Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fiamm Dual Horn Installation

Pretty sure mine were FIAMMs too...

I definitely bought the FIAMMS too (OEM sized) in dual horn configuration. They just sound terrible, albeit louder than the factory horn. I wonder if they need more juice? Perhaps this is a job for Bob Davis' Mod Party in Indiana that I plan on attending. Any chance you'll be coming down from the coast for that John?

Doug
    "The fact is that sport-touring is about delicious movement, freedom to go slowly and relax or to turn the throttle and run, with just enough of your favorite stuff in the saddlebags."--CW
    nero ash color | colder fuel disconnect | derestricted air intake | blinder laser jammer | throttlemeister | invisiguard paint protection | carbon fiber hugger | ohlins rear shock | ohlins fork re-valve | ohlins steering damper | R&G crash protectors | iridium spark plugs | apex SS lines | corbin backrest for 2-up riding | dark wheels customized | borella rectifier | pivot covers | k&n air filter | HIDx1 | pazzo shorty race levers | gixxer mirrors | Kisan Relay Flashers + Running Lights

Quote Originally Posted by dugkim
    I definitely bought the FIAMMS too (OEM sized) in dual horn configuration. They just sound terrible, albeit louder than the factory horn. I wonder if they need more juice? Perhaps this is a job for Bob Davis' Mod Party in Indiana that I plan on attending. Any chance you'll be coming down from the coast for that John?

Doug
    I didn't care for the sound of the OEM style Fiamms either but it is important to use a heavy guage wire for all the positive feeds & grounds as well as a good quality relay. No plans to head out to Indiana but I'll be at the AMA Vintage Days on my Ducati in July.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

apriliaforum Junkie Gotta Futura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by commandodave
    It looks from your photos that the trumpet end of your horn does not have a clear exit path outside the fairing for the sound waves. I would think that you want the business end of the horn pointed in the direction of travel.
    I thought the same, so I parked the bike next to a car with a known loud pair of two tones walked 75 yards in front and got someone to blow the horn on the car, and the Fiamms and orginal on the bike (remember both are still working on mine).

The car was loudest. But not by much.

The point (at least for me) is that the bike's Fiamms were just sooo much louder and more authoratitive than the original, that even if their position isn't optimal, the improvement in safety makes it no brainer.

apriliaforum Junkie Gotta Futura's Avatar

P.s.

John B's higher voltage rectifier might get you a few extra dbs too!

I want this set

Quote Originally Posted by Befbever
    I use these quite a lot. Though not on my bike.
    Nice horns bef! If it doesn't mess up their hair it's not loud enough!

"Although all men are born free, slavery has been the general lot of the human race. Ignorant - they have been cheated; asleep - they have been surprised; divided - the yoke has been forced upon them. But what is the lesson? ...the people ought to be enlightened, to be awakened, to be united, that after establishing a govenment they should watch over it.... It is universally admitted that a well-instructed people alone can be permanently free."
    --James Madison

I haven't pulled more than the side and lower fairings off so far. What is the easiest way to get access to the stock horn location?

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by AprilIan
    I haven't pulled more than the side and lower fairings off so far. What is the easiest way to get access to the stock horn location?
    While I suspect that this comes much too late; the stock horn lives above the fairing between the radiators. You could probably get at it by removing the four bolts and four hex-head screws that hold the panel in and simply drop it out.

However, unless all you plan on doing is replacing the wimpy stock horn with a similarly wimpy horn, you want to follow the suggestions elsewhere in this thread; the stock horn doesn't seem to use a relay and so any upgrade would be limited by the capacity of the switch. There's also not much space in there for a bigger horn.

Thanks to the suggestions here, I've transplanted the old horns from my M3 into the bike. A marked improvement in attention-getting capability.

= Mike

Recently bought a 2001 Futura. First mod was a new horn.
    Installed a Stebel Nautilus Compact Dual-Tone 12-Volt Air Horn, (139 dB) under the right side dash panel. Used a relay to ensure it gets the juice it needs.
    VERY loud!!!
    Cheers!

http://adventurersworkshop.com/Merch...ebel_Air_Horns

Relay?

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder
    Installed a Stebel Nautilus Compact Dual-Tone 12-Volt Air Horn, (139 dB) under the right side dash panel. Used a relay to ensure it gets the juice it needs.
    VERY loud!!!
    Cheers!

What type of relay did you use? Have a part #?
    "The fact is that sport-touring is about delicious movement, freedom to go slowly and relax or to turn the throttle and run, with just enough of your favorite stuff in the saddlebags."--CW
    nero ash color | colder fuel disconnect | derestricted air intake | blinder laser jammer | throttlemeister | invisiguard paint protection | carbon fiber hugger | ohlins rear shock | ohlins fork re-valve | ohlins steering damper | R&G crash protectors | iridium spark plugs | apex SS lines | corbin backrest for 2-up riding | dark wheels customized | borella rectifier | pivot covers | k&n air filter | HIDx1 | pazzo shorty race levers | gixxer mirrors | Kisan Relay Flashers + Running Lights

Relay Included

dugkim,
    Sorry, I don't have the part number but it comes with a relay.
    Here's description and instructions for installation on a Suzuki V Strom.
    http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2137/
    Cheers!

Thanks

dugkim,
    Sorry, I don't have the part number but it comes with a relay.
    Here's description and instructions for installation on a Suzuki V Strom.
    http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2137/
    Cheers!
    Although, based on the description, I think the guy did not install it correctly. Does the "canister" look vertical and the openings pointing down, to you?

apriliaforum Member PixelPusher's Avatar
    VERY loud!!!
    Cheers!

Can you post any pics of your install? That thing looks interesting.
    Sport Touring - Using a Motorcycle to
    Turn Gasoline Into Adrenalin and Tire Tracks

Quote Originally Posted by dugkim
    What type of relay did you use? Have a part #?
    Go back to the 3rd & 4th post in this thread and you will find lots of info & a pic of the correct style horn relay to use. The problem with these threads is the info & questions just keep repeating themselves because readers don't start at the beginning.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

Hella SuperTones

I mounted my Hella Supertones.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hella right.JPG 
Views:	1049 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	36588  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hella right mounting.JPG 
Views:	1028 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	36589  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hella left.jpg 
Views:	1012 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	36590  

Hella Supertones

They look great...I was pondering these myself.
    How do you like them?
    ďThe roadís what counts...donít worry about where itís goiní."
    - Sam Shepard
    "When I'm riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive."
    -Neil Peart

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast