relay that you wire into your harness and run a positive and negative to your battery. It is awesome and I could be happier.

So how did you secure it in there? I use one of the mirror mount studs to hang the bracket for each Fiamm.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

Bracket

Quote Originally Posted by bikpaintr
    So how did you secure it in there? I use one of the mirror mount studs to hang the bracket for each Fiamm.
    I used the supplied bracket, which I bent to 90 deg and installed it on one of the headlight mount screws. That got the horn forward enough that the dash did not hit it when re-intalling it. I guess I should have taken pictures.

Has anyone considered the void behind this little plate (one on each side) for placement of a pair of horns?? With a few slash cuts on the inside of the front wheel well sound dispersion should not be a problem, though you likely would be limited to the diaphragm style since the void is only roughly 2" deep. I also wonder what the purpose of these voids are; they are connected by a thin hollow to the ram air intake so I wonder if they have a designed purpose. Though I'm not normally a brave soul when it comes to cutting holes in my nice bike, I might just try this mod out as the stock horn is definitely not acceptable and I'm not a fan of setting up loud rattly things behind my dash gauges.

Let me know what you think!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Theres nothing rattling behind my dash panels & when I blow the horn it just sounds like a loud horn. Its a much better alternative then carving up the bodywork of your bike!
    John B.

For those interested, I just installed the Stebel Nautilus Compact on my Fut. Here is a picture of how I installed it in the right hand part of the fairing. It's not ideal, but as others have described, there are very few places to hide something that big!

Carl

apriliaforum Member BillyFutura's Avatar

My Nautilus install

My install of the Nautilus was similar to Carl's. I laid it down on the fairing side piece with velcro to hold it in place, but still be able to remove it when I change high beam bulbs. The velcro just keeps it from sliding. I put a longer bolt thru the attaching hole and ty wrapped the bolt to the headlight frame hole which is visible in the picture. Picture is before ty wrap was put there. I used two just for safety sake. The ty wrap insures that the horn wont move into fork area and the velcro insures it wont slide there. I also added some foam between the horn and headlite connector just to be safe in case it wants to do damage to it The sound level really is pretty amazing. Nice dual tone too.

Name:  NautilusInstall.jpg
Views: 1341
Size:  182.4 KB
    2001 Stream Silver Futura (sold)
    2002 Ash Black Futura
    Heli-bars, AF1 fuel qd fix, Throttlemeister, c/f hugger, Famsa 246 tank bag, Evoluzione air filter, Wilber full tilt shock(-1"), Falco forks modified by Lindemann Engineering, Taylormade exhaust, John's rectifier, R&G frame sliders, Scottoiler w/dual injector, Odyssey 545 drycell battery, Stebel Nautilus Compact Dual-Tone airhorn, HID headlamps, , Garmin Zumo GPS, Passport radar detector, Doran tire pressure monitor, Pazzo levers, heated grips.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast