Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: warped rotors

warped rotors

My front rotors are warped, contacted Reno's Yamaha-Aprilia in Kansas City, they contacted Aprilia and Aprilia says "its a wear item and not covered by warranty". Anyone else have this experience?
    They warped at about 8000 miles. That seems like short life for a set of rotors.
    What the hell good is the warranty.
    upload gambar
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 1000
    2002 Aprilia Futura - sold
    2014 Kawasaki 750 Brute Force

apriliaforum newb
    Similar problem with my Caponords front rotors. They were found to be warped at the 9500 mile service when the bike was only 13 months old. warranty replacement was rejected on the grounds of excessive mileage - let's face it; they're both sold as tourers.

I chased Aprilia UKs Customer Services Manager and he sorted out replacements for me. Seems to be that Aprilia reject every warranty involving warped rotors as a matter of course and site 'track use' as a reason.

By the way, I'm still waiting for them to be fitted - diagnosed in September.

apriliaforum prov-nov

Angry Warped Rotors

I have the same problem on my Futura (2002,bought 2nd hand, last May). It is quite slight and not noticable at legal speeds, but when I brake from higher speeds, the bike shudders until it gets down to 120 km/h (75 mph) or so. I really hate it but the bike was out of warranty when I bought it, and even if it were under warranty, I doubt the circus that passes for a distributor here would honor it. Is there an aftermarket replacement anyone can recommend?

apriliaforum expert commandodave's Avatar
    I somewhat agree with Aprilia's stance on this. If you have some hot rotors and splash through a puddle of water, your rotors will warp. My Ford Taurus SHO eats rotors, and they are much more substantial than the Futura's. I have had to have the rotors skimmed with less than 1000 miles on them. And I buy the "good" Bendix rotors, not the cheapo. Your individual driving or riding style has some influence on this. I don't need a pedal or twist grip. Just a switch that says IDLE and GO.

Dave

Rotor shudder has come up before, so do a search.

At any rate, be sure it is the rotor and not just the mounting buttons being 'hung up'. I had that happen once and a careful cleaning cured it.

AF1 used to offer rotors for sale for the Fut, but they are not listed any longer. ??

Make sure that what you are feeling is really a warped rotor. Several guys have found that the floating buttons/rivets get corroded & will bind causing a warped rotor feel. Spinning the buttons so that they are free to move has worked in some cases.

As to replacement rotors there are several options available. Email me for more info.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

What John said....
    Last edited by rblue02; 01-13-2005 at 09:27 AM.

Wellingborough Northants and Weymouth Dorset

Rotors

What are they, have i got any and should I be worried?

Mine warped at (around) 4500 miles, at just over 1 year old, so I claimed under the warranty.

The first answer was "They're a wear item".

To which I asked "what, in 4000 miles ?, and they're not worn out, just warped"

They did the work under warranty.

Stick on at 'em, I don't know how the law stands in the US, but in the UK I was going to start shouting about "not fit for purpose" if they hadn't come to my way of thinking.
    Blue '03, 05 map, Forks dropped 7.5mm, DataTool System3, DataTag, Scottoiler, NWS CF Hugger, Design Cycle Inc Frame sliders, Powerlet socket, G-nu-ine Aprilia Panniers, Hepco & Becker rack, Givi Micro2 Topbox, Metzeler Roadtech Z6 tyres, Shiney lions head graffix, Aprilia Tank Bag, iPAQ2210/TomTom3 GPS, BIG locks chains ground-anchor and guard dog.

I've had my Falco rotors replaced twice under warranty. No problem.
    The rest is 'what John said'.
    This Must Be The Place

apriliaforum expert
    I have had a judder 2 or 3 times now.
    the Rotors ( otherwise known as brake disks) get a good service which cured it every time.

Off with the disks and clean the "buttons" that link the disk to the carrier. These are meant to spin free, make sure they do.

Hot soapy water, and I use washing powder as it lifts the oil and grease so well, and scrub the disks with a stiff brush. then use wet and dry abrasive paper (the kind for preparing paintwork) and rub round the disk again using the hot soapy water on the wet and dry.

Then using a drill bit, by hand-not in a drill, just smaller than the cleaning holes in the disk I slide the drill back and forward through the holes to clean the crap out. An old chuck is ideal for a handle on the drill bit.
    then, a last scrub down with the soapy water.......... and what you have is?

A pail of very oily muddy water

worked every time and takes about 2 - 3 hours.

Rab

OH!! and don't forget, the pads are covered in it too

Get the pads on a very coarse bit of sand paper laid on a workbench and resurface the pads ............
    Last edited by bossbob; 01-13-2005 at 12:43 PM.

Off with the disks and clean the "buttons" that link the disk to the carrier. These are meant to spin free, make sure they do.

Hot soapy water, and I use washing powder as it lifts the oil and grease so well, and scrub the disks with a stiff brush. then use wet and dry abrasive paper (the kind for preparing paintwork) and rub round the disk again using the hot soapy water on the wet and dry.

Then using a drill bit, by hand-not in a drill, just smaller than the cleaning holes in the disk I slide the drill back and forward through the holes to clean the crap out. An old chuck is ideal for a handle on the drill bit.

I find replacing them under warranty is a lot less effort!

;
    This Must Be The Place

Quote Originally Posted by bossbob
    I have had a judder 2 or 3 times now.
    the Rotors ( otherwise known as brake disks) get a good service which cured it every time.

A pail of very oily muddy water

worked every time and takes about 2 - 3 hours.

Rab

OH!! and don't forget, the pads are covered in it too

Get the pads on a very coarse bit of sand paper laid on a workbench and resurface the pads ............
    Thanks for the tip. I'll try that when the weather warm up to where I feel like working on it. In the mean time I'll e-mail Aprilia and see if I can get any results from them.
    upload gambar
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 1000
    2002 Aprilia Futura - sold
    2014 Kawasaki 750 Brute Force

apriliaforum prov-nov

Thanks!

Thanks everyone! I'll check it right away...

Quote Originally Posted by Befbever
    I find replacing them under warranty is a lot less effort!

If Aprilia can't figure this out for themselves I don't see why I should make their life any easier.

Of course, once the bike's out of warranty, that's a different matter...

Blue '03, 05 map, Forks dropped 7.5mm, DataTool System3, DataTag, Scottoiler, NWS CF Hugger, Design Cycle Inc Frame sliders, Powerlet socket, G-nu-ine Aprilia Panniers, Hepco & Becker rack, Givi Micro2 Topbox, Metzeler Roadtech Z6 tyres, Shiney lions head graffix, Aprilia Tank Bag, iPAQ2210/TomTom3 GPS, BIG locks chains ground-anchor and guard dog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast