Thread: Breva 1100?

apriliaforum expert J.R. Bob Dobbs's Avatar

Breva 1100?

Iím considering going to look at a local B11. Comments welcome.
    Jap bikes suck.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Bob Dobbs View Post
    I’m considering going to look at a local B11. Comments welcome.
    A buddy owned a few 'Guzzi's, a Breva was his first. He loaned it to me for a day ride once, and it ended up getting me back into riding (I subsequently bought a 4V Griso). I would call it the Guzzi equivalent of the old "UJM"... Not really exciting, but will do just about anything...

apriliaforum expert coolonthecoast's Avatar
    I bought one as my first Guzzi. I thought it was a really good all rounder, the two valve heads gave a smoother power delivery than the sportier 4 valvers fitted to the Sport models. I subsequently had 2 1200 Sports with the 4 valve heads and as I've mentioned although more powerful I liked the Breva and I'd have another if I could find a decent one. Go have a look and take it for a ride if the owner will allow it. What have you got to lose?
    40 odd powered two wheelers over 40 odd years. Currently in the garage are a 2016 Tuono V4 1100RR and a '79 Honda CB550F

I don’t want to buy another bike. Damned Craigslist!
    Jap bikes suck.

Breva 11 and Griso 11 both use identical motors and drivelines apart from the Breva having higher primaries in the gearbox. Frames are different as are forks with the Breva using 'Conventional' forks and the Griso USD items, Merzochi and Showa respectively.

Clutch is a ten spring version of the venerable twin plater and is generally up to the task.

Things to look out for.

Unless informed otherwise assume that the swingarm bearings and shock linkage bearings are toast. They are never assembled with sufficient grease and especially the swingarm bearings are poorly sealed and prone to water intrusion. Once packed decently with marine grade grease they will last well.

Breva 11 dashboards have a bit of a reputation for being flakey. Check all its functions as replacements are expensive.

Pay close attention to the sealing paint on the throttle stop screws and linkage rod ball joints. These should never be adjusted as the W5AM system does not use a MAF sensor and the only way the ECU knows how much air is being flowed and therefore how much fuel needs to be supplied is via a direct interpretation of the throttle position. The throttlebodies are calibrated on a flow bench and messing with them is very hard to put right, especially if the TPS has been recalibrated.

Generally speaking the B11 is a good, solid, workhorse. Truly a ' Jack of all trades, master of none' machine and while that might sound like damning with faint praise it isn't meant to be. Like all the CARC series bikes they were grossly undervalued and deserved to be a lot more popular than they were.

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

We had an 06 Breva 1100 and put aprox 54,000 miles of 2up riding on it. I guess I had sellers remorse, as I went out and bought another 06 Breva 1100. Great "all arounder" with a symphony of sounds.

02 aprilia Futura
    15 aprilia Caponord 1200

apriliaforum expert coolonthecoast's Avatar
    This was the one I had:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2376 (2018_11_23 15_04_37 UTC).jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	387144

At the time I was working shifts (early morning starts and late night finishes). My commute was about 100 miles round trip each day. The Breva took it all in its stride and performed faultlessly. the only criticism I could level at it was the headlight wasn't great at high speed, but then show me a motorbike which does have a decent headlamp for fast riding in the dark, even now.
    40 odd powered two wheelers over 40 odd years. Currently in the garage are a 2016 Tuono V4 1100RR and a '79 Honda CB550F

Nice. That looks like the local one. I’ve about convinced myself not to look at it, as my Tuono is so satisfying. He MG just seems so cool, and they rarely turn up around here.
    Jap bikes suck.