Thread: Help - re-fitting stock number plate holder!

Help - re-fitting stock number plate holder!

I'm just re-fitting my original stock number plate holder and exhaust system (it's a long story!) and I can't remember how the wiring ran from the number plate light up and under the bike!

If anyone has any pointers please let me know...........

apriliaforum Member
    If you would like to part with your aftermarket exhaust and plate relocator, I would be very interested.
    '02 with lots mods: full race airbox, evo filter, mille intake, H-pipe, staintunes, PCIII, Carbon Hugger,Custom Gloss Black Paint, Custom silver powder coated wheels and other bits, Billet aluminum (well O.K. Home Depot Aluminum Strap) Pivot Covers, Throttlemeister. Looking for full radar and laser stealth technology!

They will be up for sale soon Gary - unfortunately I'm in the Uk so postage will probably be too expensive for you!

Sussed it out - just left the wire to sit for a while & it re-shaped itself to how it would originally have been - gave enough indication to follow the stock wiring run!

apriliaforum expert bullit in head's Avatar
    dont get it wrong as the exhaust melts the outer plastic sheath and blows the light/ dash fuse, takes about 40 mins of riding before it goes though.

live and learn.

buliit
    Pilot Roads 2CT, H-PIPE, BEF's, Touno forks and a Wilbers Rear end, R&G FRame sliders, Rhino barend sliders, RhinoMoto front axle sliders,(thats a hole lota sliding to be done)MILLE BOOT, K&N, HID's LED running light , Heated Grips, Double bubble(now removed) and a whole lot of attitude.and renault coils.

Quote Originally Posted by bullit in head
    dont get it wrong as the exhaust melts the outer plastic sheath and blows the light/ dash fuse, takes about 40 mins of riding before it goes though.

live and learn.

buliit
    Umm - you got me worried now!

I think it's still running too close to the exhuast so maybe I don't ahve it quite right. Is it possible to easily explain how it should run?

apriliaforum expert bullit in head's Avatar
    "Is it possible to easily explain how it should run?"

eermmm nope not really, I really cant remember how it was suppose to go so I guessed it, got it wrong and still havent figured it out., been running without one for about 7 weeks, I will get it sorted, allong with all the other niggley problems I have with the bike at the mo.

Side stand switch, number plate cable,clutch switch all need replacing just have to order them from the aprilia spares department,

bullit
    Pilot Roads 2CT, H-PIPE, BEF's, Touno forks and a Wilbers Rear end, R&G FRame sliders, Rhino barend sliders, RhinoMoto front axle sliders,(thats a hole lota sliding to be done)MILLE BOOT, K&N, HID's LED running light , Heated Grips, Double bubble(now removed) and a whole lot of attitude.and renault coils.

Hope you get all your problems sorted soon - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that any parts you need are in stock!

My bike is stock and hasn't been altered in that area (yet) and looking at my wiring it leaves the light, travels up the right side of the hanger then up the right side of the exhaust can between the can and heat shield. Once over the can it continues vertically between two sections of trim to end up at the rear of the rear light, if that in anyway makes sense?

Hope this helps if not I should be able to provide photos after the weekend.

Molan if you do part company with those cans etc... PM me.
    Last edited by stu; 04-02-2005 at 09:07 AM.

Thanks for this Stu,

I played with various options and seem to ahve settled on exactly the right one!

More by luck than judgement but I principally tried to keep the wring as far as possible away from the exhaust.

I'm definitely selling both the H-Pipe, end cans & plate re-locator.

To be honest, i've had a few offers so may simply bung them on EBay & see what happens!

apriliaforum newb
    Recently I got 2001 Futura. But it does not have number plate light unit. I can add generic plate light. But I am wondering how the wiring go thru. I know both ending points. But there is extremely high heat area. Does original cable have special anti heat cover? I did not find any holder like things for the cable.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    xpd153, welcome to the forum.
    There is a lot of Futura parts on Yahoo Japan.
    Look here https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/404816345
    English is not my native language, so please be kind to my mistakes.

Remember, this is an Italian bike with an Austrian motor, it isn't like the GSXR you use to own...

apriliaforum newb
    Thank you. I got it at Yahoo Japan auction. So I will have genuine wiring and number plate light unit. However, still I don't know how I layout connecting wire between main harness connector and number plate light unit.