Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: USB Outlet Melted

USB Outlet Melted

Was on my way home from work when I noticed white smoke pouring out from behind the left cover where the usb outlet is installed. Two seconds later my dash went black and the bike shut off. I pulled over and took the covers off to find that the usb wires melted right where they go into the usb block. Thankfully it didnít catch fire and all I had to do was replace a 30A fuse and I was back on my way. Not sure if I had a faulty part or what. I may just order a new cover and not re install another usb outlet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	901681C0-0C72-40CE-81EC-4AEF912C5E1A.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	387133

A port like that should be fused to something like 2A max.

If it was connected directly to a 30A circuit without going through a much smaller fuse it was a fire waiting to happen.
    2017 Aprilia Tuono Factory

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Was the USB port that melted plugged into the factory connector? We’re you charging something when this happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuono Tom View Post
    Was the USB port that melted plugged into the factory connector? Weíre you charging something when this happened?
    This was the official aprilia USB port I bought from AF1. I followed the directions exactly for the installation. It was connected directly to the port behind the left of the dash and no I was not using it when it happened. It has been installed on my tuono for a couple months trouble free.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by KillSwitch46 View Post
    This was the official aprilia USB port I bought from AF1. I followed the directions exactly for the installation. It was connected directly to the port behind the left of the dash and no I was not using it when it happened. It has been installed on my tuono for a couple months trouble free.
    Wow, thanks for sharing. I bet a lot of us have this same setup, including me. I hardly use mine but didn’t think that it could be an issue like you had.

Holy hell! Glad it didn't end up worse. Hopefully Ed or one of the guys from AF1 see this. Wonder if it's something they've seen before?

Just looked at the wiring diagram for the 2017 Tuono. Incredibly, the "USB Pre Installation" is indeed fused only by the 30A fuse located in the "start-up relay" relay. There are actually a bunch more circuits powered from that same bus, many expected to be able to sustain a 30A draw; I bet none of that wiring is of a sufficient gauge to carry 30A safely; certainly, that USB wiring nor the USB contacts are anywhere close to being able to carry that safely.

Even the cooling fans, fed by a tap on this bus, are protected by a 15A fuse.

How could Aprilia design it this way? Seems like a fire hazard right from the factory. What am I missing?

(Electrical engineer here, BTW...)

Definitely an interesting tale. I had one on my bike with no problems and this is the first I have heard of this. Was your phone plugged in when it happened? And if so what phone and what brand of charging chord was used? Maybe a certain combination of the two caused this.

If you have a dealer close it may be worth it to inquire them about it or perhaps talk to Apr ilia directly. This is something they should be aware of.

apriliaforum expert norcolmille's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuono Tom View Post
    Wow, thanks for sharing. I bet a lot of us have this same setup, including me. I hardly use mine but didnít think that it could be an issue like you had.
    agreed thanks for sharing as many have the same parts and installation. Please let is know what was plugged into this USB when it - got too hot?

And if nothing (like an iphone )was plugged in - could the socket been tampered with? Of course a USB is very difficult to compromise from the front - you likely installed it as we all have - simple and straight forward install.

We would all like to know the fault isolation efforts to determine the root cause ...as many can also be affected
    present
    now a 2017 Aprilia Tuono RR let the mods begin
    sold the fun little 675 daytona
    previous - two Gen2 "Factories"
    5 past Apes and other rides too numerous to mention

Well I did a self install to the USB wiring harness of my RSV4 bit over 2 years ago.
    Was an ebay job $10, hasn't had a problem.
    From memory it had a 7A fuse in the line that I cut off, as it was way too long & being that it was being connected to a fuse already, I thought It wasn't necessary.

EDIT: looking at my RSV4 service manual it is a 5A fused circuit.

AUXILIARY FUSES DISTRIBUTION
    A) 5A fuse Lights relay, stop light, daylight running lights, variable geometry
    intake ducts (factory)
    B) 5A fuse Instrument panel, turn indicators, Bluedash and USB (predisposition)
    C) 15A fuse ECU
    D) 7.5A fuse ECU (2)
    E) 15A fuse High beam/low beam, horn.
    F) 15A fuse Coils, injectors, fuel pump, secondary air, injection relay
    G) 15A fuse Fans.
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

Was on my way home from work when I noticed white smoke pouring out from behind the left cover where the usb outlet is installed. Two seconds later my dash went black and the bike shut off. I pulled over and took the covers off to find that the usb wires melted right where they go into the usb block. Thankfully it didn’t catch fire and all I had to do was replace a 30A fuse and I was back on my way. Not sure if I had a faulty part or what. I may just order a new cover and not re install another usb outlet.
    Can we clear this up please, since my post above shows that auxiliary circuit is protected by a 5A fuse, I can't see how your 30A fuse blew?
    The 30A fuse is between the battery & the auxiliaries so how could this happen?
    Are you sure something else wasn't going on there?
    Have you checked your 5A auxiliary fuse for that circuit to see if it shows signs of heat?
    Has someone replaced the auxiliary circuit 5A fuse with a 30A fuse? Not a good idea if someone did.

This deserves further investigation.
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

Quote Originally Posted by plocky View Post
    Can we clear this up please, since my post above shows that auxiliary circuit is protected by a 5A fuse, I can't see how your 30A fuse blew?
    Are you sure something else wasn't going on there?
    Have you checked your 5A auxiliary fuse for that circuit to see if it shows signs of heat?
    Has someone replaced the auxiliary circuit 5A fuse with a 30A fuse? Not a good idea if someone did.

This deserves further investigation.
    I was on a normal ride home from work with nothing plugged into the USB port when this happened.. Iíve had the USB port installed for 3 months and only used it once for a long trip I took in May. Since that trip I have not used it for anything. After my bike died I pulled off the road and started checking every fuse because I had no idea what one it could be. After 10 mins of checking fuses I found the green 30A fuse in the tail under the passenger seat blown. I replaced it with the spare and was on my way. All other fuses looked just fine. No signs of heat or damage.

Quote Originally Posted by plocky View Post
    See my post above yours; If this is a Tuono and the wiring diagram I have is correct, the USB-preinstallation is not passed through the AUX fuses. Rather, it's simply connected to the bus directly supplied through that 30A fuse. The symptoms (severely burned/melted wiring, blown 30A main fuse) presented suggest this is correct.

This looks factory-original.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I was on a normal ride home from work with nothing plugged into the USB port when this happened.. I’ve had the USB port installed for 3 months and only used it once for a long trip I took in May. Since that trip I have not used it for anything. After my bike died I pulled off the road and started checking every fuse because I had no idea what one it could be. After 10 mins of checking fuses I found the green 30A fuse in the tail under the passenger seat blown. I replaced it with the spare and was on my way. All other fuses looked just fine. No signs of heat or damage.
    Any chance it got wet? From reading this thread it appears the newer Tuono needs a 5A fuse added in line. I have yet to add this usb port but it was on the to do list. Thanks for the info.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by Dial In Racer View Post
    Any chance it got wet? From reading this thread it appears the newer Tuono needs a 5A fuse added in line. I have yet to add this usb port but it was on the to do list. Thanks for the info.
    Agreed, if I install one of these I'm definitely adding an in-line 5A fuse.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast