Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuel pump not priming, fuel pump relay not clicking.

Quote Originally Posted by kzmille View Post
    That yours runs when the starter button is pushed should tell you the fuel pump circuits are not your problem.
    Only it doesn't, that is what I've been saying. Key is turned on, only the kill switch relay clicks, no humming from the pump. And when the starter button is pushed it cranks but doesn't start, apparently because the fuel pump doesn't work and no electricity goes to the coils. But when 12v fed to the pump from external power the pump is humming, so that should tell me the fuel pump is ok and the fault lies somewhere else. ECU ??? The rest components (relays, continuity etc) have been checked already. Unless I'm missing something...

Okay, I'm sorry. I though I read that you said the pump ran when the starter button was pushed. I see that was someone else.

Do you have adequate battery voltage? Constantly clicking relays is often a sign of low voltage.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU - remember Sandra Bland

No need to apologize.
    Yes Battery is fine. I learned my lesson long time ago that the battery has to be In perfect condition to use it on this motorbike.

Dear Falconeers, I have managed to trace the fault. As usual was the most simple reason, a cut off wire.
    It was the wire feeding the pump fuel relay and the HV coil from the kill switch relay in the wiring braid under the ECU tray, go figure...
    Bike fired up, so all is well.
    Thanks everyone who has participated in helping me, especially stuntmachine who has even offered to bring his own spare ECU all the way from Poland to England for me to try it out !

Glad to hear. So we're all quite sure about the culprit, when you are in there again would you take a pic and post it up? Please/thanks.

Dogs are the best people.

Name:  IMG_20190827_194328.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  60.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_20190827_194344.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  86.7 KB

There you go Pal.
    I said it was under the ECU tray, well more likely under the diode, inside the braided sleeving.

Great sleuthing!

Dogs are the best people.

i haven't posted in .....years. so, here goes.
    i did a search for my (possible) fuel pump issue. i haven't ridden my falco in about 4 years. it's been in storage. i put in a brand new battery and tried to start it two days ago. nothing. it turned over without a problem, but would not fire. i am getting spark. i did notice that my fuel pump isn't making any noise when i turn the key, so i figured it must be the pump. i bought a new one off of ebay, plugged it in (not installed in the tank yet), turned the key......nothing. no noise at all. i need to read over this thread again to see if i have the same situation.
    OP....are you saying that a wire was cut? on that same module you took a picture of, i found a wire that had rubbed bare (the brown one) but i've already taped it.
    all of my connections seem to be tight. i've unplugged and re-plugged everything under the seat. i am really stumped.
    "Buy land. They've stopped making it"...........Mark Twain

Falco03, Yes, that's what it was.
    First thing you had to do was to feed the fuel pump with an external power. 12v straight to the pump to see if it's humming before you buy new one. I hadn't check parts before buying new ones and I ended up regretting because It was an unnecessary buying.
    Next thing I would do is to test the relays. If you have the workshop manual will tell you how to do it. Next is to check the continuity all of the wiring system that involving in the ignition system. While you doing this, soak all of the terminals/harness/pins with contact cleaner. In some occasions you might have to scrape the corrosion. Do the same thing on the diode module as in my occasion due to the corrosion on the pins the neutral light wasn't present. Don't forget to check the fuses that involved in the ignition system plus the sidestand switch, the tip over switch and all the usual suspects that it might prevent the bike from starting over. But I bet you know all this stuff already after owning the Falco for such a long time.

chrisz....well, i made the same mistake you did - bought a pump before testing the old one. i will hook it straight to the battery first thing. i have already looked at the fuses. no problem there. some of theconnectors going to various relays and such had a tiny amount of corrosion on the pins. i will definitely clean them up. in the past i've had issues with the neutral light staying on. i've disconnected the micro switch, then it goes out. there's some short somewhere in there. but it never affected the starting or running of the bike. you really did a great job sleuthing out the problem. i hope to do the same. i don't have a manual to test the relays. gotta see if there's a link somewhere.
    Last edited by falco03; 08-28-2019 at 09:09 PM.

ok......i didn't have time to look into the relay situation, but i did verify one thing. i hooked the pump directly to the battery and it runs great. so, the problem lies between the battery and the pump. it pisses me off that i bought a pump when i apparently didnt need it. the thing that bothers me is that it ran before i stored it. what can go wrong during storage? perhaps corrosion.
    one thing - where is the diode module?

Believe me, I'm on the same situation with one of my bikes. Yamaha XVS Dragstar classic 650, stored it in great condition six years ago and took all the necessary precautions. Fired it up every year until battery dies, for two consecutive years didn't do anything on it, ( bike is in another country ) bought a new battery tried to start it up, it cranks but doesn't start. That "run before stored" is a very tricky thing, 9 times out of ten everything will go wrong for various reasons. One thing is for sure, you have to run the engine at least once every month in order to avoid this sort of issues. See the photos above, it's the first greyish little box in line with the all the relays. 1st photo you can see it clearly.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    That 1st pic is the diode that gets a mention on here a bit , controls safety features so we don't kill ourselves on start up and take off etc .

thanks desmodave.....and chrisz. that diode is the one that has a VERY tiny bit of corrosion on the pins. i will clean it. if that is supposed to click when the key is on, it doesn't.
    i did check a of the harness that enters the tank. what little i DO know about using an ohm / volt meter tells me that the wires in that harness are all good. on another note, i took that fuel pump that i just removed and hooked it to the battery. runs great. damn it. both relays click when the key is turned on. i'm gonna research on how to test that diode and see what i can see.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12