Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad starts are no excuse for the Cube

jng1226

Bad starts are no excuse for the Cube

I love and respect CE2 as much as anyone else, but this theory about bad starts being what's holding the Aprilias back from better finishes is BS.

How many times has Rossi started poorly and come back from 8th or worse to win by a mile?

Face it, the Cube isn't coming along as well as we'd (or Ivano Beggio) hoped.

Ducati has SERIOUSLY given everyone else besides Honda in the paddock a big black eye with how well they've done so quickly. With "old" technology even - tubular frames and Desmo valve trains. I may not be that huge a fan of their streetbikes, but you've got to admit the Desmosedici is the dog's bollocks.

dowzerr

You have a point, but Rossi is in a class of his own out there (just watch the last round at Catalunya) and the rest of the field up to about 12th is very competitive so making your way through it is gonna be difficult. You think YOU could do better? I think Edwards is probably regretting not taking the Bridgestone RCV now after Tamada's good results of late. But you must remember he is riding new tracks on a new bike in the most competitive racing class on Earth. Seems bikes with an odd number of cylinders are always harder to launch.

Ricky J

Improvement Needed

The wheelie-prone nature of Edwards' bike especially is just a part of the overall picture. But even if the bike were capable of race-long competitive times- and at Catalunya it just might have been, ask people who watched CE all weekend long- you simply cannot be giving away places when the lights go out. As for Ducati, they are to be lauded for their victory and so is Aprilia, for being there on Day One of the MotoGP Four-Stroke Era with a daring and unique machine. Their Italian rivals took a more circumspect approach by sitting out the the first year. For some good inside Cube info plunk down a few dollars for July's Roadracing World magazine. And as Colin himself said last night on SpeedTV, "Relax everybody, we WILL be winning races!" Now maybe, just maybe, he knows something the rest of us don't. I'd just like to introduce that possibility.

mrvenjer

Re: Improvement Needed

RickyJ, I'm with you ! It's gonna come good soooooon ......

K.

NitroArgi

Wins are on their way that is for sure!

And as far as the Ducati MotoGP machine is concerned they have it under development for almost 4 years!!!
    Ducati was planning to enter the WSB with a V4 750cc but never got it to produce a fair amount of power...so when rules changed in MotoGP all they had to do is increase the capacity of an already existing engine!

I am not trying to put down Ducati's effort---I am sure that Honda tested the V5 years before it was first appeared---but all I am saying is that the Cube has great potentials and with Edwards (great development rider) and Haga things are only going to get better...

Regards

Nitro

dowzerr

and what about the rumours Honda is testing a V6? Edwards will come good at Assen and Donington I hope, Haga too.

davenet

I finally got to watch the taped race last night. Have been avoiding reading this thread for three LONG days.

On the subject of being wheelie prone, Colon is the ONLY rider visable in the grid that had to start with BOTH feet on the ground. That drag racer style tells me he has no idea what the bike is going to do when he drops the hammer at the start. That sucks, especially when it allows eight more people between you & the front.

BadchildRsv

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Seems bikes with an odd number of cylinders are always harder to launch.

[/quote]

Like the five cylinders Honda engines ? Or is it, probably, that I don't understand what you mean ?

PhM

dowzerr

2 bikes that get the best starts- Ducati and Yamaha. and the worst- Honda and Aprilia. Just watch and learn. I had a Triumph Triple on a track practice about a year ago and it was a pig to launch, as was the Benelli Tre.

jng1226

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>But you must remember he is riding new tracks on a new bike in the most competitive racing class on Earth.[/quote]

Yes, but so is Troy Bayliss. As has been mentioned here before, we know they are equally talented riders, with maybe Colin being more so. So the key variable is the Cube vs. Desmosedici. That is really the point of my post: that the Cube is flatly behind the Desmosedici. No question that Colin is the best man for the job, a determined champion AND proven development rider rolled into one big threat on any grid. Unfortunately, the Cube has a ways to go before it can come good. At least they're not Kawsaki, I would feel like committing Seppuku for making Garry McCoy finish so miserably after being a rising star in previous GP seasons.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>You think YOU could do better?[/quote]
    That's an asinine question. I've actually raced motorcycles before so I can only imagine the level at which these guys perform, so I probably have more respect for them than you do. Besides, I never questioned Colin's abilities as a racer or development rider. I'm simply disappointed that they're not doing better when Ducati has surprised many in facing the same challenge as Aprilia.

dowzerr

Ducati have a ton of money behind them, Aprilia have less. Unsurprising that the two teams that are way behind (Suzuki and Kawasaki) are the two teams without a title sponsor. Now that MotoGP is all 4stroke it will become more similar to F1 technically and that is why the teams with the most cash will be the most competitive ( a la F1) This is why Honda, with a ton of F1 experience and a ton of money and resources is the top dog. Now that Ducati are closer to them you will see them push ahead again. Just like with the NSR they will make it better when they need to, not when they want to. If they are way ahead all the time legislation will drag them back ( a la F1 again)

jng1226

Money makes the world go around

Dowzerr,

I think you're absolutely right. It's a little sad but true that the team with the most money wins.

It would be nice for things to be purely about the sport, but as any sport grows it gets corrupted by money and the sponsor's desire to be No. 1. Too bad it can't be like F1 or motorbike racing in the 60's - enough technology to make it really exciting, but not enough to overshadow driver's/rider's ability.

Even team sports succumb to this. What will happen now to Manchester United now that Real Madrid paid $40 MM for Beckham? :rollin:

dowzerr

Re: Money makes the world go around

Man Utd will be fine without him, the only real loss to them is from a media point of view. They have Paul Scholes who is in my opinion just as good but he doesnt look like a male model so he gets less recognition. I prefer Arsenal in England, but I'm Scottish and I support Glasgow Rangers.

Jim

Money

I dont its at all sad that whoever has the most money wins.
    Money = Better Technology = Better for end consumers

I see how you guys would want skill to be the sole variable in determining a race outcome. If you want to see racing where technological development is stifled, all ya gotta do is check out NASCAR. fun fun.

side note: Why does it seem like there's 3 NASCAR races a day?!

Ricky J

NASCAR

And do all their races start with the announcer yelling "Boogity! Boogity! Boogity!" Jeez...how embarrassing...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast