Thread: Did the sxv starter motors ever get better or are the same for all the build years?

apriliaforum Member

Did the sxv starter motors ever get better or are the same for all the build years?

See above. My bike has had the starter re wired (twice) by Ricks motorsport electrics and yet the other day on a cool but not cold morning the bitch wouldn't start and after a few rounds of on and off and retry now I just get the dreaded click when I push the starter button. I have checked the fuses and I am running a sho rai Li-Ion battery so I am worried the starter is pooched...again.

Any thoughts.

Thanks

T

apriliaforum Member
    The starter is a bit on the small side, but what kills them are engine not set up properly or bad wiring/battery cca. Also, keep the starter engaged until it has started properly so there is no kickback.

apriliaforum expert
    Is it an 06' model?

Has it had starter gear upgrade?

apriliaforum Member
    It is an 07 that has been remapped but I am not sure what map was put in. It was done at a local Ducati dealership so that should tell you something. It was way better on start up after the remap. Meaning it would actually start rather than before. Can anyone tell me what the best map for everyday use is? what is the starter gear upgrade?

Map questions are about the same as oil questions; plenty of different opinions.

Early bikes used a different ratio of gearing for the starter motor. There is a few posts listing the case numbers for each model indicating which ones had old gears, machines cases and new gears.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SXVINWA View Post
    Map questions are about the same as oil questions; plenty of different opinions.

Early bikes used a different ratio of gearing for the starter motor. There is a few posts listing the case numbers for each model indicating which ones had old gears, machines cases and new gears.
    So, in the right circumstance the starter motor would be worked less hard while the resulting motor spin would be a bit lower but still enough to get her going? Just want to be clear. I assume it is major surgery to change that ratio, because there isn't one damn thing on these bikes that is easy.

Feeling frustrated cuz when she's running it's the most fun I've had on a bike ever. Just tired of having to replace something every...single...time.

apriliaforum Junkie
    The original problem with not turning over could just have been the plugs, which foul quickly if you're only using it on the street where you can't really go full tilt constantly. At least that's what it was for me when the starting took longer and longer over the course of a season. That said, now that you have the clicking, it might just be the battery since the lithiums don't have a lot of capacity. Try boosting it with a car battery to rule it out, then change your plugs and hope you don't need to open the motor. Oh, and check the list to see if you already have the updated starting gears. It's not difficult, but it is tedious. I just did mine last week, including machining the case clearance with a dremel.

apriliaforum Junkie undergrounder's Avatar
    check your valve adjustments as well if it starts bad before you also destroy your valves
    My bike is my gym, my wheelchair and my church all in one. I'd like to ride my bike all day long but I've got this thing called a job that keeps getting in the way.

apriliaforum Member
    I actually only have about 300k(190miles ish) on a valve adjust so I don't think that's it. Going to have to check the plugs and see what's up. Gah! So tired of this process.