Thread: speedsenor question

apriliaforum newb

speedsenor question

Hi and Hello im new here. Own caponord for few months great bike!

I got speedsenor brand new, and now shows me speed wrong, like adding +10km/h if speed higher, its adding more

What can be the problem?, counting mileage as should, i can see dashboard its from USA as temp are in F not C.

Any suggestion ?

Thank You

apriliaforum expert
    Few motorcycle speedometers are accurate and many are off by 5-10% with the error increasing as speed goes up.

Was it more accurate before or do you just notice this as you fixed an unworking item that came to you broken?
    ETV stands for Extra-Terrestrial Vehicle. The only thing better than having one is having two.

apriliaforum Member FuturaWales's Avatar
    It may have had the speedo backing plate replaced with a MPH one, but still be a KPH clock. In which case it will not have been calibrated. I've seen a few like this.

Use your phone GPS to measure speed accurately and then compare.
    Also check under the seat to see the import sticker, see where the bike was originally from. It may be an import.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    2003 Caponord ETV 1000 Rally Raid
    Formerly owner of a specced out Futura....sorely missed.

Did you use a genuine speedo sensor? I recall that an aftermarket one tried on a caponord was too sensitive and read the dips on the rear disc bolts as more than one signal which gave issues.

On that point are your rear disc bolts standard or aftermarket as this can also give problems with the speedo reading.

Pugwash
    Remember, you cannot outrun a motorola!

2003 Caponord
    2007 FJR1300AS
    2010 KLX250

apriliaforum expert the_toe_cutter's Avatar
    Wasn't it a case that futura clocks under read too? Pick up from in and around king bearing or sommein....
    All this kinda info used to be at the forefront of my mind but I've used all my ram up!

Oh yah and check there aint a stainless bolt or two holding on the rear disc Pawel. Sensor reads the pulses from ferrous bolts and stainless are too faint a pulse.
    Brum Brum

As TC says if it’s a future dash it will read wrong you can tell by the red line on the rev counter it’s set higher on a futura plus the temps can be changed between f/ c

apriliaforum newb
    Hi

Well im not sure, clock must be from USA, Bike its from Itlay as was bought brand new in Ireland. Its count milage well, i was in mechanic today, he told me, dont bother, use your gps as a speedmeter

Out of interest what is the red line on the clocks rpm guage Pawel?
    Brum Brum

Sounds like its working as it should. Odometer working and counting correctly and accurately is good. 10kmh is 10% at 60mph so within the realms of reality. Celsius/Fahrenheit seems the Italians don't really know what we want - Pretty much like ourselves. My bike UK model reads Fahrenheit - I don't even know what one of those is!!!!!
    Pugwash could be onto something - Try moving the sensor out ever so slightly to remove any chances of extra pulses being generated by being too close to the bolts in the wheel. Otherwise I would just live with it.
    08 ETV 1000 Caponord
    NC705X DCT - The Blue Toad
    Honda PCX125 - White Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by nerald View Post
    Sounds like its working as it should. Odometer working and counting correctly and accurately is good. 10kmh is 10% at 60mph so within the realms of reality. Celsius/Fahrenheit seems the Italians don't really know what we want - Pretty much like ourselves. My bike UK model reads Fahrenheit - I don't even know what one of those is!!!!!
    Pugwash could be onto something - Try moving the sensor out ever so slightly to remove any chances of extra pulses being generated by being too close to the bolts in the wheel. Otherwise I would just live with it.
    Must check mine against the sat navery next time I get to swing a leg over her!
    Brum Brum

It's possible to change the indication in Celsius/Fahrenheit on display as well the tachometer, rpm and odometer counting. I've done it in many dashboards, but you have to find a background film in miles or kilometer or buy it in aftermarket. But conside the shipment cost from/to Italy of dashboard.

apriliaforum expert
    Don't buy, print one. Design it yourself, test and then go to any print shop and ask them to print it on backprint film. Cost is minimal and looks as good as factory. I've done this many times.
    ETV stands for Extra-Terrestrial Vehicle. The only thing better than having one is having two.

apriliaforum newb
    I will check it in the morning, also will move out sensor a bit... Will keep You updated guys. Regarding changing F to C there is lad in Poland doing it, not expensive but waiting list its huge. I get use to gps now TBH

Quote Originally Posted by PawelK View Post
    I will check it in the morning, also will move out sensor a bit... Will keep You updated guys. Regarding changing F to C there is lad in Poland doing it, not expensive but waiting list its huge.
    Please, who is the modifier in Poland?