Thread: Trouble Rev Matching Downshifts

apriliaforum newb

Trouble Rev Matching Downshifts

Iím new to the Tuono world. Iím loving the bike but Iím still learning what it likes. With my previous bike (Street triple) I could get a direct connection with my throttle hand to the engine. Meaning, my rev matching for downshifts was flawless.

It took me a while to figure out why the Tuono would surge on me when I try to blip the throttle and rev match. There is a slight delay between me cracking the throttle and the engine revving. It does this in all power modes. Is there a way to fix this? Iíve adjusted the throttle slack already. If I give it some throttle at a normal or brisk rate there is no lag. But if I give it an aggressive snap like I do when I downshift, there is a lag which causes me to not build up enough revs and gives me clunky downshifts.

ĎAny thoughts gents?

apriliaforum expert cggunnersmate's Avatar
    What year is your Tuono? If it's a newer one it may well have quick shift up and down with auto blip on the down shift. If so, manually doing it may be upsetting the system. If your bike doesn't have that then I'm not sure. Not really been an issue on my 2012. Did your Street Triple have ride by wire throttle or direct cable to the throttle bodies?

You mention a delay from cracking the throttle to engine revving, maybe a throttle body sync issue. Are you using a Power Commander, Race ECU, Gabro chip or anything? Any idea how long a delay from grip twist to rev change? May need to run a diag on the bike, make sure everything is within spec.

Aprilias tend to be snatchy from closed to opening of the TB's but I've not know them to have a delay.
    Brent
    Chief Gunnersmate
    U.S. Coast Guard (retired)
    Orlando Area
    '12 Tuono V4
    '03 Tuono (For Sale)
    '01 Speed Triple (RIP) 8/26/11
    '98 GSXR 600 (traded for the Tuoldo)
    '86 VFR Interceptor (died in Puerto Rico 20 years ago)

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by cggunnersmate View Post
    What year is your Tuono? If it's a newer one it may well have quick shift up and down with auto blip on the down shift. If so, manually doing it may be upsetting the system. If your bike doesn't have that then I'm not sure. Not really been an issue on my 2012. Did your Street Triple have ride by wire throttle or direct cable to the throttle bodies?

You mention a delay from cracking the throttle to engine revving, maybe a throttle body sync issue. Are you using a Power Commander, Race ECU, Gabro chip or anything? Any idea how long a delay from grip twist to rev change? May need to run a diag on the bike, make sure everything is within spec.

Aprilias tend to be snatchy from closed to opening of the TB's but I've not know them to have a delay.
    It's a 2016 so I'm pretty sure it's only quick shift up only. My Street Triple was a direct cable. The Tuono has the Race ECU. The delay is so small...maybe a a couple milliseconds. But it's enough to cause the bike to surge like it wants to wheelie when I try to rev match. I'll try to record a video and show what is actually happening. It's annoying at best.