Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear wheel bearing.

Rear wheel bearing.

The rear wheel bearing is no longer available from Aprilia.
    Any idea where to buy one?
    I understand it is possible to put two single in, but then the speedo is dead since there are magnets in it to make pulses.
    Is there a fix?
    Hans

might be time to rename this section of the forum - RSTeam Obsolete.

Yellow Shirt

Never give up!

RAS you don“t give up do you?

The Fut is still a piece of artwork (but the bearing )

Maybe a stupid question but... Anyone knows as if its no longer available from Aprilia by itself... could it be possible SKF may produce it for public now?

greets

Iirc the conversation correctly, there is a manufacturer’s part number. But Aprilia has sole rights to that part.

It would take Aprilia to let go of that contract to allow the manufacturer to sell direct or even to a general bearing distributor. Hard to know how much a limited run of a part like that would cost. It could be sticker shock in a big way.

The last know solution is to fit two SKF bearings 6008-2RS1 (40x68x15) and a 1mm sleeve glued with loctite 603 http://tds.henkel.com/tds5/Studio/Sh...EN&plant=WERCS

With the speedo any from bicycle works or keep your radar jammer !

Best is to get a used rear swing arm & take the KING BEARING, one of our french fut guy do that this year & it goes well.

It is possible to ride without speedo if you memorize speed limit with gear/rpm/speed, I've done that when my speedo needle was broken.

Somewhere, someone has posted the number of magnets in that ring for the speedo. Wonder if it would be possible to create a ring - much like what we see for ABS systems with the correct number of magnetic segments that's attached inside of the disk rotor. Then it would just be a matter of moving the bit that's inside of the eccentric that "sees" the ring.

I had a quick look a week ago and it seems like there's room. Have no idea how strong the OE magnets inside the king bearing are, but maybe that rubberized magnetic sheet stuff glued to and alloy ring would be enough. Something like this stuff https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Magnet.../dp/B0068S6M3C there's basically a refrigerator on the planet w/o someone's advert in magnetic rubber

A bicycle speedometer would tell you how fast yer going, but w/o a running factory odometer, I don't think this state will not allow a vehicle to pass safety inspection.

From a previous question on a different thread the Futura reads 32 magnetic nodes.
    I an going to copy the bearing info though....

KB

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

It has already been done.
    And it works great.
    OEM sensor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20190821-WA0012.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	387323  

Last edited by Hansb; 08-28-2019 at 01:20 AM.
    Hans

Sweet. Don't remember you posting this before.

What exactly are we looking at? Did you drill holes in the sprocket carrier and insert magnets? How did you fasten the sensor to the clamshell?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hans, could you provide more details? Especially about type of the magnets and how it secured to the surface.

Thanks!
    English is not my native language, so please be kind to my mistakes.

Remember, this is an Italian bike with an Austrian motor, it isn't like the GSXR you use to own...

I found that (to avoid 1mm sleeve ?) :

https://www.123bearing.eu/bearing-DG4070A-KOYO.php

It is not my bike.
    The owner has promised me more info.
    According to him it works just fine.
    Speedo is correct, but milage is 5% low.

Its a 20€ fix instead 500€.
    Bearings used is 40×70x15 Koyo.
    The magnets is 5x3mm , ebay.
    Hans

5% error is pretty much nuthin. Once upon a time, reading 10% high was pretty common - and that was before there was GPS.

Would be better if those bearings were fully sealed. Moisture does somehow inside that assembly and the outside is exposed to weather.

Getting the spacing right to set the magnets - now that's gonna take some machining skills.

Now, if one of our newly found 3d printing experts could fabricate a ring complete with magnets, now that would be very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by RAS View Post
    Now, if one of our newly found 3d printing experts could fabricate a ring complete with magnets, now that would be very cool.

Fully sealed bearing are not water tight i.e front wheel bearings, when I replace them they have internal rust (SKF brand !!)

Koyo are half sealed and if you fit them with the seals on external side (opposite) & put loctite sealant 542 on external part of bearings rings you can get a good tight fitting, stay the magnetic ring pb.....

SKF king bearing is not water tight too, each time I took off one, each time I found internal rust .

Is there a way with regrinding the inner race ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb1MNn6LVis

https://scheererbearing.com/uploads/...econdition.pdf

https://www.timkenpowersystems.com/l...-services.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inner race 3.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	387424  

32 magnets glued in the sprocket carrier is IMO the best option so far. Make a template, mark and drill holes for 32 magnets is not that complicated. A partly open bearing can be a problem. But I checked the workshop manual and part list. There are sealings on both sides inside the hub. And replacing the bearings will be a walk in the park. It will also be easier to open the hub for cleaning and add new grease.
    May be regrinding a damaged bearing as Herve“ suggest is the way to go. Have no idea about the cost.
    Have also checked with SKF-Europe. The SKF BA2-9922 was not avaliable in the database.
    A fabricated ring with magnets has to be locked to the inner part of the bearing. It has to rotate with the wheel. That can be tricky.
    Anyway, the fact is that a stock bearing is not available any more. If we want to make the OEM speedo work, we must look for options.
    I bought my first Futura in 2001, and have built a quite massive spare part store over the years. But no rear wheel bearing.
    In a month or so the season is over here. The glacier I can see from my house starts growing again.
    This will be this winters most funniest project.
    Hans

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast