Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Debunk Aprilia Reliability!

apriliaforum expert
    Two kinds, the riders who do preventative maintenance/address known niggles as the cost of ownership and the ones who don't and then complain about repair costs and reliability.

Even rocks fail if you beat on them enough.
    ETV stands for Extra-Terrestrial Vehicle. The only thing better than having one is having two.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Rode my 2015 RSV4 for almost 4 years and put over 12,000 miles on it before trading it on my new 2018 RSV4RFLE. I adjusted the valves at around 8,000 miles and did normal oil changes and checks. Bike was tracked several times and performed flawlessly. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	APE1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	387062Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0075.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	387063

apriliaforum expert
    I recognize that 07, cause its mine..... Thank you for selling it to me. i love it. The stator did go south on that bike, but that is a known issue and every Japanese bike that came with that stator had the same issue. When you get ready to sell that 04 Factory let me know!! I had a silver 04 Factory and always wanted a black one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoombyu View Post
    I would say Iíve been one of the lucky ones as I havenít had a single known problem out of 4 Aprilias besides the bad fuel sending unit in the caponord. I donít think itís luck as Iíve had issues out of about half the Japanese bikes Iíve owned and if you get on their forums you would think they are all falling apart as well. People get on forums a lot of the time because of problems and I believe more never do because of no reason to. I have 3 friends with Aprilias that have never been on this site because they just ride theirs and have no reason to.
    Not to say one wonít break tomorrow but that goes along with anything mechanical. I would much rather have something different with a feeling of special than one of the hundreds of thousands of gsxr or r1 out there ( Boring)!
    2007.5 tuono no known problems when sold and as far as I know still problem free. 2015 caponord fuel sending unit in 18000 miles no other problems. 2004 Rsv Factory, 6800 miles and although I just bought from original owner no known problems to date and nothing to show otherwise. 2017 Tuono 5000 miles and has been flawless!Attachment 386931Attachment 386932Attachment 386933Attachment 386934
    The man who makes a beast of himself rids himself of the pain of being a man. Foreword to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by CapoEVT View Post
    Two kinds, the riders who do preventative maintenance/address known niggles as the cost of ownership and the ones who don't and then complain about repair costs and reliability.

Even rocks fail if you beat on them enough.
    Exactly!!
    The man who makes a beast of himself rids himself of the pain of being a man. Foreword to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Futura stator took a crap. Caponord had an electrical gremlin. Tuono, shit rear brake. High pressure fuel hose split. Frankly, that should be upgraded anyway. That's about it.
    Bikes:
    2007.5 Tuono-Black, with 1102cc's of micah's badness!
    2012 Griso-Silver and black, Agostini pipe, some carbon bits.
    2006 Vespa GT200-bitubo suspension all around, Malossi big-bore, head and cam, Akrapovic pipe, all put together by Micah.

gone 2002 Caponord-Oyster gray (as faithful as a hound dog)
    gone Futura-Red (on the AF1 showroom floor. Get some.)

The more I learn about people, the more I appreciate rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by jrflanne View Post
    Tuono, shit rear brake.
    Mine was delivered new with air in it, a real PITA to bleed out: Held it upside down, moved it all around above swingarm, finally got all air out, now great--was essential going downhill in gravel parking lots...

The hot wire for the high beam headlights pulled out of the relay on 05 Tuono Factory: Wiring too short (copper is >$ expensive now due to all the electronics goods). Brown connector/rectifier/relay charging problem on 04 Futura, that's all I can think of besides normal maintenance or dealer mistakes. I must say that I do most, if not all my own work, ALWAYS store the bikes in tight, sometimes heated garages, and cover them with a quality waterproof cover when traveling.

LMAO!--"Even rocks fail if you beat on them!"

The naysayers/whiners are over-represented in most surveys because as a group they are more vocal then all others. My 5 Aprilias are the most reliable bikes I've owned out of ~30 Italian and ~40 bikes overall.

The days of really unreliable bikes are behind us, competition is so fierce that not many makers of any vehicle could stay in business if otherwise. We also have to understand that the cost, regulatory/safety, noise, emissions constraints on vehicle production are immense.
    The Patriarch of the SuperNaked: '05 TF

Aprilias formerly owned: '02 ETV 1000 Caponord, '00 650 Pegaso Cube, '04 RST 1000 Futura, '99 RS 50 (70)

Too many other bikes to list!

My rear brake never worked. Sent it to MI. My brother hung a mid 90{s gsxr MC on it and now works flawlessly. I tried everything, including a new MC, rearsets, AF1 Micah superbleed. It would work for a little while. Then nothing. I think some just had a manufacturing defect.
    Bikes:
    2007.5 Tuono-Black, with 1102cc's of micah's badness!
    2012 Griso-Silver and black, Agostini pipe, some carbon bits.
    2006 Vespa GT200-bitubo suspension all around, Malossi big-bore, head and cam, Akrapovic pipe, all put together by Micah.

gone 2002 Caponord-Oyster gray (as faithful as a hound dog)
    gone Futura-Red (on the AF1 showroom floor. Get some.)

The more I learn about people, the more I appreciate rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by FTM View Post
    The reliability of the first generation Mille/Tuono are the best kept secret in biking as far as I'm concerned. The 1986 onwards Honda VFR's are often said to be the best built and most reliable bikes ever, but in my humble opinion the build quality on the Aprilia's is as good and the reliability better. I've no idea about later models because I haven't worn out my 2002 Tuono yet, it runs as well today as day one.
    Quote Originally Posted by millietant View Post
    People who say Aprilia's are unreliable as a brand are only exhibiting how little they know about Aprilia motorcycles and probably about motorcycles in general.

My personal experience is that my 2003 RSV is the most reliable motorcycle I've ever had - especially given its use, in that most of its miles were done riding round the Nurburgring Nordschleife. Not a single mechanical or electrical issue in 15 years, other than normal service item replacement (chains, sprockets, fluids, brake pads, tyres etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by Diablo1 View Post
    ^^^^^ This.
    Bought my 2000 Mille-R in 2007 with 8500 miles on it. Now at 39,000 miles and only routine maintenance. Valves never needed adjustment and the bike has never been to a dealer. In 2016, I bought a new Tuono Factory, now also at 39,000 miles. Again, only routine maintenance by me, except dash was replaced under warranty. I donít know of anything more reliable. As with any brand, if you can do your own maintenance, you will save a lot of $. Parts availability is excellent through AF1, as Aprilia keeps a model in production a long time.
    Each of these is spot on. My 2000 RSV that I bought in 2004 w/ 6500 mi. has been the best mechanical thing I have ever owned. Up until this past weekend the only thing it has needed (other than wear items) is an exhaust shim and the clutch bearing. That is after 65,000 miles of riding. I have a long ride coming up in a couple weeks & was scuffing the steels in the clutch pack to get it back to full grip. I accidently let the clutch shaft slip out of the slave and couldn't get it back in, so had to pull the slave off. Of course that prompted the seal to start leaking. :-( Anyway, ordered one from AF1 on Tuesday and USPS got it to my mail box in NH this morning! Just crazy turn around times. So, it should be sorted tonight and ready to continue tomorrow.

My only decision in the future will be do I build up a 1060 for this one, or just get a newer Tuono. I do know my next bike will be an Aprilia.
    2000 RSV -All of the normal stuff
    2016 YZ250FX - Ice/Dirt Whore

"DUDE, don't worry. We can fix it. My old man's a television repair man... he's got an awesome set of tools..."

Just back from my 20000 km service. 17 tv4 factory. All valves within spec. No adjustment needed.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk
    I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered. (George Best, RIP)

I have about 50000 miles on my 2004 tuono..had to change starter sprag at 45000..
    Once you have ruined your reputation, you can live quite freely

04 Aprilia Tuono (hers)
    04 Aprilia Tuono
    04 Aprilia RSV1000r (destroyed 8/23/19, was my first )
    08 Aprilia Tuono (hers)
    04 Aprilia SR50 (hers)
    13 Honda cbr250r (hers)
    16 Honda cbr500r

My 100K mile, 17 yr old Aprilia breaks now and then since 50K,
    but I just fix it and keep going.
    '02 Futura, Blue
    100,000 miles !

Why is this the end result for so many?

Name:  motorcycle-salvage.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  82.0 KB
    The Patriarch of the SuperNaked: '05 TF

Aprilias formerly owned: '02 ETV 1000 Caponord, '00 650 Pegaso Cube, '04 RST 1000 Futura, '99 RS 50 (70)

Too many other bikes to list!

apriliaforum expert
    I've owned an RS50, 01 Mille, 04 RSVR, 09 DD750, and 14 Tuono. A total of 2 batteries, countless tires, oil/filter. That's it. No other failures of any kind.

However, I did buy a 07 SXV550. Well, that was Aprilia's biggest success and biggest failure. Own one and you'll know what i'm talking about.
    2014 Tuono

Previous:
    2013 CB500X
    06 GSXR 750
    2009 SMV750
    2006 Ducati 749
    07 SXV5.5
    05 DRZ400SM
    04 RSVR
    94 Honda ST100
    03 SV650 Track bike
    01 Mille
    00 GSXR750

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower220 View Post
    However, I did buy a 07 SXV550. Well, that was Aprilia's biggest success and biggest failure. Own one and you'll know what i'm talking about.
    I had on 07 also. Was as reliable as any other bike ive owned. (I was probably more in tune with the upkeep tho )
    2004 Tuono

The Anal Intruder William the Third's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    Name:  motorcycle-salvage.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  82.0 KB
    Because humans suck.
    #1 Forum Loser

1973 Harley-Davidson Aermacchi Z-90 - Restoration project
    1983 Kawasaki KZ750 Spectre - Fathers old bike
    1998 Kawasaki KE100 - My first bike at 14
    1998 Laverda Ghost Strike 668 - A fun little bike