Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine cut out with gabro ecu

apriliaforum prov-nov

Engine cut out with gabro ecu

Any help appreciated,2015 tuono 1100 factory ,4000 miles on the clock ,bought recently,my 4th tuono so not new to them ,fitted akra with decat link pipe with standard ecu ,all running well for 1000 miles ,last week received gabro race ecu ,fitted at dealers in UK ,rode bike home 120 miles with no issues although I didn't think wow this is a big difference from the oem ecu ,(I only fitted the race ecu as I believe you need it when running the akra and decat ) I also run baffle in ,today I went out for around 30 miles ,stopped for a cigarette,maybe 5 mins ,rode another 20 miles ,going through town ,pulled the clutch in with no throttle applied ,bike cut out !,pressed the starter while I was still drifting and she fired up again. Went home no issues ,started it a few times all seems ok
    I see this has happened to someone before with the gabro ecu but couldn't see the end result
    i have silverstone track day Tuesday so don't fancy the engine cutting out on me round track if I can help it ,can I just put my standard ecu back in or does it need throttle and handle learning again ??!, may sound a dumb question but I don't have cables or even a computer ! Just an I pad ,I'm a bit old school ,just want to get on the bike and track it
    I'm fairly sure it's an ecu fault as it was running fine with the oem one ,I was trying to be safe engine wise by putting gabros one in
    all comments appreciated

apriliaforum expert
    You can put your old ECU back in, without throttle and hand learning. It’s already married to the bike’s hardware and software.
    Hoosier, not hoser.
    2000.5 Mille R - Ti Shotguns & lots of Evo shtuff
    2016 Tuono 1100 Factory
    1983 Yamaha XJ650LK Seca Turbo
    2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Ok cool thank you for letting me know ,much appreciated

Ask Gabro what to do.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I have emailed him on private msg here twice and had no reply ,after spending 635 for the ecu and his flash to say I'm not impressed is an understatement,also I mainly only do track in UK fast group and also have an acu license ,which is what I have this bike for ,but if it can't even keep running in town with this ecu it ain't great ,let's see what happens on Tuesday around silverstone national circuit
    I am not slagging him off but this has taught me a lesson, only buy from people you can talk to on the phone and also reply promptly to email,especially when I could have gone the oft route
    recently someone mentioned about a certain Ducati tuner that had mapped someone's ecu in the UK with poor results ,I have been down this route before with the same guy is,hence I heeded this forums advice and spent a lot of money with gabro
    even when it was first loaded I'm disappointed with the result ,my stock triumph 765 was way smoother

Quote Originally Posted by James13 View Post
    I'm fairly sure it's an ecu fault as it was running fine with the oem one ,I was trying to be safe engine wise by putting gabros one in
    all comments appreciated
    So, your Tuono stalled one time, and hasn't done it again since, so your first action is to run to the keyboard, and start blaming the Gabro ECU. How about doing two things today, 1). Check that your battery cables are tight, and 2). A nice long ride from a cold start, to let any throttle and MAP adaptations work out. Is the lambda sensor still plugged in?
    2013 Tuono V4R APRC, Sunlit yellow
    2001 Yamaha FZ-1
    1999 TL1000S street fighter

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Thanks for the reply thunder ,and yes I did check the battery,I also had a nice long ride back from the dealers from cold and all was fine ,I also did a 1000 miles on the oem ecu and all was fine ,I also have had 4 tuonos all with race ecu,s and many track miles on them ,so no I'm not running to my keyboard to blame gabro ,I'm merely stating that I am fairly sure it is an ecu issue and if I could get hold of him to discuss after spending a lot of money with him I wouldn't be asking friendly advice on here ,but if you have a problem with that feel free to ring me and we can discuss it further

I suspect that Gabro 'maybe' either on Holiday (dont forget its Italy and most of it shuts for August, just try getting anything from Aprilia ) or away with his race team maybe.

It's a shame you bought the ecu off Gabro because if it had been mine that you bought the previous week I could have told you 100% it never happened when fitted to my bike, I doubt very much it is the ecu because when they are programmed the software carries out 'checksums' all the way through the programming to check all the parameters are correct.

You really need to buy the cables, in fact every Tuono/RSV4 should take advantage of what is basically a very cheap diagnostics system, that way you could have interrogated the ecu for fault codes.

You could have also saved the trip to the dealers for ecu fitting and Handle learning as you could have done that yourself

The only time one of my previous Aprilias (I think it was my 13 RSV4) cut out was braking downhill towards a red traffic light with very low fuel and it must have all gone forward in the fuel tank starving the pump, it only ever did it the once

I doubt very much you will be doing any 'coasting' with clutch pulled in at a track day so all should be OK, and certainly safer than running a std ecu
    Last edited by mikef4uk; 08-25-2019 at 04:40 PM.

apriliaforum Junkie
    I may be selling my Gabro ecu. Not because there is anything wrong with it. Its amazing.

Im starting to head towards more adventure riding which I love.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    My bikes

2015 Tuono 1100rr

2006 KDX200

2010 GSXR1250

2009 BMW XChallenge G650x

,pulled the clutch in with no throttle applied ,bike cut out !,pressed the starter while I was still drifting and she fired up again. Went home no issues ,started it a few times all seems ok
    I see this has happened to someone before with the gabro ecu but couldn't see the end result
    I have had this happen to my RSV4RR 2 times in exact same scenario. I have the OEM ECU.
    First time it happened was about 1,500 km on the clock, in slow traffic coming up to a traffic light.
    Second time had about 10,000km on the clock, cruising in first gear & stopping to open my front gate.
    Both times with stock mapping.
    It never happened at all at the track & I track once a month when the weather is good.
    Have updated to Race mapping since & disconnected flapper servo, removed cables & wired the exhaust flapper open.

Have 19,000km now & hasn't happened again, although I did have some start then stall issues with the Race mapping until I wired the flapper open.

So I wouldn't be blaming Gabro ECU map for your issue yet.
    If you haven't already, disconnect flapper servo & cables, wire the flapper open & ride the bike some more, see if it reoccurs.
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

apriliaforum newb
    I have emailed him on private msg here twice and had no reply ,after spending 635 for the ecu and his flash to say I'm not impressed is an understatement,also I mainly only do track in UK fast group and also have an acu license ,which is what I have this bike for ,but if it can't even keep running in town with this ecu it ain't great ,let's see what happens on Tuesday around silverstone national circuit
    I am not slagging him off but this has taught me a lesson, only buy from people you can talk to on the phone and also reply promptly to email,especially when I could have gone the oft route
    recently someone mentioned about a certain Ducati tuner that had mapped someone's ecu in the UK with poor results ,I have been down this route before with the same guy is,hence I heeded this forums advice and spent a lot of money with gabro
    even when it was first loaded I'm disappointed with the result ,my stock triumph 765 was way smoother
    Hi James13, go to his facebook page and leave a message there, think its gabro racing, he has always been pretty quick with me, I think that's his preferred communication.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Ok cool will try that

it's the same map of this:
    https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...st-go-to-Gabro

BTW not all the donuts comes with an hole, offered james a full refound, no problem. Will be nice to have that ECU back and inspect/test it!
    Aprilia bikes ECU tuning and reflashes since 2004!
    --
    Please like and Follow the #gabroracingteam socials!
    FB: https://www.facebook.com/gabroracingteam
    IG: https://www.instagram.com/gabroracingteam
    YT: https://www.youtube.com/GabroRacingTeam-GRT

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Don't know about donuts ,don't eat them ,but I have replied to your msg,bike seems to have smoothed out a little ,and hasn't cut out ,100 track miles was ok ,as I said couldn't get hold of you hence asked advice on here ,also no mountains near me and have never had a tuono cut out on me ever ,maybe just lucky so far ,as I said maybe I needed to let the ecu adapt a little bit more ,unfortunately I was expecting instant magic ,along with a custom map based on what mods the bike is running ,ie baffle in ,standard filter etc ,altering traction control .i would love a high flow filter and no baffle but will fail UK noise for sure as my last one failed when I put a bmc filter on with the arrow I had ,let's see how it goes

apriliaforum Member
    take the filter out and go for a quick ride to the donut shop.

see how it runs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast