Thread: RSV4 or Supermoto

apriliaforum newb

Question RSV4 or Supermoto

Hey guys, I'm looking for some different perspectives on this. I recently had my motorcycle stolen (Ducati 748), so I've been looking for a new bike. I've narrowed it down to either a 2012 RSV4 Factory (because of the looks, sound, and that visceral desire to own another Italian beauty) or a 2019 KTM 690 SMC-R (because of the fun/hooligan nature of the bike). I know that they are completely different bikes, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. And I also know that it depends what sort of riding I want to do - more city riding vs highway riding. The thing is, I like to do a little of everything. I have a car to commute, so a bike to me if purely for entertainment - a 30 minute ride around the city, or maybe several hours on canyons, etc. This will not be a track only bike.

That being said, I'm curious to see what RSV4 owners think. Does the RSV4 bring you that enjoyment that supermoto riders are always boasting about? Or do you feel like the RSV4 is just too fast to have fun with off the track? And if you guys could only have one bike would you stick with the RSV4 or would trade it for something else?

apriliaforum Junkie
    Iíve owned a 16 690R and a 10 Rsv4 and now now my 2nd 17 Tuono and I say get the KTM . If your in the city youíll get more enjoyment for the Ktm than a race bike . The RSV4 is the most comfortable super bike there is !!!! But she still a super bike and if your not turned up itís not much fun .

apriliaforum newb
    Dont overlook the Husky 701SM...it is an absolute hoot. You can do +120, carve the canyons with any bike, easily maneuver in city traffic and go places you shouldnt. I also love the RSV4 and they invoke two different people. I vote both!

I was very much in the same mindset. The truth is where a super is fun, IMO a bike with a lightweight chassis and 50+hp the KTM checks most boxes but I hate how you get a display the size used for a bicycle lol. Other than that its a good setup, however there are a few horror stories with parts on the KTM but then again I haven't owned a new ktm and mostly coming from the words of a local friend and ktm owner. I would say if you plan to do any riding via interstate and group rides further distances the RSV4 is the ticket imo. The small fuel tank of the super isnt gonna fetch a good range. But if you staying in town and slow speeds trust me none of the superbikes are no fun at low speeds and high traffic. The idea of jumping speed bumps and wheelies is always entertaining.

In the end I'd say the idea is to own both! As a solid supermoto is my next purchase!

apriliaforum expert brandonmccann's Avatar
    Why not a superduke? If you like that sort of cockpit style, superdukes are pretty fun. I had a buddy that had one when they came out.

I'll say though if you like hooliganism and wheelies then the supermoto is probably your better bet. Anyone I've ever seen with one goes nuts with wheelies haha.
    -----------------------------------------
    *WANT to BUY, sell 2 me plz* - Gilles/Racetorx Ti shift holder, Apex Mfg GP clip ons, Domino MotoGP grips, Robby Moto SBK rearsets; ​FOR 2012 RSV4

[SLAVE I] - 2009 Stage I Aprilia Shiver; 2013 - 2019(highside May 17th).
    [SLAVE II] -2012 Aprilia RSV4 APRC; current - Race ECU, Ti Racefit exhaust, EuroRacing throttle, CRG Arrows, HSBK seat, Melotti upper, tail tidy, road/track fairings, MWR filter, TWM GP levers, GBracing covers, Rizoma sprocket cover, Motobox signals, Marc1 screen, Samco kit,

Mix Italian and crazy supermoto.... SXV550
    2018 Tuono Factory
    2017 R1M
    2008 SXV 550 Street bike
    2007 SXV "450" Race bike
    2008 YZ450 Supermoto Race bike

apriliaforum Junkie
    Maybe SWM !

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks for all the input! I've considered all those bikes you guys mentioned (except for SWM? Never heard of them before, but they look awesome). After much deliberation, I narrowed it down to the RSV4 and SMC-R because they make me most excited. Ideally, I would like to buy both, but I do not have the space.

I think you guys have me leaning towards the 690!

apriliaforum Junkie
    I know I got real lucky but I have both, a 10 RSV4 factory and a 07 SXV 550. It's such a touch choice of which one to ride but you've covered those. I don't know which one I would give up first IF I had to. Oh and to mess with my choices even more I thought it would be cool to have a "inbetween" bike so last fall I pick up an 09 Dorsoduro. Just to add to my wife's insanity I guess.
    Ok I'm going to edit this and admit I will never give up my SXV!

I have an RSV4RR and a 701SM, the supermoto is for city stuff but I have hit the 'canyons' or twisties as we call them here a few times and its a blast. You can have a lot of fun on the SM without having to do warp speeds and with its upright riding position is great for getting around and through traffic.

apriliaforum Junkie
    I totally agree with wspawn. He nailed it.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by wspawn View Post
    I have an RSV4RR and a 701SM, the supermoto is for city stuff but I have hit the 'canyons' or twisties as we call them here a few times and its a blast. You can have a lot of fun on the SM without having to do warp speeds and with its upright riding position is great for getting around and through traffic.
    This is what I figured. You really can't substitute one for the other. The RSV4 is a gorgeous bike but since most of my riding is within the city, it would probably be a shame to have a rocket with nowhere to go. One day, when I have the space, I'll have one. Now might just not be that time.