Thread: 2018 Tuono - How to remove front calipers to change pads

apriliaforum newb

Question 2018 Tuono - How to remove front calipers to change pads

Hi Everybody,

I'm a french guy living in Paris and I've been lurking the since I bought my tuono v4 MY 2018 (second hand with 4300 kms, akra slip-on + race map, led lights and Aprilia MP) in May 2019.
    Since then I added lightech front and rear axe sliders, top block frame sliders and usb socket (the forum was super useful for that one).

I will be riding it on track this week-end and I noticed that the front pads were quite worn (1,5 mm left for the interior pads and 2 mm left for the exterior pads) so I wanted to change them.
    Bought the service manual from AF1 (in french) but nothing written about this procedure so I thought it would be quite simple (and maybe it is). Problem is, after removing the two bolts holding the calipers (with the M50 it does not seem possible to change the pads without removing the calipers), I'm not able to remove the calipers from the disk, when I try to they get in contact with the rim.
    Usually there is always an existing topic when I face an issue but I did not find anything on this one, what am I doing wrong?

Regards.

apriliaforum prov-nov Jeremy556's Avatar
    The calipers will come off the disc, it just takes a lot of fiddling to get the perfect angle for the caliper to clear the disc and wheel.

you have to bend or pry them outward with your hands and make them pass beside the rim.. you may want to use painting tape so you won't scratch the rim,

don't be shy in bending them..you won't break anything.

as for changing the pads, I'm surprinsed at that low mileage that you would need some new ones.. have a look at NEW pads first and see how thin they are when new.. I have done that mistake before on the rear brake... I though the pads were almost gone but the new ones were almost as thin,.,.

apriliaforum Member
    Slide the caliper down a little towards the edge of the rotor and twist towards you and then towards the hub fairly hard. This will compress the caliper pistons and let you angle the calipers enough to clear the rim. You'll probably have to push the piston the rest of the way in so the new pads will fit over the rotor. After you bolt the calipers back on squeeze the brake lever a few times until you get resistance.
    2016 Factory...Cujo
    2004 Hayabusa...Tango
    2006 Honda ST1300...STella
    2003 Zuma...no nick name

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks for the feedback, I wad afraid to force against the rotor but seems like it's the right way to do it.

apriliaforum Member
    definitely put some tape on the rims

apriliaforum newb
    So it did wok well compressing the pistons against the hub!
    But as fr0st said, it seems that the pads were still good for some time...Most important is that I will go on track with peace of mind (will ride it tomorrow to prepare the pads)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190823_212008.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	387123

Quote Originally Posted by fragman View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, I wad afraid to force against the rotor but seems like it's the right way to do it.
    Dont force or pull too hard or you will bend the disc rotor, just a gentle pressure to allow the pads to push the pistons back is enough