Thread: Front sprocket was on backwards ... did I damage it?

apriliaforum newb

Front sprocket was on backwards ... did I damage it?

Hey everyone... I just realized halfway through a 1500 mile trip that I must have installed the front sprocket on backwards. Iím usually the guy that double checks the service manual, anguishes over maintaining the bike properly so it made me sick to see I must have installed the front sprocket backwards. I noticed it was alittle more buzzy than usual and to my despair I discovered the improperly installed sprocket. Did I do damage to my transmission/engine? The engine seems to pass through a buzzy period between 4500 rpms and 5000. Hopefully thatís harmonic and normal. Thanks for any advice

apriliaforum expert
    Change the sprocket and chain. While 1500 miles isn't all that much, unless money is a pinch, just change out the final drive components. You aren't the first one to have this happen and even service dealers do it.

I doubt any damage was done to the tranny. It's crap changing sprockets and chain after just doing it but so what?

I no longer try to eek out mileage from parts, change them and enjoy peace of mind.
    ETV stands for Extra-Terrestrial Vehicle. The only thing better than having one is having two.

apriliaforum prov-nov blacklines's Avatar
    Surely it can't be that bad can it? If anything there'll be accelerated wear on the sprocket and chain but after 700 miles I wouldn't be replacing it.
    Owen

apriliaforum expert
    It depends on a guys tolerance for risk. What is the upside for continuing with a worn sprocket and chain? We know what the downside is so it comes down to Murphy.

I look at it this way, if someone offered me a chain and sprockets set that had the front sprocket installed the wrong way and used for 700 miles, would I accept it as a gift and put it on my Capo? There is the answer. The cost savings is a few tankfulls of gas.
    ETV stands for Extra-Terrestrial Vehicle. The only thing better than having one is having two.

I'll accept it as a gift. How many links is it?

True though, it does come down to risk tolerance I guess. Safest to replace but if it were me I'd continue to run it. And I have a good mental image of what a broken chain can do if it hits you.

I just think it's only out of alignment by about 10mm with the sprocket on backwards. You could be further out on the rear with poor wheel alignment, and the rear sprocket would also be off parallel too.

Choice is yours with the chain and sprockets but I'd say the engine and transmission would be perfectly fine. You haven't subjected them to any unusual loads, it'll be the chain and sprockets that have taken the wear.
    Owen

apriliaforum expert
    700 miles! Christ - turn the sprocket over and keep riding
    I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy

apriliaforum newb
    I appreciate all the feedback. I know ....it probably came across as a stupid question. I really thought I could have damaged something. I’m gonna throw the chain in the bin. For piece of mind. It wore the sprocket pretty good on the outside edge.

apriliaforum expert
    Never a stupid question unless you look in a mirror and ask "who are you?"

That's the beauty of the forum, different perspectives and in the end, it's still your own choice.

apriliaforum newb
    I just think it's only out of alignment by about 10mm with the sprocket on backwards. You could be further out on the rear with poor wheel alignment, and the rear sprocket would also be off parallel too.
    Ten mm is working toward a half an inch. Chain is only, what, 5/8" wide?
    Displaced by nearly the width of the chain is a lot more than you will get by mis-aligning the rear wheel, unless one chain adjuster is all the way forward and the other all the way back, and I have seen a lot of fools in my life, but never seen that degree of mis-alignment.

So yeah, that is pretty bad. I would chuck the sprockets and chain, give myself a well-deserved kick in the ass, learn the lesson and move on.

Maybe 10mm was an exageration. It's probably no more than 4mm. I'll have to look at a sprocket but I'm sure it's not a huge deflection over the length of the chain.

Name:  JTF704.png
Views: 29
Size:  9.2 KB
    Owen