Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How many "G's" do you pull?

Wow, I never realized it, but they look damn similar except for the single/dual engine layout.
    NFO's do it in the back seat!

dohhhh... why do i feel like homer simpson reading this thread????

dunno about the G's i pull.... but then again, for mere mortals like us who don't fly jets, it's basically more important how many....

G...irls we can pull.....

and even that is easier in a pilot uniform you lucky b*stards....

:
    Ride.In.Peace Jens, my dear friend!

WWW.QMS.BE !!!!!

07 rsv factory/project mayhem1... I4's for breakfast...
    07 sxv550/project mayhem2... hypermotards for dinner..... we'll skip lunch....

it's all extremely funny.....untill somebody gets hurt.....then it gets hilarious!!!!!!
    i've met the 'man in the street'..... and he's a w*nker!

if i do navy jag and get lasik, will they let me hop into one of those?

i'm going to bug my friend (more) that works at lockheed, in any case.

EDIT: thanks for the pictures.

Why the single engine on the F-35? I thought 2 engines was the min for safety reasons... Always wondered the same thing about the F-16 but figured that one was just a mistake and there wouldn't be anymore...

The single engine (as I've heard it in rumor) was necessary to accomodate the VSTOL model. They couldn't make one with two engines and be able to lift off vertically. Believe me, a lot of Hornet pilots say they'll never get in one and fly off a carrier. The last single engine Navy jet was the A-7.
    The only requirement most Squadrons have as far as going for a ride is a current Aviation Medical Up-Chit. It's the Flight Surgeons O.K. that you can physically handle the ride. However, it is very, very, very, very rare and a special occasion, and the Admiral has to OK it, and jump through a few more hoops... that anybody without wings goes for a ride in a jet. I've seen a few, but usually they're VIP's or maybe the squadron Intel officer. But as for the F-35 and F-22, they're only single seaters.

apriliaforum newb
    Originally posted by AV8OR
    Many of my buddies are 16 drivers and they say they can defeat an eagle pretty easily.....Im sure they are biased since they fly the jet, but my good friend who has 300hrs in the 16 said he easily defeated a 1000hr eagle driver.....but thats his account not something I have seen for myself ....
    Thats understandable under certain circumstances such in being inside of visual range and under 25,000ft. The lawndarts pretty much ride herd on everything out there. They are quite the nimble turning machines and capable in their own right. Especially the block 52's or any of the block 30's with the newer GE110F119's, the vipers got some power. Get beyond visual range or in the 25k+ ceiling and the name of the game changes dramatically with all scales tipping the balance dramatically in favor of the Eagle. Also with any external weapon stores or fuel tanks the 16's manuverability is greatly reduced to the point its almost a straight line aircraft. Thats not the case with the 15's which can take off with a full armament and two bags (tanks) and climb vertically during a rapid response Zulu alert scramble.
    War? What is it good for?

apriliaforum Member
    As far as the Viper vs Eagle thing. It depends on the Viper and the Eagle (type, motor, configuration, etc). It also depends a lot on the pilot. There are plenty of guys with 1000 hours in any jet that aren't worth jack $h!t. A Viper has a better rate, the Eagle can fly slow better. If you are a smart Viper driver, you make an Eagle go 2 circle (rate fight) -- if you are a smart Eagle driver, you go 1 circle with a Viper and it's over pretty fast. Not saying either way is a guarantee win, but the Viper is by design a rate fighter, the Eagle is much better at high AOA and slow speed fighting.

We need the 22 because there are people out there that have SU-33's and Super Flankers, etc, etc. People buying meteor missles, Israel with the Python 5 (lock on after launch heater! We need the 22 as a deterrent as much as anything else. They might not deploy the 22 forward, but their missions won't be as long. That's why supercruise is so important. That thing can cruise WELL above mach one while using less gas than an Eagle at say .85 (oh, btw they do deploy B-2's now...)

The 22 is designed to replace the Eagle. (C model) The JSF will replace the 16, 15E, Tom-grape and Hornet. As far as wanting to fly the E model. Choose your words wisely... no offense to the back seaters on here, but that's something to think about. Flying a jet by yourself and flying a jet with someone in the back seat EVERY TIME is a WHOLE different world. But, I don't know anyone who flies jets and doesn't like what they do. I just think some people are suited more for one seat than two.

apriliaforum Member
    Originally posted by JeffC
    Why the single engine on the F-35? I thought 2 engines was the min for safety reasons... Always wondered the same thing about the F-16 but figured that one was just a mistake and there wouldn't be anymore...
    Bottom liine, it's the same story of the 15 and 16. Eagles were so expensive, they cut costs & the 16 was designed as a "throw away fighter" -- single engine is cheaper.

You won't catch me in a single engine jet! I've had too many problems (same engines in Eagles and Vipers) with jet engines -- some mx issues, but more likely lighting, birds, hail, you name it. There's been a few times I've come home with one engine shutdown. If I'd been in a porker, I'd be taking the slow silk letdown....

As a crewman I experienced 3 single engine failures in my avatar within a 6 month period - two at altitude (at sea) and once in a hover over the deck of a cruiser. You can't hover with one engine so you get one shot to hit the deck in a slow descent. Fortunatly for me I had some outstanding pilots and fairly calm seas. I'm not sure what's better in a single engine aircraft, the ability to autorotate or an ejection seat...

apriliaforum Member
    Originally posted by JeffC
    I'm not sure what's better in a single engine aircraft, the ability to autorotate or an ejection seat...
    I vote ejection seat!

Originally posted by EvilEagle
    I've had too many problems (same engines in Eagles and Vipers) with jet engines
    YAY!! Crap & Shitney 229's for everyone!!! Just kidding. have they received the GE's yet? Do they still have the FMC ratio sign for the 229 Mudhens out on the taxi way leading to the hangers? I got a kick out of that when I was there for Advanced Aero Repairo (AR Shop) class. I still liked the old 100's myself, yes I know the throttle response wasn't the same as the DEEC'd 220's but the EEC's and CINC's were so much easier and reliable ok fine I just like the old shit better.....
    “The vulcan neck pinch is not half as powerful as the vulcan groin kick, but it's more politically correct”
    ~ spock

Originally posted by EvilEagle
    I vote ejection seat!
    Ejection seat!!! You pointy nose guys have all the fun!
    The parachutes in my plane are rated for 185lbs MAX. At 240lbs+, I'll live through it, but my legs and back are going to be broken. Lets hope we all never have to find out.

Infallible, I thought I knew a little bit about motors, but I can't make heads or tails of what you just said... except I like the old shit too!

Grumman to the rescue!!!

Hawkeye Baby!!! This is how we do it!!!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hahahahahha!! That's killer

(Can you do that to my H-2?)

This is the only contribution on the subject of flight that I could think to add to this thread:

GUARD #1: You're using coconuts!
    ARTHUR: What?
    GUARD #1: You've got two empty halves of coconut and you're
    bangin' 'em together.
    ARTHUR: So? We have ridden since the snows of winter covered
    this land, through the kingdom of Mercea, through--
    GUARD #1: Where'd you get the coconut?
    ARTHUR: We found them.
    GUARD #1: Found them? In Mercea? The coconut's tropical!
    ARTHUR: What do you mean?
    GUARD #1: Well, this is a temperate zone.
    ARTHUR: The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house
    martin or the plumber may seek warmer climes in winter yet these
    are not strangers to our land.
    GUARD #1: Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
    ARTHUR: Not at all, they could be carried.
    GUARD #1: What -- a swallow carrying a coconut?
    ARTHUR: It could grip it by the husk!
    GUARD #1: It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a
    simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not
    carry a 1 pound coconut.
    ARTHUR: Well, it doesn't matter. Will you go and tell your
    master that Arthur from the Court of Camelot is here.
    GUARD #1: Listen, in order to maintain air-speed velocity, a
    swallow needs to beat its wings 43 times every second, right?
    ARTHUR: Please!
    GUARD #1: Am I right?
    ARTHUR: I'm not interested!
    GUARD #2: It could be carried by an African swallow!
    GUARD #1: Oh, yeah, an African swallow maybe, but not a European
    swallow, that's my point.
    GUARD #2: Oh, yeah, I agree with that...
    ARTHUR: Will you ask your master if he wants to join my court
    at Camelot?!
    GUARD #1: But then of course African swallows are not migratory.
    GUARD #2: Oh, yeah...
    GUARD #1: So they couldn't bring a coconut back anyway...
    [clop clop]
    GUARD #2: Wait a minute -- supposing two swallows carried it
    together?
    GUARD #1: No, they'd have to have it on a line.
    GUARD #2: Well, simple! They'd just use a strand of creeper!
    GUARD #1: What, held under the dorsal guiding feathers?
    GUARD #2: Well, why not?
    --

'03 Caponord

---
    My pictures
    The Mrs' pictures

---
    Arguing politics or religion in a motorcycle forum is like trying to teach a pig to sing: You make yourself look foolish and it annoys the pig.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast