Thread: flashing efi light

apriliaforum Member

flashing efi light

the EFI light on bike is flashing on for a short period of time (5-10 seconds) the bike losses power, it then goes off and the bike is fine again, it has happened 3 times now, usually after a nice long 2 mile bumpy fast road i go down, i have checked the wires (with my very limited technical ability) and all other bits and bobs, carnt see anything out of place, however ive got it booked into the dealers, can you lot tell me what the possible problems are as the dealer could tell me anything and id be none the wiser (hate being ripped off) thanks .. neil

apriliaforum expert
    ear we go ......... pick from the following

ask the diagnostics, tho I think it only shows the fault code whilst the fault is on. (dunno)

Anything in the ign circuit - Spark plug/ Plug lead / coil wiring on any of the 4 plugs is favourite

side stand switch could be faulty, carry a scotchlock to bridge it with should it fail. This fault however cuts the bike out rather than losing power.

Losing power but continuing to run is probably dropping to 3 plugs working. Why is another matter.

I had something similar but mine stuck on and would not start. When I'd turn the bike on the EFI light was flashing. I eventually found that after taking my kill switch apart and putting it back together all has been fine ever since. I saw no indications of anything, but no doubt it was the culprit. Something else to consider.

Check fettuccini adapter (brown connector on left side of motor just below oil fill) for heat damage and battery terminals for "snugness."

Will
    "It ain't eazy bein' cheesy!"

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    Connect the two test wires together and read the error code on the clock display.
    That should narrow it down for you.
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

apriliaforum expert bullit in head's Avatar
    had a similar problem myself a couple of months ago , took two months to sort by the dealer, (intermitant type fault)( and I wouldnt take it back till it was fixed)
    turned out to be the fuel pump or fuel pump relay( dont know which they replaced both) and its been fine ever since

bullit

I had a similar problem twice this year.

The first time it was the engine temp sensor: THREAD

The second time was fixed with a new battery and the replacment of the brown connector to the regulator (must have been a voltage problem): THREAD

I was not able to get a valid code from the diagnostics either time.

Robert

01' Flame Red RST: De-restricted, K&N air filter, 05 map, upgraded rectifier, metal QD, BEF semi-full system & plate relocator, BrakeTech Axis Cobra front rotors, shortened stock windscreen, Competition Werkes RC51 GP footpegs, Pirelli Angel ST's

2009 Apple Red K1300GT

apriliaforum Member

flashing efi

never use the kill switch ever, plugged in the two wires read efi 1, i have seen this before, go on tell me what this means before the dealer charges me too find out, also does the futura store fault codes, my 2 mechanics were having an aeguement about it, one said yes the other said no... any help out there... thanks in advance... neil

storing fault codes

It would appear pretty lame to me if the ECU didn't store fault codes. The ECU on my Guzzi does and that ECU is of the type "early generation".

I always use the killswitch btw, didn't harm any bike I've had including the Fut. Just an old habit...
    Rob - '01 Rosso Flame

"Riders Create More Problems Than Motorcycles Are Designed To Handle" - Keith Code

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    I always park the bike in gear to prevent it from rolling off the sidestand.
    Most of the time I use the sidestand as the switch and then turn off the key.
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

I had a similar problem when I first had my Fut. It turned out to be an intermittent fault on the fuel relay, just needed a tap (fawcet for the US followers) he,he,he.... Changed the relay and evreythingwas fine.
    Brian

[ZZR1400 190bhp, Baglux tank cover, 14.4v charging,ABS,TomTom GPS, double bubble, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips, permanant grin, fluffy dice ]