Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chain kit for my RSVR?

apriliaforum newb

Chain kit for my RSVR?

So I did my research on the forums best I can and I understand that the most used mod is dropping to 15 on the front. Iím still at the factory 16 and 40 and live at high altitude so the bike has no ďgutsĒ. I once took it to California and it almost kicked me off under acceleration! I want that power here in Utah but the only kits o can find are either 520 chain (I donít race it and Iím going for durability) or 525 with 16 front and 42 back. Is that a big difference from 15:40 or about the same?

Gearing Commander is your friend,>https://www.gearingcommander.com
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Depends on your other mods, I run 15/42 with a 520 chain and feather through 1st to keep the front tire on the ground, second will float if I wrap the throttle and with a passenger itíll stand up in second like first does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apriliaforum newb
    @plocky - that's a handy little tool, thanks!!

@Friday24 - yeah from what I understand 15/42 is bit of an overkill although with the altitude here and the power loss it might be way to go. I don't want to get the 520 chain because I'm paranoid it'll break. Although there's probably about 20 other things on my bike that might break before that lol.

Last time I had the bike on Dyno here in Salt Lake it came up with 121 HP on rear wheel and 70ft/lbs of torque which isn't that bad, but I can't do a power wheelie no matter how hard I try (I'm also 6'7" and 230 lb). I got a PCV with autotune that I need to install but I feel like I'll get more bang for my buck with a new chain kit. I intend to ride around town with it. I don't trust it with a long trips anymore after I just replaced stator and it still dies on me now and then at low speeds.

Where do you get your chain kits? AF1? Ebay? Amazon? Local shop?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Sprockets I got from AF1, last couple chains I got on amazon because they were cheaper. Iíve ran DID Gold X-ring chains on all my bikes for years...never had one break. I think youíll be fine as long as you keep it lubed and adjusted properly.

apriliaforum newb
    Yeah I'm new at this whole chain talk and so far I know just enough that I know I can mess it up lol.

I'm looking into buying this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/APRILIA-RSV...d9e6%7Ciid%3A1

I just don't want to buy sprockets separately and then buy wrong chain that doesn't fit or it's too short. Any preference on master link or it doesn't matter?

+1 on the DID x-ring chains. (I do like the gold one that I just fitted to my RSV4 & it was only ~$40 extra).
    Can't say I've used a JT chain, however they do make excellent quality sprockets, which I have on both bikes here.

Chains usually come a little longer than you need, so you need to break the excess links off; Unless the kit you buy is specified to an exact number of links.

I prefer a rivet master link, however a properly fitted clip link is good too. In both cases a good quality chain tool is the go.
    It will break the links, press the master link plate on for clip or rivet & flare rivet links.

There are plenty of youtubes out there on fitting chains & reviews of chain link tools.

I have this one & it is excellent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwQP73MXMdY

The DID & MotionPro tools are also excellent.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u48Zpb0JfwI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mf6qRY0Syo

Make sure the master link is properly lubricated when assembling, my DID came with a little pouch of lube for this, the RK that I fitted to my wifes Duc did not, had use my own lube. No big deal.
    When you're finished installing & setting chain adjustment, then clean off all the excess lube the chain came coated in, or it will just end up all over your back wheel & inside your front sprocket cover.

AF1 have good priced quality chains & tools.
    Just go to AF1 & search chain tool.

https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodList.asp
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I prefer rivet over clip-on masters. Iíve ran clip-one before with no problems, but I have seen a few guys lose the clips...could have been the install though, itís very easy to install it incorrectly if you donít pay attention.

If your chain and rear are still serviceable it seems like the easiest and cheapest thing to do is just try a 15 tooth sprocket.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU - remember Sandra Bland

From experience a 15 front will cause faster wear on the swingarm rubber chain followers

That's true but it is the easiest way to try shorter gearing. I use nothing but a 17 on my 01.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU - remember Sandra Bland

16/44 Supersprox
    Janky

apriliaforum Member Skipbarberman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TeddyG View Post
    From experience a 15 front will cause faster wear on the swingarm rubber chain followers
    Just went thru this. Teddy is correct - wears them out prematurely, and they are no longer available.....anywhere...I tried. Here's what I did ....

SUPERLITE (#35802R) RS7 Series 525 Pitch Steel Rear Sprocket - APRILIASELECT TOOTH SIZE44 Tooth SL35802R-44 1 $54.00
    SUPERLITE (#61600) 525 Pitch Chromoly-Steel Front Sprocket - APRILIASELECT TOOTH SIZE16 Tooth SL61600R-16 1 $32.00
    EK Chain 525 MVXZ-2 Quadra-X Ring Chain - (choose color /choose length)SELECT CHAIN COLORBLACK (Black outer/Silver inner) - $9.00SELECT CHAIN LENGTH120 Links

Quote Originally Posted by Skipbarberman View Post
    ...and they are no longer available.....anywhere...I tried....
    Five in stock

Thumbs up ?

Go on eBay, search "Aprilia RSVR chain and sprocket kit "
    I got a kit, DID chain with AFAM sprockets and a riveting tool for $142 out of England shipped, for my MV
    That's about dealer here for just the chain
    Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
    I'm not PC either

email/PayPal theknurl@yahoo.com
    Skype theknurl
    ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast