Thread: having issues adjusting chain please help

apriliaforum Member chefdanny69's Avatar

having issues adjusting chain please help

hello i am untightened the pinch bolts and i am having a hard time adjusting!, i insert the tool do i puul down towards the ground or to i pull up, it seems the tooth on the tool is not grabbing the wheel? its frustarating any help would be great

They can get stubborn if unmoved for a while.
    One direction loosens. The other tightens.
    Some penetrating lube may help.
    Also, using a blunt rod to direct a tapping force may get movement started.
    '02 Futura, Blue
    100,000 miles !

it seems that the tool cant grab onto the toothed ring, i tried and it wont grip?

yep, there's a lot of surface area for the eccentric hub to rub inside that eggshell at the back of the swinger. There's also another spot that can bind and that's where the caliper pivots. The caliper must be able to move with the disk. There's a slot in the front that goes over top of a pin that can rotate. All that stuff must also be able to move.

Lube it a let it soak. You can try gently heating with a heat gun if it's really stuck.

When it's time to retighten those pinch bolts - tighten them in stages, alternating back and forth. Do not torque one fully and then go to the other. We've seen broken swing arms doing this.

i plan on soaking it and giving myself more time for this, i am doing better with this bike, i just did the oil change and the oil filter drain bolt wouldnt loosen so i left it, seems the level is good! i plan on doing allot more so you will se my posts! i did buy a new bike a 18 c14, but i decided to keep the futura, i have all the parts i need, i just need to put them all on!

as with the adjuter tool, it hard to get it to even grip the toothed hub adjuster, would be easier if i took off the rear wheel?

Getting the wheel out of the way will help. With the wheel out, you'll also have better access to putting some penetrant into that side of the eggshell. You can also remove the cush hub nut and slide that whole assembly outward a bit before the chain will stop it. Even when it's a relatively easy adjustment, the sprocket bolts can get in the way.

There's a huge snap ring that secures that eccentric from moving sideways to the left. There's a mm or 2 of play sideways when it's all together, so you can also try tapping laterally on the eccentric (not the swinger). Seeing that snap ring and how close it is to the eggshell edge will allow you to tell which way to tap 1st.

If the tool's edges have rounded over, take a file to it and square it up. If the ring's edges have been rounded, well, there's not much you can do about that beyond using a drift and making it worse in places.

Clean & reclean before with WD40 & air blow, the gravels, sand & dust accumulates in the slot (red arrow) and jams and scratches the crenellated drum, then respect the tightening torque of the two bolts otherwise they break the swing arm. This slot is a "dust collector" as it is open on the upper side
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tension chaine.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	388075  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9282.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	388076