Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fiamm Dual Horn Installation

Fiamm Dual Horn Installation

I had previously replaced the stock horn with one of the Fiamm low tone OEM style horns available at autopart stores & installed a similar hi tone version in the right corner of the dash. After a few trial blasts on unsuspecting cagers I decided I wasn't really happy with the sound despite the claimed 132db per horn. Last weekend I removed the horns & replaced them with the Fiamms shown below. These are rated at 110db but are louder to my ears & have a much more authoritative honk.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

The following pics show the horns mounted in the fairing as well as the relay hanging from the fairing support on the right. I removed the red plastic covers to gain more clearance & bent the stock brackets included in the kit to conform to the space. The brackets hang off of the outer mirror mount post.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

The camera angle makes it look like the horn outlet is right up against the fairing but there is actually plenty of room. Here's a shot of the relay & horn grounds attached to the frame. I pulled the stock horn wires over behind the fan, taped off the stock ground wire & attached my relay signal wire to the stock positive horn wire. From here you can follow the stock harness up into the fairing. The second pic shows the in line fuse holder that I added to the 12v feed from the battery to the relay. The 20/30A relay Fiamm includes in their kits is crap so I picked up a Potter/Brumsfield 30/40A relay from Napa & used a 30A fuse in the holder similar to the one shown below.
    John B.

The relay is wired with battery power going to #30, relay ground to #85, positive feeds to horns from #87 & original horn positive to #86.
    Last edited by bikpaintr; 03-17-2008 at 02:51 PM.
    John B.

apriliaforum Member
    Great Idea! thanks John, I don't know about loud pipes, but loud horns save lives.
    '02 with lots mods: full race airbox, evo filter, mille intake, H-pipe, staintunes, PCIII, Carbon Hugger,Custom Gloss Black Paint, Custom silver powder coated wheels and other bits, Billet aluminum (well O.K. Home Depot Aluminum Strap) Pivot Covers, Throttlemeister. Looking for full radar and laser stealth technology!

apriliaforum Member Aprilia_RST's Avatar
    Thanks John, posts don't get much more useful than that.
    2003 Tuono, grey, stock (for now)

So am I my Fut' has new horn

http://www.rst1000.info

apriliaforum Junkie Gotta Futura's Avatar

Variation on the theme

Same Fiamm horns (available in UK from Halfords - around 17) mounted in the upper fairing "cheeks" using velcro (Rab takes the credit for that suggestion).

Original horn and circuitry left as it is, in full working order.

Additional switch (99p from Maplins) mounted right in front of the natural position of left thumb (see attachment).

+ive and ground wired back to the battery following the seat release cable

Also used (Fiamm box only contained the pair of horns and the relay):

• 4-5 metres of 21 amp cable
    • 1 metre of 8 amp cable
    • 8 spade connectors
    • one 10 amp fuse + holder
    • 6 electrical screw-together connectors

The mounting of the extra horn switch right in front of the thumb evolved from my distant miss-spent yoof as a london despatch rider, and comes highly recommended. It allows you to show the "sorry mate, I didn't see you" brigade the error of their ways right at the beginning of what idiocy they were embarking on, rather than a few fractions of a second later when a collision becomes inevitable. OK, your hazard perception radar should have you covering the regular horn button anyway, but sometimes that radar goes on the blink, and sometimes events are totally unpredictable.

Case in point: last week, man runs out into road without looking. only he is looking. the wrong way. he's a foreign tourist unaccustomed to our strange habit of driving on the wrong side of the road. a blast on the Fiamms as he leaves the pavement stops him two strides into the road as i go past. i probably would have hit him before i'd got to the regular switch.

Another bonus is as the horns are always live, anyone trying to move the bike always hits the switch, scaring them silly. (it's a good idea to remove the fuse when you take it in for a service!!)

I use these quite a lot. Though not on my bike.
    This Must Be The Place

Can someone tell me how you go about making a thread a Sticky?
    John B.

apriliaforum expert bullit in head's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bikpaintr
    Can someone tell me how you go about making a thread a Sticky?
    pictures of nekid girls always works for me

okay sorry , but I am young so I'm allowed to be immature

bullit
    Pilot Roads 2CT, H-PIPE, BEF's, Touno forks and a Wilbers Rear end, R&G FRame sliders, Rhino barend sliders, RhinoMoto front axle sliders,(thats a hole lota sliding to be done)MILLE BOOT, K&N, HID's LED running light , Heated Grips, Double bubble(now removed) and a whole lot of attitude.and renault coils.

apriliaforum expert commandodave's Avatar
    bikpaintr, et. al,

It looks from your photos that the trumpet end of your horn does not have a clear exit path outside the fairing for the sound waves. I would think that you want the business end of the horn pointed in the direction of travel. Unobscured works best. Every bit helps. I always mount my accessory horns that way.

Your mount is not quite as bad as the horn placement on your old Norton, in the center of the frame, pointed down. The joke on how Norton built the Commando was always to start with the horn, then build the motorcycle around it.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by commandodave
    bikpaintr, et. al,

It looks from your photos that the trumpet end of your horn does not have a clear exit path outside the fairing for the sound waves. I would think that you want the business end of the horn pointed in the direction of travel. Unobscured works best. Every bit helps. I always mount my accessory horns that way.

Dave
    Obviously that would be ideal but I suggest you open up the dash area & take a look at the mounting options. Find a place on the Futura where you can mount two horns pointing out of the fairing & let us all know where it is. As I said above there is more space under the horn outlets then it would appear from the photo & they do put out plenty of noise in that position. I'm well aware what the ideal mounting position would be but I wasn't interested in bolting the horns to the outside of the fairing. Feel free to post your set up as Gotta Futura did, that's why the thread is here.
    John B.

You read my mind!

I also purchased from some motorcycle supply what i thought was going to be my solution to the wimpy factory horn. I went also to a dual horn. But the long and the short of it...it still sucks. Going to have to take a look at your solution here. Would your setup NOT work in the stock location?
    "The fact is that sport-touring is about delicious movement, freedom to go slowly and relax or to turn the throttle and run, with just enough of your favorite stuff in the saddlebags."--CW
    nero ash color | colder fuel disconnect | derestricted air intake | blinder laser jammer | throttlemeister | invisiguard paint protection | carbon fiber hugger | ohlins rear shock | ohlins fork re-valve | ohlins steering damper | R&G crash protectors | iridium spark plugs | apex SS lines | corbin backrest for 2-up riding | dark wheels customized | borella rectifier | pivot covers | k&n air filter | HIDx1 | pazzo shorty race levers | gixxer mirrors | Kisan Relay Flashers + Running Lights

Quote Originally Posted by dugkim
    I also purchased from some motorcycle supply what i thought was going to be my solution to the wimpy factory horn. I went also to a dual horn. But the long and the short of it...it still sucks. Going to have to take a look at your solution here. Would your setup NOT work in the stock location?
    There's not enough room for even one of these in the stock location. When I started last weekend I wanted to mount each horn under the side fairings aiming out over the radiators. After peeling off the fairings it became apparent this wasn't going to happen. Space was very tight & mounting opportunities were few & far between. The fairing is primarily plastic bolted to plastic with few if any metal supports to attach the horns to.

The main thing is to start with a pair of hi/lo tone horns that are loud enough to overcome the mounting compromises of the Futura installation. The next time I have the dash panels off I will experiment with angling the mounting brackets more so that the horn outlet aims closer to the fork tubes if there's room to clear the dash & seat lock mechanism. As it is the horns are as loud as any car horns I've heard so I can't complain about the sound.
    John B.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast