Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: EFI problems - error codes (FULL list)

Quote Originally Posted by deefred View Post
    It has turned out more than once that even coils which pass the resistance check can be faulty. With engine running disconnect the low tension lead from the coil and check that the engine does not start to run on one cylinder only. Do this for all coils.

It can also be that you have a problem somewhere in the wiring from the ECU to the ignition coil connector which the ECU senses.
    That would explain that the code does not change despite swapping coils.
    Thanks a lot Deefred,
    It looks like its a wiring fault with LT cable ..gonna pull it apart at the weekend and investigate further

Quote Originally Posted by Jroolz View Post
    Thanks a lot Deefred,
    It looks like its a wiring fault with LT cable ..gonna pull it apart at the weekend and investigate further
    FYI, you have to start the engine and let it run for 10 seconds or so to let the ECU detect the new condition each time you change something.

If you haven´t done this it will explain the same code all the time even if you have swapped the coils.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC 320mm brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch.
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

apriliaforum newb
    hi peeps I keep getting code 44 on caponord any ideas

Today I saw code 11 on my Futura? Any ideas what that is?

Think you'll find it's electrical. I got that error code when I had my problems in the wiring loom.
    11.13,14,17,19 they were the codes I was getting and it was all the wiring loom corroded away. HTH
    Mark

Honi soit qui mal y pense

apriliaforum newb
    EFI faults? what is fault number 1?

Quote Originally Posted by homeboy View Post
    EFI faults? what is fault number 1?
    As far as I know, it means all is good!
    Twinz - John
    Montpelier, VT

New old man wheels: 2002 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet

Gone but not forgotten:
    '04 RST 1000 Futura
    '94 R1100RS
    '84 R100CS
    '76 R75/6 w/S fairing
    '80 Guzzi V50 II
    '73 Guzzi V7 Sport

http://www.apriliafutura.co.uk/atoz/efierror.shtml

* 12 - crankshaft (pick-up) position sensor malfunction;
    * 15 - throttle position sensor (TPS) malfunction;
    * 18 - california only;
    * 21 - engine temperature malfunction;
    * 22 - air temperature malfunction;
    * 23 - barometric pressure sensor malfunction;
    * 33 - coil 1 malfunction;
    * 34 - coil 2 malfunction;
    * 35 - coil 3 malfunction;
    * 36 - coil 4 malfunction;
    * 41 - overturn sensor signal malfunction;
    * 42 - injector 1 malfunction;
    * 43 - injector 2 malfunction

A code reading 1 or -1 means the bike has not detected any of the above errors and activating the kill switch will also set off the EFI light, causing mild panic until the rider realizes what's happened - it's easy to do accidentally.

apriliaforum newb

EFI Trouble When Hot

My last two rides have ended about 40 minutes in on backroads at a spriited pace. Both times the EFI light would flash and power would cut out completely. It would cough and sputter like it is running out of fuel. I pull over and it will die. I can get it fired after letting it sit for a few minutes and limp home. I have almost 19k on the clock and this is my first FI problem.

Any ideas?

What EFI codes are you getting? Have you looked into the wiring loom at all? Is your sidestand switch in good state of repair?
    Mark

apriliaforum newb
    No codes display when I connect the diagnostic wires. I get code 1, but no error codes. I have given the wiring harness a visual look over and nothing seems frayed or broken. I checked the relay on the left hand side and they were not wearing through on the edge of the oil tank. I ran the bike in the dark garage with the tank propped up to see if I could see any arcing, but nothing noted visually - but the stumbling problem was not occuring.

Have you checked the tank vent? Could it be part blocked, which would account for it happening after a thrash, but allow it to start and limp home?

You can run the bike with the diagnostic wires connected.
    If you get a fault which the ECU detects it will show the codes.
    The EFI light will not flash however as long as diagnostic connected.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC 320mm brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch.
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

Quote Originally Posted by sidman89 View Post
    No codes display when I connect the diagnostic wires. I get code 1, but no error codes. I have given the wiring harness a visual look over and nothing seems frayed or broken. I checked the relay on the left hand side and they were not wearing through on the edge of the oil tank. I ran the bike in the dark garage with the tank propped up to see if I could see any arcing, but nothing noted visually - but the stumbling problem was not occuring.
    You say you've given the wiring harness a visual look over. Have you actually cut into the outer protective sleeve and pulled the wires out and checked the numerous soldered or crimped joints that are hidden away in there?

I've had two Futura's and both had problems in there. My first bike it was corroded so much the main earth wire was in two peices. This bike I checked last week and the corrosion was just starting so we caught it just in time, but you have to open the wiring loom right up to check it. It really is worth diving in for a look.
    Mark

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks, I will have to cut it open. On Saturday I decided to give the pinched fuel vent a try, so I propped the tank up, connected the diagnostic wires so I could see if a code popped, plug the vents and fired it up. Was running fine for a couple of minutes. I was just poking around on the wiring loom on the right hand side and got a big sprak, so clearly there is a short in there. I shut it down, removed the box and cleaned and inspected everything not covered by the protective sheath on the loom. There are no exposed wires that could have shorted that I could find. I checked the two main fuses in the tail section and theya re fine. Won't start now. When I turn it on, it will hum for less than a second. Dash lights up like it will go, but it will just crank and crank with no fire. When I shut the key off, it will hum for a two or so seconds. I appreciate the lead to cut open that cvoering. I am so frustrated by this and the last thing I want to do is put it in the back of a truck and haul it off to the dealer for something like this.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast