Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ohlins shock with titanium spring?

apriliaforum prov-nov

Ohlins shock with titanium spring?

just bought a used Ohlins shock off ebay that has a claimed titanium spring. i don't really care if it is or isn't but my question is this, should the spring be magnetic? When i bugger it with a fingernail it sounds a little different than a steel spring but it's definitely magnetic. tia.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Pure titanium isn't magnetic. However, I'm sure this is a titanium alloy, not pure, so there's a good chance it may be somewhat magnetic, although I doubt it'd be much.

i didn't think Ti was magnetic at all - alloy or not. and there's no way to check the weight unless you take it apart. that might have given you an indication, but the magnetism doesn't make sense to me.
    "Buy land. They've stopped making it"...........Mark Twain

apriliaforum expert ghostrider71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by falco03
    i didn't think Ti was magnetic at all - alloy or not. and there's no way to check the weight unless you take it apart. that might have given you an indication, but the magnetism doesn't make sense to me.
    Our Chief Resident Metalurgist, falco03.
    Sir, can you share with us the major components of titanium on the periodic table of elements???

Oh, you're GONNA pay for that "Rectum Fire" you bitch...!!!!

gr

There are titanium alloys out there that would have enough iron in them to be slightly magnetic. However from his description, the spring sounds like it's QUITE mangnetic, so I have no idea what the deal is.....

Maybe it's the OEM spring with a spray-bomb special. Actually, I've seen Ti springs on Penske shocks before, and they usually only have 2-3 coils in them. Kinda like this one....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

apriliaforum prov-nov
    V'II,

i'm inclined to agree...ebay marketing, probably just a nice powdercoat job. That Penske certainly looks the real deal.

Would they use nickel with titanium in an alloy? That's magnetic.

bastards! you've called my bluff.
    i didn't realize that it could be alloyed with steel, soooo, i didn't think it could be magnetic. but, apparently i can be.
    god! i'm toopid.

There are 3 magnetic elements: iron (Fe), cobalt (Co) and nickel (Ni).

Here is a sample of some Titanium alloy compositions:

*Alloys Ti-5Al-2Sn-2Zr-4Mo-4Cr (commonly called Ti-17) and Ti-6Al-2Sn-4Zr-6Mo for high strength in heavy sections at elevated temperatures.
    *Alloys Ti-6242S, IMI 829, and Ti-6242 (Ti-6Al-2Sn-4Zr-2Mo) for creep resistance
    *Alloys Ti-6Al-2Nb-ITa-Imo and Ti-6Al-4V-ELI are designed both to resist stress corrosion in aqueous salt solutions and for high fracture toughness
    *Alloy Ti-5Al-2,5Sn is designed for weldability, and the ELI grade is used extensively for cryogenic applications
    *Alloys Ti-6Al-6V-2Sn, Ti-6Al-4V and Ti-10V-2Fe-3Al for high strength at low-to-moderate temperatures.

Only the very last one has any iron, about 2%, so I wouldn't think it would feel magnetic at all.

Hey Turn6...scratch'n'sniff, dude

I got a Ti spring for you. Paypal me $50 at 4sukkars@sukkars.net
    Where da booty at?

there's no way to tell if the guy misrepresented it or if he just didn't know.

I was dead serious about scratch and sniff.

Either that or do the old Eureka trick. Take the spring off and dunk it in a graduated container to get the volume. Then weigh the spring and see if it's made of gold or what not

Specific gravity of Ti is 4.5 in "BLING spring" form

Pretty obvious if it's steel or Ti. Ti should weigh 4.5 grams per cubic centimeter.
    Where da booty at?

I would at least check it out with Ohlins. That way you can ask for some of your money back or give the seller the proper feedback on Ebay.

Ohlins has nothing to do with Ti springs. That spring does look a little phat for a regular Ohlins spring...it might be Ti.
    Where da booty at?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    OK here's the deal...i knew going in the spring was probably not Ti so i bid accordingly. The sellers feedback was xlnt so i took a chance. i called Suncoast (Aaron) he said the same thing VII posted a pic of and that Ti springs have like half the coils of a steel spring and that they're probably not a good idea for the street anyway so...

Ps. Carlos i think it's an illusion, shadowing in the pic making the spring look fatter.
    Last edited by turn6; 02-17-2005 at 03:55 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast