Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Sitting in Hospital ..little beat up. .rsvr is junk

home for almost 2 days, it is nice, little tighter than hoped but all doable. my dogs were ecstatic, my 5yo male pitt will not leave my side and my 12yo female pitt makes sure other side is protected..it feels good, spent most of yesterday rolling house getting things accessible to me without having to bother wife and daughter..

my buddy w/ ducati 848 built me an awesome ramp from bedroom into the rest of house...can not get the files he sent me to load here

I do have to admit I flinched about 5 times on way home from hospital...cars turning in front or sitting to pull out..that was different for me, I have felt caution type feelings before but never feelings of fear while riding, ....this experience, other than injuries, has been very interesting in a way..
    Last edited by mwlehman; 09-06-2019 at 04:46 PM.
    Once you have ruined your reputation, you can live quite freely

04 Aprilia Tuono (hers)
    04 Aprilia Tuono
    04 Aprilia RSV1000r (destroyed 8/23/19, was my first )
    08 Aprilia Tuono (hers)
    04 Aprilia SR50 (hers)
    13 Honda cbr250r (hers)
    16 Honda cbr500r

you're good. that will wear off.
    "death from misadventure"

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

I am gunna put it out there and say that mm will win two more titles with Honda to equal the hated ones record. Then jump ship to another bike. Iím gunna say Suzuki or Ducati. Yuall heard it here first.

ape66

Awww man I just finally read through all this bad news. I'll drink to your speedy recovery this weekend. From what I've learned in my times of recovery I can tell you that SLEEP is everything to a body trying to heal itself. I was frustrated with slow healing while trying to mend some bone damage. I was eating very clean and also trying to carry some work load as I could do some work from home at the time. I wasn't healing hardly at all so I just said "screw it I'm just going to be a lazy a$$ and lay on the couch and sleep for a week." To my surprise I started healing much better and feeling physically better as well. I slept as much as I could after that... and recovered faster for sure. I found out that blood flow is also a big factor. I had dark spots in my feet and some other areas and I didn't know what the heck that was from. I went and visited a massage therapist and she said that blood was not getting circulated very well at all. After some 15 minutes of work from her all of those dark areas were gone and all my blood was flowing much better which also helped speed up my healing. Sleep + promoting blood circulation around injured areas is key. Heal up and keep an eye out and keep an eye out for your next ride brother.

Mike is it?
    Just binged this whole sordid affair - sucks to be you eh?
    I kid! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	share@2x.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	387998

Holey Cow! Quite a bit of damage for a little beat up!
    Glad to hear you are finally home, and get resettled.

ok, my story. Sep/Oct 93 on the way home, got caught in a thunderstorm(south of Atlanta). Stopped to wait it out. Road was dry, on the way. Stopped on a 2 lane road at the bottom of a hill to wait for oncoming traffic, so I could ride the next 1000 feet to my house. I saw him come over the hill, and I think I could see that he was on the fone. I think I even noticed that he had a Poppa John sticker on the roof. He was going about 50. As he struck me on my old '97 VFR, I kind of remember sliding back onto the hood, then up, and then onto the pavement. Then BAMM!! Like a clap of thunder. Except I can't really move. I notice that I can't feel anything below the waist, but I can tell that my legs are moving around, writhing like snakes. In my mask I see a guy looking down, and he's asking if I'm ok. I tell him no. I think my back may be broken, my hand hurts, and there is a sustained LOUD ringing in my ears. I give him the # and he calls my wife. She's there immediately. I've been down before, so she knows what to ask, and who to call. 30 mins later, and EMT is there. I feel like I'm surrounded by people looking down at me, but I can't really tell. The EMT ask the standard questions. My legs have stopped moving, but no pain from them, just this LOUD ringing, and pain.
    Pain like getting hit by lightning, or a semi, or something, just huge, like a tidal wave. Because I've been lying on the pavement, I'm getting a little shocky, and shivery. They start to move the board under me, and there's that lightning bolt again. Some kind of pain that includes bright lights - I can see! That tidal wave again. Turns out that was the first 4 seconds, they hadn't moved me a millimeter..That went on for awhile. Then they lifted me up towards the truck. It was like flying and being crushed under a mountain at the same time. I can't see or hear anything, except the pain. Everything else has melted away. The EMT pulls away, and they are doing vitals. pulse and BP are dropping, but I don't have time to think about that. Only every pebble and beer tab laying on the road. At each little rise of the truck I have pain. Blinding, intense pain. Not the kind you can breathe away, just gape, and wait for it to pass.
    At one point, the traffic was backed up, so the EMT drove OVER a concrete median and continued up the road. No howling, screeching, just a gasp, and more bright lights. It takes another 30 minutes, but I don't remember.
    Doors open, and I'm brought to the front of the line. They carefully, as carefully as they can, lower me onto the table. A new, brighter level of pain ensues. I can't speak, just my eyes bulging, attempting to survive this wave after wave of pain. I'm covered in sweat, but I haven't moved. As they begin to cut soaked clothes off, somehow they moved something, and the 75% compression on my spinal cord releases a bit. Now, I can feel my legs, but I can't move.
    X-rays confirm, shattered L2, 75% compression with fragments throughout the cord.
    Finally comes the morphine. I LIKE morphine. It makes everything 'roundy'. No sharp edges on morphine, just smooth contours, and calm. My Grandfather fell off a ladder as a painter and hurt his back. They prescribed 2 tabs morphine every day for 40 years. When his new doctor came in and tried to change it, he died during the exam - he was so fearful of the pain returning that he just died.
    Surgery, inserted a new little alien in my back, fusing L1-L3. Fucking nurses were not my friends. My Wife had to change pads, sponge bath, and care for me. Lots of nausea because of being horizontal for a few days. Attempting to sit up caused a ROARK moment every time. I had lost, maybe 10 pounds by this time just trying to rebuild and recover.
    Screaming black shits? yeah, done that. Must suck to be a heroin addict..
    2 weeks till venture home, 6 months til work return. Permanent condition. Total pain, back spasms from the meat trying to re-form in my back. Narcotics for a few months, then reduction. Funny thing; this was the time Rush Limbaugh was busted for doing 13 Oxy per day, while being functional. I couldn't imagine it, but hated the comparison that he was ok, and I was only 'broken'. Worked with a neighbor to start walking. Started with a 300 foot driveway, then a yard width, then another, finally making it back to the road where everything changed.
    It looked normal, nothing significant about it, just a 2 lane road in the country. At 10-12 months Lawsuit was commencing. Papa Johns kept sending me $30k checks(no shit). Lawyer said, just tear them up and throw them away; okay!?!
    Finally went to "litigation". This is a chess term for 3 lawyers deciding your level of disability, and compensation. The day dragged on, and the #$ finally started about 2:30 to get reasonable. My lawyer threatened to end the proceedings if they didn't add another zero, so that spirited things along. By 4:30, he was happy, my Wife was exhausted from all the stress, and everybody seemed in agreement. What a shit show. They shook, hands, and agreed to get together later; I'm sure they were doing the same thing, a month later with another poor sod.
    The money helped. A medication called Duloxetine helped even more. It quit the spasms and allowed me to bend, stand with going numb below the waist, and um, more pain. Lots of PT, and a burning desire to get as far back to normal as possible, went a long way towards my recovery - as far as I could.
    People don't believe my story now. They've seen me walk, talk, ride, bend, and move like a normal person. They can't believe that I have my little alien friend, until I show them. Then, faces ashen, they realize I made it.
    Take care, bud, you'll be ok.
    Ride well.
    Jimbob
    Actually, Formerly Teachin DevilDogs to ride bikes
    01 RSVR, 10 HD XR1200 (for sale!) 11 BMW 1200RT, 04 1150 RT gone, 97 Honda VFREVER, KLX250S
    00 RSV-gone, 04 Futura-gone - 04 Futura-gone..

yes..I hear you totally trying to pass time..I do to much, get sore, sit for a day feel better..do to much..repeat...noticed a lot of muscle mass missing from legs..I am kinda scrawny dweeb anyway so not a lot there to loose ..so I am working with that..elastic bands and leg movements, massage my feet and ass cheeks..and fuck..two weeks later and my balls are still pretty sore

going to take it easy for couple days..did get new wheel chair today, more adjustable, little narrower/ maneuverable

Quote Originally Posted by Smitherz View Post
    Awww man I just finally read through all this bad news. I'll drink to your speedy recovery this weekend. From what I've learned in my times of recovery I can tell you that SLEEP is everything to a body trying to heal itself. I was frustrated with slow healing while trying to mend some bone damage. I was eating very clean and also trying to carry some work load as I could do some work from home at the time. I wasn't healing hardly at all so I just said "screw it I'm just going to be a lazy a$$ and lay on the couch and sleep for a week." To my surprise I started healing much better and feeling physically better as well. I slept as much as I could after that... and recovered faster for sure. I found out that blood flow is also a big factor. I had dark spots in my feet and some other areas and I didn't know what the heck that was from. I went and visited a massage therapist and she said that blood was not getting circulated very well at all. After some 15 minutes of work from her all of those dark areas were gone and all my blood was flowing much better which also helped speed up my healing. Sleep + promoting blood circulation around injured areas is key. Heal up and keep an eye out and keep an eye out for your next ride brother.

04 Aprilia Tuono (hers)
    04 Aprilia Tuono
    08 Aprilia Tuono (hers)
    04 Aprilia SR50 (hers)
    13 Honda cbr250r (hers)
    16 Honda cbr500r

all i got from that was skinny fuck with sore balls.

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

I am gunna put it out there and say that mm will win two more titles with Honda to equal the hated ones record. Then jump ship to another bike. Iím gunna say Suzuki or Ducati. Yuall heard it here first.

ape66

yup name is Mike......you are a bigger man that i, just reading your trial gave me the chills.... very scary....this makes my issues seem like a stubbed toe..I am sorry. Still going ok? I am afraid of residual pain from accident adding to my RA issues..

Back injury scares me more that other broken bones..and you are right about the morphine..it does make thing much nicer...smoother, softer

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbobvfr View Post
    Mike is it?
    Just binged this whole sordid affair - sucks to be you eh?
    I kid! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	share@2x.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	387998

Holey Cow! Quite a bit of damage for a little beat up!
    Glad to hear you are finally home, and get resettled.

ok, my story. Sep/Oct 93 on the way home, got caught in a thunderstorm(south of Atlanta). Stopped to wait it out. Road was dry, on the way. Stopped on a 2 lane road at the bottom of a hill to wait for oncoming traffic, so I could ride the next 1000 feet to my house. I saw him come over the hill, and I think I could see that he was on the fone. I think I even noticed that he had a Poppa John sticker on the roof. He was going about 50. As he struck me on my old '97 VFR, I kind of remember sliding back onto the hood, then up, and then onto the pavement. Then BAMM!! Like a clap of thunder. Except I can't really move. I notice that I can't feel anything below the waist, but I can tell that my legs are moving around, writhing like snakes. In my mask I see a guy looking down, and he's asking if I'm ok. I tell him no. I think my back may be broken, my hand hurts, and there is a sustained LOUD ringing in my ears. I give him the # and he calls my wife. She's there immediately. I've been down before, so she knows what to ask, and who to call. 30 mins later, and EMT is there. I feel like I'm surrounded by people looking down at me, but I can't really tell. The EMT ask the standard questions. My legs have stopped moving, but no pain from them, just this LOUD ringing, and pain.
    Pain like getting hit by lightning, or a semi, or something, just huge, like a tidal wave. Because I've been lying on the pavement, I'm getting a little shocky, and shivery. They start to move the board under me, and there's that lightning bolt again. Some kind of pain that includes bright lights - I can see! That tidal wave again. Turns out that was the first 4 seconds, they hadn't moved me a millimeter..That went on for awhile. Then they lifted me up towards the truck. It was like flying and being crushed under a mountain at the same time. I can't see or hear anything, except the pain. Everything else has melted away. The EMT pulls away, and they are doing vitals. pulse and BP are dropping, but I don't have time to think about that. Only every pebble and beer tab laying on the road. At each little rise of the truck I have pain. Blinding, intense pain. Not the kind you can breathe away, just gape, and wait for it to pass.
    At one point, the traffic was backed up, so the EMT drove OVER a concrete median and continued up the road. No howling, screeching, just a gasp, and more bright lights. It takes another 30 minutes, but I don't remember.
    Doors open, and I'm brought to the front of the line. They carefully, as carefully as they can, lower me onto the table. A new, brighter level of pain ensues. I can't speak, just my eyes bulging, attempting to survive this wave after wave of pain. I'm covered in sweat, but I haven't moved. As they begin to cut soaked clothes off, somehow they moved something, and the 75% compression on my spinal cord releases a bit. Now, I can feel my legs, but I can't move.
    X-rays confirm, shattered L2, 75% compression with fragments throughout the cord.
    Finally comes the morphine. I LIKE morphine. It makes everything 'roundy'. No sharp edges on morphine, just smooth contours, and calm. My Grandfather fell off a ladder as a painter and hurt his back. They prescribed 2 tabs morphine every day for 40 years. When his new doctor came in and tried to change it, he died during the exam - he was so fearful of the pain returning that he just died.
    Surgery, inserted a new little alien in my back, fusing L1-L3. Fucking nurses were not my friends. My Wife had to change pads, sponge bath, and care for me. Lots of nausea because of being horizontal for a few days. Attempting to sit up caused a ROARK moment every time. I had lost, maybe 10 pounds by this time just trying to rebuild and recover.
    Screaming black shits? yeah, done that. Must suck to be a heroin addict..
    2 weeks till venture home, 6 months til work return. Permanent condition. Total pain, back spasms from the meat trying to re-form in my back. Narcotics for a few months, then reduction. Funny thing; this was the time Rush Limbaugh was busted for doing 13 Oxy per day, while being functional. I couldn't imagine it, but hated the comparison that he was ok, and I was only 'broken'. Worked with a neighbor to start walking. Started with a 300 foot driveway, then a yard width, then another, finally making it back to the road where everything changed.
    It looked normal, nothing significant about it, just a 2 lane road in the country. At 10-12 months Lawsuit was commencing. Papa Johns kept sending me $30k checks(no shit). Lawyer said, just tear them up and throw them away; okay!?!
    Finally went to "litigation". This is a chess term for 3 lawyers deciding your level of disability, and compensation. The day dragged on, and the #$ finally started about 2:30 to get reasonable. My lawyer threatened to end the proceedings if they didn't add another zero, so that spirited things along. By 4:30, he was happy, my Wife was exhausted from all the stress, and everybody seemed in agreement. What a shit show. They shook, hands, and agreed to get together later; I'm sure they were doing the same thing, a month later with another poor sod.
    The money helped. A medication called Duloxetine helped even more. It quit the spasms and allowed me to bend, stand with going numb below the waist, and um, more pain. Lots of PT, and a burning desire to get as far back to normal as possible, went a long way towards my recovery - as far as I could.
    People don't believe my story now. They've seen me walk, talk, ride, bend, and move like a normal person. They can't believe that I have my little alien friend, until I show them. Then, faces ashen, they realize I made it.
    Take care, bud, you'll be ok.
    Ride well.

04 Aprilia Tuono (hers)
    04 Aprilia Tuono
    08 Aprilia Tuono (hers)
    04 Aprilia SR50 (hers)
    13 Honda cbr250r (hers)
    16 Honda cbr500r

That's funny, scrawny, blue balls.
    I messed up the dates - this 'accident' happened in 2003, 15 years ago. In '93, I guy pulled out from a store into my lane(4 lane with a median). I swerved to the left, then he pulled into THAT lane, and stopped, waiting for traffic from his right. The first time he saw me, I was coming across his hood.
    The short version, I broke my ankle when I came off the bike. It was a repaint, and apparently, I left the center seam of my pants onto the gas tank(from belt to nuts seam). The doc said if I wasn't in such good shape, it would prolly have split my pelvis - so at least I got that going for me.

As for residual pain? Not too much really. I stay inside my limits - no lifting over about 35 lbs. I can do it, but then I feel like the Hunchback for a few hours. That means no more squats, stairs kick my ass, and I'm less than perfect on cycling - something I used to be decent at. As soon as I hit the hills, I start fading, I can't push, no leverage...
    Some nerve damage in my left thigh, right middle toe, left side of my back still feels like knots.
    Other than that? I'm fine.
    btw, I went on to become a full time m/c Instructor - taught over 2,000 Marines how not to get killed on bikes.. I still teach on weekends, and I retired at 56. Not too shabby overall.
    Jimbob
    01 RSVR, 10 HD XR1200 (for sale!) 11 BMW 1200RT, 04 1150 RT gone, 97 Honda VFREVER, KLX250S

congrats on that one also..shit.....thanks for putting instructor in my head. I will look into that..I was already looking for something to do once I recover....we talked about packing up and just driving around country in van..we will look at our lives in 6 months and see what future holds..

I will have to find my limits...

does riding motorcycle aggravate the pain..or just keep rides short and sweet?

I have not driven a car daily in 4 -5 years......not looking forward to it

thanks you!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbobvfr View Post
    That's funny, scrawny, blue balls.
    I messed up the dates - this 'accident' happened in 2003, 15 years ago. In '93, I guy pulled out from a store into my lane(4 lane with a median). I swerved to the left, then he pulled into THAT lane, and stopped, waiting for traffic from his right. The first time he saw me, I was coming across his hood.
    The short version, I broke my ankle when I came off the bike. It was a repaint, and apparently, I left the center seam of my pants onto the gas tank(from belt to nuts seam). The doc said if I wasn't in such good shape, it would prolly have split my pelvis - so at least I got that going for me.

As for residual pain? Not too much really. I stay inside my limits - no lifting over about 35 lbs. I can do it, but then I feel like the Hunchback for a few hours. That means no more squats, stairs kick my ass, and I'm less than perfect on cycling - something I used to be decent at. As soon as I hit the hills, I start fading, I can't push, no leverage...
    Some nerve damage in my left thigh, right middle toe, left side of my back still feels like knots.
    Other than that? I'm fine.
    btw, I went on to become a full time m/c Instructor - taught over 2,000 Marines how not to get killed on bikes.. I still teach on weekends, and I retired at 56. Not too shabby overall.

04 Aprilia Tuono (hers)
    04 Aprilia Tuono
    08 Aprilia Tuono (hers)
    04 Aprilia SR50 (hers)
    13 Honda cbr250r (hers)
    16 Honda cbr500r

Quote Originally Posted by mwlehman View Post
    congrats on that one also..shit.....thanks for putting instructor in my head. I will look into that..I was already looking for something to do once I recover....we talked about packing up and just driving around country in van..we will look at our lives in 6 months and see what future holds..

I will have to find my limits...

does riding motorcycle aggravate the pain..or just keep rides short and sweet?

I have not driven a car daily in 4 -5 years......not looking forward to it

thanks you!
    back when i had brain cut on, i lost all equilibrium. thought i would never be able to ride a bike again. that sucked.

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

ape66

apriliaforum expert
    Hang in there man. Keep trying to remind yourself just how lucky you are to be here....and those dogs. My 10 yr old girlie pit makes a bad day, just a little bit better.

Last week, A buddy i work with, was going 25 mph in a neighborhood. Car backs out right in front of him and hits the car. His right foot/lower leg was curled up forward whereas his toes were damn near touching his knee.

They had a hard time stopping the bleeding....amputation seemed to be #1 option at first. But, he had 3 surgeries the same day and has stopped the bleeding. But is still in hospital with a machine hooked up that is circulating the blood through his leg to keep it alive. Gonna be in the hospital for at least a month to try and save the leg. Surgery after surgery etc....

He was in the process of selling the bike as well. Has a baby coming in a month. Wife was seriously injured in a pretty bad car wreck about 3 months ago while pregnant.....just a series of bad juju for this guy and his family.

RacerX(hijack acknowledge), tell your friend to keep fighting the amputee-life. Once it's gone, it's gone. I understand that the body will expel a broken part if it can't save it, but keep tryin' til the end. Sounds like he needs that 'bad' kind of lawyer. The type that gets pronouncements, then loans you the money on interest.. Kind of fucked, but for those who can't wait 6-12 months, some form of reward..
    Jimbob

ok..just checking in..pain meds rain out yesterday and thanks to opioid issues in fla docs won`t prescribe more..today a little edgy to say the least..can not wait for the ok to start working on getting legs and feet weight bearing

insurance is writing check for $4500 for bike..

04 Aprilia Tuono (hers)
    04 Aprilia Tuono
    08 Aprilia Tuono (hers)
    04 Aprilia SR50 (hers)
    13 Honda cbr250r (hers)
    16 Honda cbr500r

I have no faith in the synthetic morphines killing the pain after about three days, therefore I never go on them. My Doctors all have this in my medical files. I have a few recent surgeries/ proceejures and have been prescribed Tramadol to good effect. Does it kill all the pain? No, it does not. But Tramadol makes it very livable and is not habit forming. I sleep just fine while taking it and the last time was with a 7" surgery scar over L2 - L5 on my lower back. KB recommended alternative.
    Also took Gabapentin (? spelling ?) longer term last year and except for a slight balance issue it worked as intended. Again, it made the pain manigable but not gone.
    In today's world you need a more indepth conversation with your Doctor on pain managment and alternate drugs or therapies. My wife and I are big supporters of the "Tenz" electric current machines. Set up across a surgery scar they are a miracle.
    Just some thoughts to ponder when life delivers a crunch to the body.....

KB

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mwlehman View Post
    ok..just checking in..pain meds rain out yesterday and thanks to opioid issues in fla docs won`t prescribe more..today a little edgy to say the least..can not wait for the ok to start working on getting legs and feet weight bearing

insurance is writing check for $4500 for bike..
    the law is on it's way-be legal soon right? cbd.......

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

ape66

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast