Thread: Questions from new Futura owner

apriliaforum newb

Questions from new Futura owner

Hello one and all - I've made the decision to buy a Futura coming up within the next week or so, and thanks to all you faithful posters on here, am ready to make the leap.

I've come across old posts referring to Tuneboy, but as far as I can gather, they are no longer in business. Which brings me to my question: in reading reviews of PC Commander, it is somewhat hit and miss.

Do you all have suggestions on what would be a good alternative to Tuneboy? Any feedback or insight into your experiences would be greatly appreciated.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Have you read about TuneECU? Futuras ECU is fully tunable.
    English is not my native language, so please be kind to my mistakes.

Remember, this is an Italian bike with an Austrian motor, it isn't like the GSXR you use to own...

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by iamdude View Post
    Have you read about TuneECU? Futuras ECU is fully tunable.
    IamDude - I haven't heard about the Tune ECU. I'll have to do more research on here as to what others recommend for ECU tuning, and what might work best.

welcome aboard.

think i would wait and see how the bike runs before making any decisions on messing with the mapping. If fuel mileage is good (45+ mpg ) and the bike runs well, I'd say ride it and leave well enough alone - especially f the exhaust is (mostly) stock. It'll run fine on the OE maps unless the cat's been replaced with a more free flowing H pipe.

If the bike is a 2003 or 4, it'll likely have the last map - the so called 05 map - that really only differs from my 2002's 02 map in smoothing some abruptness off idle. I never up graded mine and don't even give that abruptness a 2nd thought anymore as it's far better than my 2015 FZ07 Yamaha's whiplash inducing throttle.

I would however hoist the tank and have a look at vac hoses and the return fuel hose. Dark yellow hoses that show be transparent need to go. And if the quick release at the TB is all plastic - well, replacing that should be 1st in line to prevent fires.

Next, do some reading on the rear cush hub nut and proper wheel removal/refitting. If you don't already have, it's time for a decent torque wrench that's do 125 ft lbs.

rick

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by RAS View Post
    welcome aboard.

think i would wait and see how the bike runs before making any decisions on messing with the mapping. If fuel mileage is good (45+ mpg ) and the bike runs well, I'd say ride it and leave well enough alone - especially f the exhaust is (mostly) stock. It'll run fine on the OE maps unless the cat's been replaced with a more free flowing H pipe.

If the bike is a 2003 or 4, it'll likely have the last map - the so called 05 map - that really only differs from my 2002's 02 map in smoothing some abruptness off idle. I never up graded mine and don't even give that abruptness a 2nd thought anymore as it's far better than my 2015 FZ07 Yamaha's whiplash inducing throttle.

I would however hoist the tank and have a look at vac hoses and the return fuel hose. Dark yellow hoses that show be transparent need to go. And if the quick release at the TB is all plastic - well, replacing that should be 1st in line to prevent fires.

Next, do some reading on the rear cush hub nut and proper wheel removal/refitting. If you don't already have, it's time for a decent torque wrench that's do 125 ft lbs.

rick
    Rick - thanks for the words of wisdom in regard to picking up the Futura. The model in question is an '04, so the timing of your message couldn't have been better. If, as you say, the mpg's are decent from the start, I would rather not mess with it anyways.

As for the other items you list, I will start doing my due diligence to educate myself on them. Appreciate the advice.

Even if it runs well, it does not hurt to have TuneECU for reading faults and resetting the TPS if needed.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

Quote Originally Posted by meanstrk View Post
    Even if it runs well, it does not hurt to have TuneECU for reading faults and resetting the TPS if needed.
    Crap, I'd have to buy Windoze laptop. Was hoping to leave PCs behind after I retired. I'm hoping to never need that advice. Find me some wood to knock

Oh, there are 18 screws to deal with to remove the mid and lower fairing bits. Don't panic, there are only 2 lengths of the screws with shoulders and only a couple of screws w/o of different length.

Until you get used to where everything goes, I still use 2 trays to separate the screws for the mid-fairing from the ones holding the lower.

Might not hurt to put a voltmeter on the battery to see how well the charge system is working and then pull the mid-fairing and have a look at the plugs for the regulator/stator. Do that on my bike and you'll find OE connectors still there, but it would be good to know what's been done to your 2004.

The good news, if all this has been sorted well over time, these 15+ year old motorcycles are still an awesome ride.

apriliaforum newb
    Apologize if I’m hijacking the thread... anyone out there knows if the cpu is dramatically different from a Futura to a Mille?
    I’ve owned a Mille and it was bulletproof, saw this thread and got a bit worried about pursuing a Futura.

Quote Originally Posted by Rsvmillerider View Post
    Apologize if Iím hijacking the thread... anyone out there knows if the cpu is dramatically different from a Futura to a Mille?
    Iíve owned a Mille and it was bulletproof, saw this thread and got a bit worried about pursuing a Futura.
    The ECUs are not the same, but the Futís has been very reliable.

The OE regulator was a POS. It actually charged higher at idle than any RPM above, and that was just barely enough to keep the bike running. Many of us added extra wires running straight to the battery from the regulatorís output. Also, all the wires really needed to be soldered to the lugs, to prevent the brown and white plugs from melting. A modern MOSFET regulator takes care of all that

The SS swinger, well it looks cool, but, itís far from simple. The king bearing that carries the speedo sensor was always stupid expensive, but is now unobtanium. But if the rear assembly has been taken care of, itís not an issue.

The quick release joint in the return fuel line was originally plastic. One piece is an elbow and prone to breaking spraying the motor with fuel. This recalled long ago. Both hooves of mine are metal, the recall only replaced the elbow half. If both are still plastic, well, FIX IT NOW!

Only other sorta global issue that comes to mind is the wiring inside the potting material in the fuel pump plate. Those connections get weak and must be fixed to prevent losing fuel pump, gauge sender or both.

May sound like a lot, but once those things are sorted, the bike is generally reliable. And considering their age, very much so.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by RAS View Post
    Only other sorta global issue that comes to mind is the wiring inside the potting material in the fuel pump plate. Those connections get weak and must be fixed to prevent losing fuel pump, gauge sender or both.
    This reminds me, my fuel gauge is totally inaccurate. I need to check that wiring.

I'm not sure any of them were ever super accurate. I reset my odometer at each fill-up, then start looking for gas at about 200-220 miles.
    JD

Futura
    Bunch of dirtbikes

Also, i think the water that comes along with the ethanol in our fuel wreaks havoc on the senders - basically variable resisters operated by a float. Just do a google search for fuel gauge issues. You'll find all manner of car owners complaining about bad fuel senders.

My fuel gauge worked and then it didn't and then it worked again to the point that at its worst, just touching the wires where they went into the fuel pump plate made it clear I had wringing issues. I would up replacing the sender when i dug out that potting to fix the wiring as it hadn't read F in years. While I was at it, I replaced the fuel filter and hoses. It was all 15 years old, it was time.